T

Birds Of A Different Feather

Started by The Wooksta!, March 14, 2007, 03:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Deleted

Martin H

RAF Ju 352?  the RAE used 3 or 4 for a few months shifting confiscated stuff out of the British zone. Could we have got more for front line use?  that ramp would be a usefull tool in the Berlin airlift.

RAF SEAC Me 323's. There is mention in "warprises" that the RAF issued orders that any Me 323's found in the British zone were to be shipped to India ASAP for use in the SEAC area of ops. None were found.

Costal command JU-290's to replace the Lend-Lease B-24's ect (i have plans for a French navy 290 at some point.)

And aslo for coastal command, BV-222's. one hell of a beast fror stoogeing around the atlantic or indian ocean.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

GTX

How about some Focke Achgelis Fa-223 Drache Helicopters?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

In 1937 the Pegasus VI engine was installed on a Ju 52/3m on a trial basis.
3-blade Hamilton Standard props were used.

There is a photo in Lumsden's 'British Piston Aero-Engines and Their Aircraft'.

Cheers, Jon

nev

He-162s.  What was it, 100+ completed and lying around, another 800 odd all but complete?

Yes, I know some flew in RAF roundels for testing, but what if they were pressed into service in larger numbers?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

upnorth

What about the Arado Blitz in Coastal Command for those really high speed torpedo runs and ship strike work in the Channel and North Sea.

How about Heinkel 219 Uhus in SEAC for nighfighting against the Japanese?
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

B777LR

HE-111!
Ju-87C (the naval variant)
Bf-109T

rallymodeller

Do-335. Always wondered why this was never developed further -- it was arguably one of the best piston-engined fighters of WWII (on paper and in testing, anyway...)
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

gunfighter

The most advanced fighters in my oppinion were the Go229 and the Ta 183, the first had good potential and was nice too. The second, well, if the russians developed it, it´s a matter of luck the british didn´t get their hands on the designers. One aircraft that has always impressed me, for its oddity and performance, was the Lippisch p13a rocket fighter. Does anyone know if any of the later did flew as a complete aircraft, or was almost complete when found?

jcf

QuoteThe most advanced fighters in my oppinion were the Go229 and the Ta 183, the first had good potential and was nice too. The second, well, if the russians developed it, it´s a matter of luck the british didn´t get their hands on the designers. One aircraft that has always impressed me, for its oddity and performance, was the Lippisch p13a rocket fighter. Does anyone know if any of the later did flew as a complete aircraft, or was almost complete when found?
The only thing semi-'advanced' about the Go229 was its aerodynamics...structurally it was a hodgepodge of what they had available.

The P.13a was, like all rocket fighters, a pointless dead end.

Anyhow the Brits had their own designs for advanced aircraft that were ignored...why would they bother with German leavings?

jcf

Quotepiston-engined
You answer your own question.

nev

QuoteThe second, well, if the russians developed it, it´s a matter of luck the british didn´t get their hands on the designers.
Its also a matter of stupidity by the British that we gave the Russians our jet technology  <_<  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ysi_maniac

QuoteThe second, well, if the russians developed it, it´s a matter of luck the british didn´t get their hands on the designers.
Its also a matter of stupidity by the British that we gave the Russians our jet technology  <_<
I think that some british designers even scorned german designs IIRC
Will die without understanding this world.

B777LR

Yup, and if it wasnt for a mafulfuntioning sidewinder, they wouldnt have gotten missiles either ;)

During the Formosa Crisis a USAF Sabre fired a Sidewinder at a Chinese Mig-15. The Sidewinder got stuck in the fuselage of the Mig, and when the Mig landed, the missile was sold to russia, and few months later... AA-2....

gunfighter

Yes. I know the P13a was only a rocket, but remember that in late 50s and early 60s, we saw lots of point defense fighters that were just designed to climb fast and shoot a pair of missiles, and almost useless for anything else. You can discuss of course, but basically, this is the case of the EE Lightning, the F104A, and the top example, the MIG-25 Foxbat. Indeed, many interceptors of the time used rocket pods to get airborne and high FAST, just see Mirages, the SARO 177, etc.
Then why do you say the P13 was not a viable aircraft?
About the Go229, I still see it much more advanced than a F80, a F84 or a Gloster Meteor. You can always install avionics, weaponry, etc in the airframe if it is a good design.
:cheers: