What If The Usaf Got Tigercats?

Started by famvburg, March 15, 2007, 06:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famvburg

And gave them the On Mark engine conversion of the Counter Invaders & used them in SEA?

Shasper

There would be alot more stuff in 'Farmgate' than just B-26s and T-28s

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

tigercat2

Great minds must think alike!!  In my "alternate history", the F7F was purchased in great numbers by the Navy, and it was such a good aircraft for tactical close air support and interdiction (as proved by the Marines in Korea), that when the VN war started, hundreds were transferred to the Air Force (as F-65s, since that was the USAAF designation for a Tigercat variant , actually XP-65), and they performed very well in SEA.  I have a about 25 Tigercats in various schemes; I use the Monogram 1/72 kit; very easy to build and fun to dress up in different markings.  Some have 4 blade props from the A-1, to handle the increased power of the R-2800 as used in the B-26K; one has R-3350s.

Wes W.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

tigercat2

Here is the night attack 2 seat version, I cobbled two single seaters together, and it came out pretty well.

Wes W.

Glenn Gilbertson

Very smart! Interesting modelling of a beautiful aircraft.
:cheers:  

tigercat2

Here are a few more Tigercats, some in SEA cammo.

Wes W.

Radish

In my scenario, the Tigercat receives the P-65 designation. Later the F-65.

Cool.
Love the SE Asia idea and will have a go with some AMT ones in the stash. I've already bought resin wheel replacements for the crap kit ones.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

tigercat2

Here is a Tigercat modernized and in a current 2 tone paint scheme, serving with the National Guard.

Wes W.

frank2056

I love these Tigercats!

I thought of making one with twin jets in nacelles. So I doctored up a picture with Photoshop and added wingtip tanks:

I have a Monogram 1/72 F7F that's missing it's engines and an old Airfix Il-28 with just the right nacelles...

Frank

tigercat2

Frank,

Your jet Tigercat looks great!!  I have thought about a turboprop version, but don't have a donor kit.  T-56 engines as on the C-130 should look pretty good, and would more than double the power.

Wes W.

GTX

Love the Jet Tigercat - very plausible early naval entry into the jet era.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

frank2056

Actually, I think a turbo prop would make more "sense" - a twin jet Tigercat would have pretty short legs, even with the wingtip tanks. The IL-28 nacelles are handy because they also include the main landing gear.

I can't think of any good cheap, turboprop donor kits, though.

Frank

SPINNERS

What a doll that jet Tigercat is!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

elmayerle

QuoteActually, I think a turbo prop would make more "sense" - a twin jet Tigercat would have pretty short legs, even with the wingtip tanks. The IL-28 nacelles are handy because they also include the main landing gear.

I can't think of any good cheap, turboprop donor kits, though.
I can't think of any cheap turboprop donor kits either - but using the IL-28 nacelles and Wyvern props would work.  The other alternative would be to scratch-up a set of "Trent-Meteor" props.  Both approaches would, IMHO, work nicely with that nacelle.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin