Porco Rosso Kits

Started by Daryl J., March 17, 2007, 10:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

The new-tool Curtiss in 1/48 by Fine Molds is a beautiful little kit.  Even in 1/48 it is rather small compared to the Savoia.   The plastic is typical fantastic Japanese and avoids the rather rubbery or soapstone-like feel of kits moulded in mainland China.
Fit appears to be excellent.
An ideal source of purchase is www.hlj.com (can I say that here??) pricing out at under $24US.    American sources are more than double the price seemingly.

Additionally, the re-engined Savoia with a seat for Fio is available now too.

Now if they would just tool some of Hayao Miyazaki's other flying craft.  :wub:

Cheers
Daryl J.

PS: If one hasn't seen Porco Rosso, it's worth getting.  Miyazaki loves airplanes and it shows.  Typically, the hero jumps in his craft and jets out to action.  Not Porco, he pre-flights.   Japan Air Lines really brought something of our interest successfully into the public eye in animation form.   Great stuff!!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

PanzerWulff

I have a couple of the Bandai Naussica kits The valey of the wind Gunship in 1/72 and the Nausicaa & Moewe Glider kit
I'm not sure if HLJ carries them I got them at a comic book convention (Arrgh now I have prooven more of my depths of Geekdom :blink: )
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

John Howling Mouse

Can you please confirm what the completed wingspan and overall length would be?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Son of Damian

hlj is a very good place to buy from as they don't charge a lot and the shipping is better than many places here in the states :)  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Daryl J.

JHM,

Dimensions are approximately 6 inches by 6 inches.   The fuselage itself without spinner is 4 and 5/8 inch long.   The wingspan is perhaps 3/32 of an inch over 6 inches.  Remember, it is only based on the R3C-2 and the kit was personally overseen by Hayao Miyazaki, not Curtiss drawings.  

Testors mis-label the wingspan of the Curtiss Racer by 2 inches as it is actually about 5 1/2 inches rather than the posted 7 and 1/2 " .  

The kit looks like it could have been tooled by Hasegawa with beautiful panel lines and engraved rivets were applicable.  As to fit, I don't know yet.

HTH,
Daryl J.

PanzerWulff

I just ordered the late savoia myself as I have always liked the look of it I'll definatly let ya know how it looks and such
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Weaver

This guy does the Savoia and Curtis in 1/144th resin:

http://www.petersplanes.com/models/porco.htm

He's working on another one too (see "workshop" section).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Speaking of Curtiss R3Cs, I've long felt that the geared Packard 2A-1500 powered R3C-3 was the prettiest of the lot.

Jon