The Wife's Three Week Challenge!

Started by Gekko_1, March 18, 2007, 04:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gekko_1

My Wife, Criss, has given me a three week challenge!  :P The challenge is to build a model, any model, in three weeks, enjoy the build and not use any aftermarket products, except decals! If I succeed in the challenge she will buy me the next issue of Tamiya Model Magazine International! Not bad hey! :D  :unsure:

Anyway I began the model on the 14th of March and have until the 4th of April to get it done. I've decided to build the Trumpeter 72nd scale Wyvern and will be finishing it in this scheme.

Anyway here's how things are progressing.

With the basics of the cockpit glued

I inserted (not glued!) the cockpit into the fuselage side

and clamped (but not glued!) the two fuselage sides together to make sure the cockpit set with everything aligning properly

Now the cockpit is set and I can add the rest of the parts to it and paint it.

The next thing I wondered about was if I could somehow make it so that I could insert the propeller assembly at a later date in order to make painting and clean-up a little easier

So I marked out and drilled out a slot in parts A3 and A2 so that once the fuselage was assembled I could easily slot the propeller assembly into the nose.

It didn't need to look "pretty" because it wouldn't be visible once the fuselage was together. ;)

That's it so far, stay tuned! :P

:cheers:

Richard.

Allan

I'm cheering from the sidelines Richard

Hope you make the deadline.

Love the green arrows. How do you do it?

Allan in Canberra

Gekko_1

QuoteI'm cheering from the sidelines Richard

Hope you make the deadline.

Love the green arrows. How do you do it?

Allan in Canberra
Thanks Allan,

the green arrows were added in Photoshop.

Richard.

cthulhu77

Love the plan, man !  Also, are those mini clamps the best thing since sliced bread, or what ?

blue520

Are you blanking the camera windows as per your profile, or have not decided yet?

Hope the build goes well,

David.

Captain Canada

Looking good so far ! That is one sweet little kit, eh ? Nice idea for the prop assembly.

I should dig mine out !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Shasper

Gee, I wish my luvy lady would something like that :(

Keep going dude, I want to see this honey lookin like its prom night!

SHas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

BlackOps

GO! GO! Go!

Very creative on the engine insertion technique! I love when you do a step by step :)

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Gekko_1

QuoteLove the plan, man !  Also, are those mini clamps the best thing since sliced bread, or what ?
Yeah, gotta love the mini clamp! :D  

Gekko_1

QuoteAre you blanking the camera windows as per your profile, or have not decided yet?

Hope the build goes well,

David.
Yes David I'll be blanking the camera windows, well, painting over the clear parts in this case.

Gekko_1

QuoteThat is one sweet little kit, eh ?

Yeah, its a great little kit, really enjoying the build so far. I've uncounted no major fit problems, just a bit of sanding and shaving.

QuoteI should dig mine out !

Absolutely! Do it!

Gekko_1

QuoteI love when you do a step by step :)

Thanks Jeff, hopefully we can all learn something! :D  

Gekko_1

OK guys here we are with 15 days to go!

Here we see the underside of the top of the inner wing section, parts B11 & B14. As you can see there is a major ejector pin mark to fill. I used Mr Surfacer 500. Also there are some other ejector pin marks that will need to be shaved off.

Here you see the resulting gap/fit problems caused by the offending ejector pin marks.

Here all is taken care of. Fit was very good. Don't forget to fill those ejector pin marks!

Here's where I'm at as of today 20th of March. Next I can begin to paint!

Richard.

nev

If this is half as good as your 262 it will be stunning!  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

B777LR

QuoteIf this is half as good as your 262 it will be stunning!  B)
how could it not be :rolleyes: