The Wife's Three Week Challenge!

Started by Gekko_1, March 18, 2007, 04:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Gekko_1

Well guys amazing how life gets in the way hey!

Had to rush the daughter to hospital with a bleeding cyst on her ovary, she's twelve! She was only in for 24 hours and didn't need surgery and is fine now, plus the wife has come down with a bad flu virus which meant me taking on even more of the Mr Mum role which meant no modelling or much else as the demands of three kids and a sick wife is, as you can imagine is quite high! :dum:

Anyway things are back on track now and I've been given a two day extension! So now I have until the 6th of April! :P

Applying the wing tips is a little tricky! What I did was ensure a good fit on the top of the wing, which left a step on the underside.

Here we see the step has been shaved and sanded off, only took a couple of minutes. Still a little more sanding and a bit of polishing needed.

As you can see there is a little gap between the wing tip and the aileron, this could have been reduced by spending a little more time checking the fit, so learn from my haste! :dum:

Here we see super glue added to the underside gap. It will be sanded and polished and re-scribed, also note the scribing slip that will need to be dealt with! :wacko:

Here we see one of the camera ports glued in place, no problems except that tiny little bubble at the bottom. Keep in mind just how magnified these images are, after all its only a 72nd scale model.

Disaster! :angry: Being a bit too hasty with the liquid glue! :dum: This will take me a while to repair, so again, learn from my error and don't be too rushed and take your time. :P

Here we see the 'posts' that help with gluing and aligning the wings. Test fitting has shown the fit of the two wing pieces is very good.

Take note of the angles of these 'posts'.

Here we see the end of the gun stub cut off to receive a barrel later on.

:cheers:

Richard.

BlackOps

Looks like the gods of styrene are testing you!  Glad to hear your daughter is OK, sorry to hear the missus is under the weather. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.

Glad to see more progress pics but don't neglect the family too much  ;)  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

Hi Richard,

Great progress photos. I'm enjoying this built almost as much as you are.

What a relief your daughter wasn't in very much danger and she's well again. And look after your wife well. It's not good having a sick family on your hands.

On using the superglue, how long before you start sanding the stuff?

Allan in Canberra

van883

Hi Richard
good to see your model progressing. However I wonder if your 12 year old daughter appreciates having her gynaecological problems broadcast to the world....

cheers

Van

nev

As you can see there is a little gap between the wing tip and the aileron, this could have been reduced by spending a little more time checking the fit, so learn from my haste! :dum:
I really wouldn't worry too much about that Richard.  We tend to forget that real life aircraft don't always "fit".  I'll never forget the horrendous gaps on the Me262 me and NARSES saw at the RAF museum!

Best wishes to your wife and daughter!  :ar:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

Nice job on that detail work, wow !

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Sorry to hear about the wee Gekko-ette, my eldest is same age..... Keep the project pics coming.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Gekko_1

QuoteOn using the superglue, how long before you start sanding the stuff?
Allan, I usually leave super glue for a couple of hours before I start sanding it.

One thing I learnt the hard way though is not to leave it for a couple of weeks because it goes rock hard and is impossible to sand without destroying the much softer plastic around it. So definitely don't leave it for too long before sanding it.

That particular wing tip was left for a day and a half before I got back to it and it sanded fine.

Also only ever work on small areas at a time.

Richard.

Gekko_1

QuoteHi Richard
good to see your model progressing. However I wonder if your 12 year old daughter appreciates having her gynaecological problems broadcast to the world....

cheers

Van
She didn't mind Van. I mentioned it because I find modellers, modelling and the hobby as a whole very interesting and this three week build is an experiment in so many different ways.

We often hear/read about modellers that can't get motivated to start building again. Wether it be because they couldn't be bothered, or are distracted by the Internet or Computer games, or are put off because they see other peoples work and it intimidates them to the point that they give up and start knitting jumpers!

Modellers families and friends also play an important part in the hobby. I thought the inclusion of details of what can hold-up the completion of a model to be very relevant to this particular build as there is a three week restriction on the build and lets face it things happen and in this instance something potentially very serious did happen but thankfully she's fine now.

Richard.

Gekko_1

QuoteI really wouldn't worry too much about that Richard.  We tend to forget that real life aircraft don't always "fit".  I'll never forget the horrendous gaps on the Me262 me and NARSES saw at the RAF museum!
Ah yes Nev, but when your a recovering anal retentive things like this can make your heart skip a beat! :lol:  :lol:

Richard.

John Howling Mouse

QuoteAh yes Nev, but when your a recovering anal retentive things like this can make your heart skip a beat! :lol:  :lol:

Richard.
Richard, that's spelled as "you're" ("...when you're a recovering anal retentive...")   ;)

Anal-Retentive?  Takes one to know one!   :P
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Shasper

Gee, and I thought my GFs  dad would be the only one I'd run into. . .  ;)  :lol:

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Gekko_1

QuoteAh yes Nev, but when your a recovering anal retentive things like this can make your heart skip a beat! :lol:  :lol:

Richard.
Richard, that's spelled as "you're" ("...when you're a recovering anal retentive...")   ;)

Anal-Retentive?  Takes one to know one!   :P
Your absolutely correct JHM! :unsure:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Radish

Fascinating as ever.
glad the family is on the mend.

As for the "anal retentive" bit......when pushing a Spitfire into its parking space a few years back, after it'd flown into Coventry airport, I noticed that the gap at the wing joint was huge, definitely at least half an inch in places......

Glorious.
Some of the guys at IPMS Stafford are following this build as I tell them, and want a Whatif? Wyvern comp for the club!! :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen