The Wife's Three Week Challenge!

Started by Gekko_1, March 18, 2007, 04:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

Lookin' good, all of my current builds are about a month and a half behind schedule  :lol:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Gekko_1

OK guys, here's a little more on the Mr Surfacer/Metho method.

Here's the tools you'll need.

Unscrew the bottle top and fill with a little of the Methylated Spirits, dip one of the cotton buds into it...............

.........and rub/scrub back and forth over the area. Slowly the Mr Surfacer will dissolve into the cotton bud. Continue the process, replacing the cotton bud when necessary, until the desired amount of Mr Surfacer has been removed. Its as simple as that.

The end result wasn't as good as I was expecting so I applied a little more Mr Surfacer with a small brush, which is nicely out of focus in this shot :wacko:

I usually wait 24 hours before removing the Mr Surfacer by Methylated Spirits.

The brush is cleaned in Enamel thinner.

Normally at this stage I will clean up the remainder with a little wet and dry sand paper, used dry. But; as you can see, some more work will need to be done to clean up this area.

I could apply some more Mr Surfacer and see if that deals with the holes, but Super Glue will be applied this time!

Here's the applied Super Glue. I'll sand away at that tomorrow.

Be careful with the arrestor hook! :angry: I managed to knock it off whilst removing the mold seem! :dum:

Hope this has cleared things up a little :unsure:

:cheers:

Richard.

NARSES2

Thanks Richard - I now clear in my mind how to use Mr Surfacer

Chris

PS - Love the "Diggers" brand name  :D Buy it in the "Grog Shop" ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Allan

Thanks Richard

Looking forward to giving it a go myself

Allan in Canberra

Captain Canada

Ya, thanks ! I just tried to use that stuff myself about a week ago !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gekko_1

Hi guys,

a little more work has been done. ^_^

Even though the area in question is a little out of focus, the super glue did the job. The other arrow points to one of the catapult hooks that had decided it needed to go on an adventure! :(  Problem was that I wasn't sure when it had decided it was time to go, and therefore had no idea where to start looking! :dum:  After spending 20 minutes on the floor desperately looking I found it within easy reach on top of the modelling table under a sanding block! It is now firmly super glued in place! :wacko:

As you can see here the filling and engraving of the camera port has worked out well.

Guns have now been installed.

Brass tubing cut to length and super glued in. Simple and effective.

To attach small pieces like this I use Matt Acrylic varnish.

Providing the part is small and light enough and won't be put under any strain acrylic varnish works well as it dries flat and blends in to the paintwork very well.

Time to clean-up the clear parts! Tedious but worth the effort. Firstly trim off the mould attachment point, then sand flat. Next I will polish the scratches out with Tamiya polishing compound, wash in soapy water, let dry, then dip in Future.

I was keen to see roughly what it was going to end up looking like so I assembled the propeller unit with blue tak.

Grey acrylic paint was sprayed here and there to make sure everything was filled and sanded properly.

Richard.

BlackOps

Looking good Richard! I obviously need to work on my patience, your results are very nice where I tend to rush things.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

Richard
what an entertaining and instructive little thread this is turning out to be.

Many thanks

Allan in Canberra

ysi_maniac

Quotewhat an entertaining and instructive little thread this is turning out to be.
Yes, the open university of modelling
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

Yowsa Richard that's some truly phenomenal work....especially on the wing guns! It's a treat to see a tutorial like this!

Brian da Basher

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Is it done yet ?

Is it done yet ??

Is it done yet ???

Is it done yet ????

Is it done yet ?????

Is it done yet ??????

Is it done yet ???????

Ian
Drumming impatient fingers  :zzz:  
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Quotewhat an entertaining and instructive little thread this is turning out to be.
Yes, the open university of modelling
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Good isn't he?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Rafael

Gekko, this is getting more and more interesting.
I have to admire your building skills.....at a par with your profiling skills!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Gekko_1

OK guys, a little bit of progress to report.

Here's the canopy parts after being sanded and polished and dipped in Future and masked. I really hate masking canopies and is usually the most tedious part of a model build for me. If you get this part wrong it can really wreck a good model. If you can afford to buy canopy masks I advise you do so. :dum:

To help push down the front end of the windscreen I cut off a piece of sprue then applied the Tamiya tape over that. It worked well. :P

Here's the main canopy glued on too. I used white wood working glue for this job.

Next day I gently pulled off the tape to discover all was well. The parts were aligned and there were no gaps, except for the front part.

Mr Surfacer 500 applied by brush.

Mr Surfacer 500 dry sanded.

As the inside colour of the canopy is to be black, that was the first colour airbrushed.

Once some paint was on the model it quickly showed up some remains of the white glue which I will lightly sand off tomorrow.

Richard.

Allan

Richard,
Just soooo instructive.
As for me, I don't mind canopy masking just as long as I can get my hands on a really sharp knife for trimming away excess tape.
Just a few questons for you, Richard.
How do you wipe away the excess white glue from the canopy-fuselage line? With your finger or a wet tissue? And how long do you wait before doing so?
Great modelling and great thread!
Allan in Canberra