Allan's Me 1101 Work In Progress

Started by Allan, March 18, 2007, 04:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Hi fellows,
Here's the update. She isn't really a tailsitter, but the slightest nudge makes her drop onto her tail and I haven't even attached the rockets and undercarriage doors yet!
So I've cemented some shotgun pellets onto a small piece of plastic card and it's all ready to go somewhere far out of sight inside the wheelwells, but first I have to attach the rockets.
Ah yes, the rockets, what fiddly little rascals they were and I think this part of the kit just might scare off junior modellers. I painted and varnished the rocket fins on the sprue, but when I cut them off and attached them to the actual rockets the process was so damn fiddly that I had to repaint the rockets and that meant some of the paint going onto the fins, so I had to repaint the fins too. So the original paint and varnish on the rocket fins was really a waste.
Moral: attach rocket fins first and then paint.
I painted the fins with the acrylic paint you see here and drybrushed it with the tan. The actual rockets were the Humbrol green-grey pictured. Rocket noses are silver and I drybrushed the fins with a little silver too, but I'm not sure why because you don't really come across rockets that need weathering.
See you in court!
What I have to do next is attach the rockets and then see if I need more shotgun pellets. Then on go the wheelwell doors and she's all finished!!!!!!!!!!
The truth is that I'll be happy to see the end of this model as I've spent a lot of time on it.
Fun, though,

Allan in Canberra

Dork the kit slayer

Well Allan it looks like youve got that one sorted.
The decal camo looks good..great idea. :cheers:  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

BlackOps

Looks like your entering the home stretch!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

Nice, now what is the burgandy-colored cloth shrouded thing to the upper left?
You're not holding the Grail under wraps there, are you???
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Allan

Hi fellows,
The photos are coming thick and fast now.
The burgundy cloth is something I rubberband to a plastic jar to support the model when I decal it or attach small parts.
I matt varnished the rockets this morning using my fav Testors lusterless flat in the small spray can and they are drying now. I've stuck them a few millimeters into a block of styrofoam and this evening will insert the other end to varnish the fins.
Then attach them to the wings and check how it sits on its wheels.
Allan in Canberra

John Howling Mouse

Clever (as always)!!!   ;)

Looking very dynamic: seems to change so much with every angle.

Brian da Basher

Allan this one's a real cracker!!! I love your work on the rockets! I think you're about to enter the Luft Whiff Hall of Fame next to a certain Hangar Guy we all know well.

I can't wait to see more!

Brian da Basher

Allan

Hi fellows,
Here's the garage and the rockets.
I think the model will be finished in a few days now. I'll paint the shotgun pellets red so if they're visible people will think they're oxygen bottles or something.
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Allan

Morning All.
She's  tailsitter, what with the rockets now attached.
Next is to touch up the paint here and there as well as some matt varnish applied with a brush. Then the shotgun pellets and the undercarriage doors. I think I'll forget about antenna.
Allan in Canberra

cthulhu77

Whoa, what a sexy jet that is !  Nice job all around.

Brian da Basher

Wow another amazing build form Allan! Excellent work, mate!

Brian da Basher

Daryl J.

Allan, this looks S'plenda!  May I ask which kit and what scale?

B)
Daryl J., heading outside for some sun

John Howling Mouse

Impressive as is; then quite mind-boggling when you see it in your hand and realize just how small the kit is!   :wub:  :wub:

Notice that your aircraft all seem to have relatively light grey tires----did I read about that somewhere before?

Allan

Hi fellows,
Thank you one and all for your kind comments re this model, which is the Dragon kit in 1/72 scale.
Here's proof that it only needs three shotguns pellets to make it sit on its nose.
Now to paint the pellets grey and try to slide them deftly into the undercarriage bay somewhere unobtrusive.
But my God! those undercarriage doors were quite a tussle cementing into place and turned grey those hairs on my head that they couldn't cause to fall out.
There're a few small spots of superglue near the doors on the fuselage, but once the plane's finished I'll mask off the canopy once more with a long strip of tape and then give it a light dusting of Testor's lusterless flat.
I think I'll try darker tires next time

Allan in Canberra