Antonov An-24, An-26, An-30, An-30

Started by nev, March 21, 2007, 10:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Anyone got these kits?  Anyone built them?

I'm on a bit of an Antonov kick at the minute (always been a favourite of mine), am sorely tempted by the A-Model kits (if I can ever find any that is).  Was wondering about their quality (complaints about the decals hang around the back of my memory...)

Cheers
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

My A Model 144th scale Buffalo isn't a very great kit. Not bad for that scale, I guess, but the parts fit rather poorly. Can't complain as it's all I can find of that subject ! As for the decals, confirmed that they are crap.

Now, I'd be guessing that their 72nd scale offering might be quite nice.

Drop Viper29ca a PM and see if he can get them for you.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Nev

I've not got those particular ones but have quite a few A-Model kits.

Quality - the newer the tooling the better, but yes the transfers can be a bit "off", although the Hawker Fury Yugoslav ones are fine (one of their latest kits)

They obviously have a size restriction with their moulding equipment therefore the parts breakdown on the fuselage for instance can be a bit "strange" - 4 instead of 2 type of thing. Latter kits have a lot of detail. Plastic used tends to have some flash and the sprue gates are thick. But at the end of the day with a bit of work they build upp into nice replica's of aircraft you wouldn't otherwise have.  :)

Hope that helps

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Jennings

The An-26 is the only one of that bunch I own.  It's quite nice, but don't go in expecting a Tamiya kit.  It goes together pretty well, and appears very accurate in outline and detail.  A few irritating things (besides a good bit of flash) such as the fwd fuselage observation bubble.  On the real thing it's a hemispherical bubble window with a clear fairing bolted on behind it (making it look like a horizontal tear drop shape).  A-Model molded it as just a clear tear drop, without the complete bubble underneath.  

But it's very nice, and can be built up into a beautiful model.  I'm EAGERLY awaiting their forthcoming Be-12 Tchaika (yes, I've seen the RVHP kit - sold it on eBay)!!

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

upnorth

The AN-26 is said to be one of Amodel's best creations so far. I did peruse it in the box at my LHS a while back and if I had the room I might have bought it. The decals did look better than Amodel's usual fare too.

You can also dress up the AN-26 a bit as Extratech has created one or two PE detailing sets for it.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

GTX

Is there an An-32 available?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

nev

Yes there is, the 2nd An-30 in the title is meant to be An-32.  That is the one I would like to get the most, to do as an Indian bird  B)

I've just found out that A-Model are doing a 1/144 An-72, so fingers crossed for the whole family.  

Then the whole An-24 family.  

Then the An-12.  

Then the An-22.

:wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

GTX

Nev,

Thanks - I guess I should have guessed that.

Hmm, me thinks I sense a RAAF An-32 coming up (it was offered as a 'Bou replacement after all).

Regards,

Greg

B777LR

Im hoping to find the trumpeter An-2 in the model shop when i go soon :wub:  you gotta love an-2 :wub:  

GTX

Have you seen the luxury An-2 that's flying?  I will try and dig up photos tonight.

Regards,

Greg

B777LR

Another good thing about An-2s:

When attending airshows, many aircraft will be open to visitors. This goes for F-15, EF-2000, Gripen, F-4s etc. and single lonely An-2 from one of the baltic countries, that noone even dares look at. "just a biplane". "From world war one, cant fly fast". Thus i can almost allways get a full tour of the plane from the freindly crew! ;)  

rickshaw

A variant of the An-24, the Xian Y-7

has been revealed as the likely candidate to be the new Chinese AEW for their carriers.

The Xian JZY-01:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Almost a copy of an E-2, what a surprise..............not!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I wonder if some Russian input went into it? IIRC, in late Soviet times, either Yakowlev or Ilyushin had also a Hawkeye-Lookalike aircraft in the pipeline, also as surveillance and transport aircraft. A mock-up was built, looked a bit more robust than this one, but the benchmark was easy to recognize.

Dizzyfugu