An-72s For The Us Army?

Started by nev, March 21, 2007, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

According to the (most trustworthy) Wikipedia, the An-72 is a contender for the Joint Cargo Aircraft, license built by Boeing......

Unlikely to win, but would be cool anyway  B)   The Eastern Express kit in my LHS is calling to me....
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ysi_maniac

QuoteAccording to the (most trustworthy) Wikipedia, the An-72 is a contender for the Joint Cargo Aircraft, license built by Boeing......

Unlikely to win, but would be cool anyway  B)   The Eastern Express kit in my LHS is calling to me....
Go for her... It is love.
Will die without understanding this world.

B777LR

Yup, true. Lockheed, Boeing and Antonov are proposing this for the USAF light weight cargo aricraft competiotion. Airframe will be built in russia (with revised wings control surfaces etc.), transported to the US where US engines and cokcpit will be fitted. Aircraft will also be completely built in the US.

Captain Canada

somebody post a pic of the 72 !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Archibald

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Aircav

QuoteThe Eastern Express kit in my LHS is calling to me....
Hope you like sanding and have plenty of filler Nev  ;)  :unsure:  :(  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

GTX

Old news - but I believe Boeing was only considering offering an Antonov, but eventually decided not to.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

I think it was the An-77 (or whatever that b***h is w/t 16 bladed contraprops) that Antonov and Boeing were halving on. LM has the C-27 Spartan (did half the C-130J but it was too big), and then there's the EADS CN-295 (or was it the 495? Whatever one that the USCG just picked up for Deepwater.)

God I hate it when my thinker's all F up!

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

It certainly wasn't the An-70 - that's bigger than the C-130!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

frank2056

The 1/288 scale Eastern Express AN-72, while tiny, is a very nicely done model. The 1/72 scale version looks great, but it it fairly big.

I made a resin copies of one of the 1/288 kit's engines and modified and duplicated the copy for my 1/350 scaleUSAF cargo plane.

Frank

anthonyp

Yeah, I call bull-s#!+ on this one.  Nowhere on Janes.com, Aviation Week's website, nor Defensenews does JCA/FCA, and AN-72 show up in the same document.  Same with "Boeing" and "AN-72," or any of the other combinations I tried to find out more info.

Add to that the fact that when the RFP went out for the JCA, only the C-130J, C-27J and CN-235 were put forth for the contest, with the C-130J being dropped rather quickly.

Sounds to me like a Flight International flight of fancy to me, perpetuated by airliners.net's forum (which are the only two places on the web besides wikipedia that I found mentions of this perfect for What-if project).

Wait, just read the Flight International article... yep, rumor and speculation.  Boeing isn't even in the JCA competition as a partner to anyone.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Shasper

Most likely either withdrew or got cut early on, reason I sasy that is 'cuz I remember about a year ago or so that Boeing and Antonov were cookin somthin up for the Army.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

anthonyp

More likely not even pursued beyond the feasibility stage.  Like I said, Boeing never even sent a submission in after the RFP was sent out by the Pentagon.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man