Showing You All The Finger...

Started by Supertom, March 30, 2007, 03:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supertom

...no, it's not what you think (except for you.  And you.  And you).  Anyway it's my first attempt at a real scratchbuild/kitbash/conversion.  I pose to you the question:

What if, China, in looking for a VTOL design, had taken the Yak-38 Forger, and through indeginous improvements, have made it into a viable VTOL platform for close air support?

I give you, the Nanchang Q-9 Finger.

Mind you, this is 2-3 weeks of work.

First off, sawed in half, with the plastic card plug...

Then sanded and reshaped, before putty filled in the gaps (mind you I found that I was still filling and sanding a week later)  Cockpit had to be scratchbuilt as there wasn't really one.  Mostly plastic card.  Detail will be decals scanned from the Trumpeter J-8 kit and reprinted on decal sheet.

The nose was chopped off, and a template in place to give it a ducknose profile (thanks for the suggestion Geoff)

Cockpit and noseweight.  A lot of weight, and you'll see why next...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/4401531...506eb640d_o.jpg

Wings.  Using Baz's patented layers of sheet styrene, then laminated with another thin layer (thanks again for that suggestion Geoff), then sanded and puttied to shape.  Added wing bulges on top for more variety (and fuel).  Initially during planning and test fitting I thought the wings were just the right amount of enlargement.  Now, after I bolt them on, I discover they may be a tad bit too big.  Proportionally the wings are supposed to be 30% bigger but I think we're more at 50% here.  Ah well more fuel and loiter time.  Looks a little A-4ish right now...

Milliput, bloody Milliput...

Well kids, that's it for now.  Going to work on it some more.

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

cthulhu77

Boy, would that be a great ASW platform too !  I like the big wings, they really set it off well.

Supertom

Oh, and see those little specks in the background?  Sanding dust from three mediums.

Martin H

so does this mean your comeing over for Telford to join in with the Viff whiff?  LOL

looks good so far Tom  :D  
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Nice work, ST !

Looking forward to more progresso. Love the big wing !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Damian2

WHOA!!!  :o

Thats some serious work there! I like how its coming out as I love the A-4!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Brian da Basher

That's one nice looking Finger! I really like your mods to the nose and the wings, Tom! I can't wait to see your next update.

Brian da Basher

Rafael

Great model, Tom!!
And a show of fearless work!

I specially like the nose reshaping

I love it!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Ah, welcome to the truest form of styrene madness.

Yes, isn't it fun to spend days (or entire weeks) reshaping conversion details----efforts that few people other than the enlightened folks on this website will ever be able to relate to?

Madness, I tell ya!

At any rate, this is looking very intriguing and seems quite plausible, too!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Supertom

Why does this bloody happen!!!!

I thought the stupid milliput had cured, sanded away then this spot here just comes right off!  I was kneading the stupid stuff for 5 minutes and it was a small strip, there's no way I could have missed that!!!

Shasper

OT, but you can use Milliput in a similar fasion as silly putty or play dough (Use it for area-filling)?

BOT, Your "bird" looks great!

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Oooohhh.....

Ian - sitting-up-straight and paying attention !
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mike Wren

good work Tom, that bigger wing makes it look a lot meaner  :wub:  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteWhy does this bloody happen!!!!

I thought the stupid milliput had cured, sanded away then this spot here just comes right off!  I was kneading the stupid stuff for 5 minutes and it was a small strip, there's no way I could have missed that!!!
Maybe give some of the "Aves" epoxy sculpt products a try, instead?  I find Milliput sometimes seems to have a shelf-life and have had similar rejects on my own projects.

http://www.avesstudio.com/

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

Interesting.  Are you planning any engine mods since I understand the Yak-38's VTOL performance wasn't exactly stunning?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!