Turkish Mongoose

Started by Son of Damian, April 03, 2007, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Son of Damian

QuoteAgustaWestland Wins Turk Gunship Contest

Turkey has selected the AgustaWestland's A129 Mangusta International as the winner of its nearly $2.7 billion attack helicopter contest for 50 platforms, and the two sides now will launch contract talks, Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul announced March 30.

"As a result of evaluation of bids from AgustaWestland and [South Africa's] Denel, that earlier had been shortlisted in our Army's attack helicopter project, we have decided to start contract negotiations with AgustaWestland," he told reporters after a meeting of the Defense Industry Executive Committee, Turkey's top decision-making body on defense procurement.

Deliveries of the helicopters are expected between 2011 and 2013, a Turkish defense source said.

The committee's members include Gonul; Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan; Murad Bayar, the undersecretary of defense industries; and Army Gen. Yasar Buyukanit, chief of the General Staff.

Turkey's Tusas Aerospace Industries (TAI), Akinci, will be the local prime contractor and jointly manufacture the platforms with AgustaWestland, Cascina Costa, Italy.

Gonul said that the top criterion in the selection of AgustaWestland over Pretoria-based Denel, maker of the CSH-2 Rooivalk, was a major price difference between the two sides' bids.

He said this new Turkish attack helicopter would be dubbed T-129.

DefenseNews.com

Any good A129 kits out there, and how long before a decal sheet? :)

:cheers:  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

B777LR

Apparently, they chose Mangusta over Rooivalk because the Rooivalk had french engines. Apparently, Eurocopter Tigre was also left out due to french engines... (and AH-64D coz they werent allowed to license produce it)

Archibald

Wups! Seems than Turkey didn't apreciated the fact that French parliament stated  that what happened to the Armenian in 1915-1918 was a genocide...
on the other hand, there's also the fact that many french people don't want  Turkey to enter the European Union  <_<  (I've tasted Turkish bread three days ago. Excellent stuff :lol: ).

good news for the Mangusta  :party:  :cheers: , that's a excellent  attack chopper, hope this will boosts its exports orders (I like the Rooilvak too, but it is build around Puma engines and gearboxes, which makes it big and heavy)

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

upnorth

QuoteAny good A129 kits out there, and how long before a decal sheet? :)
Far as I'm aware the only Mangusta kit out there is Italeri's 1/72 kit and I think Eduard makes some PE goodies for it.

Seems to get good commentary at ARC:

http://www.arcair.com/Gal5/4801-4900/gal48...ers/gal4845.htm

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Damian2

QuoteWups! Seems than Turkey didn't apreciated the fact that French parliament stated  that what happened to the Armenian in 1915-1918 was a genocide...
on the other hand, there's also the fact that many french people don't want  Turkey to enter the European Union  <_<  (I've tasted Turkish bread three days ago. Excellent stuff :lol: ).

good news for the Mangusta  :party:  :cheers: , that's a excellent  attack chopper, hope this will boosts its exports orders (I like the Rooilvak too, but it is build around Puma engines and gearboxes, which makes it big and heavy)
So the short story is that like the Australians they chose the wrong chopper. There is no way that the A-129 is better than the newer Rooivalk...

<_<

The scuttle butt here in SA is that when the UK was choosing a chopper a US deligate told Denel that if the Rooivalk was chosen we could kiss our AMRAAMS good bye. Like I said scuttle butt...
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Shasper

Surprised the King Cobra got cut, they were looking at getting those back in '03-04.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

B777LR

Doesnt china operate a copy of the mangusta? Or is that just battlefield 2?

nev

QuoteWups! Seems than Turkey didn't apreciated the fact that French parliament stated  that what happened to the Armenian in 1915-1918 was a genocide...
There's also the fact that France vetoed the deployment of Patriot SAMs to Turkey to protect against potential Iraqi SCUD strikes....

I guess that rules out Turkey as a potential Rafale customer as well?  :lol:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

anthonyp

QuoteSurprised the King Cobra got cut, they were looking at getting those back in '03-04.

Shas B)
That deal fell through due to the Turks changing license production demands.  Just like a lot of potential Turkish defense deals where they have ever changing requirements and demands after the deals are signed.

They (Bell) resubmit the Zulu Cobra when the new RFP was put out, but it was rejected due to the concrete license production guidelines that Bell came up with as a result of their previous dealings with Turkey.

And Triple-7, you gotta stop playing video games and getting them confused with reality.  China does not operate a version of the Mangusta.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Gervasius

QuoteDoesnt china operate a copy of the mangusta? Or is that just battlefield 2?
China operates (or should operate soon) WZ-10, home-designed and built attack helicopter, looks like a fuzzy bunny child between Mangusta and Tiger.
Baldrick: I followed Mr Da Vinci's instructions to the letter.
Blackadder: Even though you can't actually read.
Baldrick: No, but I have done a lot of Airfix models in my time.

Iranian F-14A

Well personaly,I was gunning for either the Apache or the Ka-50-2.Kinda suprised they went for the Mangusta over the new Tigre,of course,I'm sure the A129 is alot cheaper then the above mentioned choppers too.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter

B777LR

QuoteAnd Triple-7, you gotta stop playing video games and getting them confused with reality.  China does not operate a version of the Mangusta.
*whine mode on* But they look so pretty *whine mode off* :P  

Archibald

QuoteWups! Seems than Turkey didn't apreciated the fact that French parliament stated  that what happened to the Armenian in 1915-1918 was a genocide...
on the other hand, there's also the fact that many french people don't want  Turkey to enter the European Union  <_<  (I've tasted Turkish bread three days ago. Excellent stuff :lol: ).
There's also the fact that France vetoed the deployment of Patriot SAMs to Turkey to protect against potential Iraqi SCUD strikes....

I guess that rules out Turkey as a potential Rafale customer as well?  :lol:
QuoteThere's also the fact that France vetoed the deployment of Patriot SAMs to Turkey to protect against potential Iraqi SCUD strikes....

I guess that rules out Turkey as a potential Rafale customer as well?

When did this happened ? in 2003 ? (how many years before we forget this damned period?)
And having Patriot in Turkey  or not changed nothing because  the Patriot always missed its target (see its results in GW.1)...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

GTX

there's also a Tamiya kit in 1/72.  I'm sure I've also seen a 1/48th version around, but cannot remember where or by whom.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quotethere's also a Tamiya kit in 1/72.  I'm sure I've also seen a 1/48th version around, but cannot remember where or by whom.

Regards,

Greg
Tamiya = Italeri

The majority of Tamiya's 1/72nd scale 'Warbird' series are re-boxed Italeri.

Cheers, Jon