1/72 Raf Tail Code Letters

Started by PanzerWulff, April 03, 2007, 08:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzerWulff

you guys always seem to know where to go for these things ;) I need to find some 1/72 scale tail code lettering for 1/72 WWII fighters Spitfire,Hurricane,Kittyhawk.I need to find someplace that accepts Pay Pal as it is the easiest payment option for me at the moment :D Thanks guys
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

nev

Tail code?  RAF planes didn't carry a tail code during WW2.  They carried 2 fuselage codes though.  One was the serial number, eg MH434, usually small and in black.  The other was the squadron code either side of the roundel, eg B-ZD, usually bigger and in sky.  The 2 letter referred to the squadron, the single letter was the aircrafts designation within the squadron.

Have a search around on Hannants, there's plenty of generic number & letter decal sheets on there.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

PanzerWulff

QuoteThe other was the squadron code either side of the roundel, eg B-ZD, usually bigger and in sky.  The 2 letter referred to the squadron, the single letter was the aircrafts designation within the squadron.

Have a search around on Hannants, there's plenty of generic number & letter decal sheets on there.
Thanks Nev that is what I meant  :dum: (Nice big Brain Fart  :wacko: there) I'll take a look at Hannants Thanks again :D  

Jennings

Your difficulty will be that they were all different.  Those codes were painted on by hand, so there was almost no consistency between (or within) squadrons on the exact style of the lettering.  Sizes also varied a good bit as well.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Brian da Basher

Anything in particularly you're looking fot Panzer? I've got lots of spare RAF markings. I might have what you need. Just drop me a PM if you you're interested.
They would be on the house, of course. ;)

Brian da Basher

PanzerWulff

Thanks Brian PM sent although I may need to order them from somewhere still ;)