Main Menu

Mig-29 Uav

Started by McGreig, April 10, 2007, 05:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

I've been inspired by the UF-16 thread to start on a couple of MiG-29 UAVs. This is a test fitting of the main parts of the long span reconnaissance version. The strike version will have normal MiG-29 wings (well, that's the plan at the moment).

McGreig

Another view. The basic kit is the old Revell 1/72 single seat MiG-29. It's not too accurate but is broadly the right size and shape and is ideal for a whiff, especially as I've got about half a dozen of them that won't otherwise get built.

(Although, of course, it's impossible to have too many MiGs! Particularly -21s, -25s and -29s)  :)  

Eddie M.

I like the direction you're taking. Good looking jet! B)
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

GTX

Looking Damn fine!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Chap

McGreig, beautiful Mig; a very interesting concept. I can't help but to notice the P-40C :wub: (Academy?) in the background, great work on both projects.

~Steve

Spey_Phantom

looks more like the MIG-33 from Ace Combat 3  :wub:  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

McGreig

QuoteI can't help but to notice the P-40C :wub: (Academy?) in the background
The P-40 lurking in the background is the 1/72 Hobby Boss P-40B/C. It is well on its way to becoming an experimental Soviet rocket fighter.

It will have three rocket motors - one in the tail and two under the wings like the La-5VI below, but will not retain the piston engine.

So far, I've removed all traces of the engine and I've added some height to the fin to make up for the loss of rudder where the tail rocket will be located. Not sure when it will be finished, as I have about a dozen projects on the go simultaneously!

wolfik

good shape of the fuselage! congratulations!
the idea is interesting! I made some work on my F-16 UAV some time ago but its something more difficult in shape than the MiG-29 fuselage...
maybe I will start your idea in 1/48 scale....maybe as a marine UAV? B)  

ysi_maniac

I do not like UAVs, but I am in love with those wing tips :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

McGreig

QuoteI do not like UAVs, but I am in love with those wing tips :wub:  :wub:
Yes, I've been reading Mossie's UAV thread too!

I have big reservations about anything that distances people from what actually happens in war or bolsters the illusion that wars can be won by technology-based forces unwilling to risk casualties.

However, regardless of my opinions, UAVs will probably become much more common in the future, and proposals for interim combat UAVs based on existing aircraft provide scope for a lot of interesting models.

And the wingtips are threatening to take this project in a different direction - now that I've seen the effect, I may abandon my plan for a second UAV and build a two seat "big wing" MiG-29 strike fighter instead.

McGreig

Quotemaybe I will start your idea in 1/48 scale....maybe as a marine UAV? B)
Sounds good - it would be interesting to see the idea interpreted by some-one else and the marine version should provide some different colour options.

Rafael

Very interesting whiff!!!
I like the approach. The long wings are a great detail

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Man, looks deadly already!   :unsure:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

McGreig

The MiG makes steady progress - I may be in danger of finishing something. The basic airframe is now complete and most of the major filling and sanding has been done, although more sanding is required, especially on the underside around the air intakes.

McGreig

The underside - told you it needed more sanding. I'm not sure about the size of the drop tanks. These are from a Matchbox F-16 and I may yet replace them with smaller versions. The other fuselage in the photo is intended to be for the strike version, if I can make up my mind what size of wing to put on it.