Boeing Sonic Cruiser

Started by Archibald, April 11, 2007, 03:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

I've started butchering a Mach 2 Caravelle (1/72) into a Sonic Cruiser.

Not sure if it's the right size - to be honest, Caravelle was 140 passengers, S.C was to be 250- but after all, Boeing never disclosed true dimensions of its project AFAIK... and had the concept been successfull, maybe the 737 successor could have fly at mach 0.98, too ?  ;)  

I've started two days ago...

Building this thing is -surprinsingly- not as difficult as I thought.

I don't want to paint it as a passenger aircraft (as it is probably too small compared to the true machine, no the right number of windows... sounds JMN!!! )

so I think about

- cargo (USAF or civilian, Fedex / UPS, but no decals for the latters)
- tanker (using Heller C-135FR boom... if they agree to send me spares ;))
- awacs (easier solution, two plastic plates, JHM's styrene, et voila!!)

First pics... lot, lot of work still to be done (this thing already exhausted my
-meagre- stock of tamyia putty...  <_< )

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

gunfighter

Archibald

Airborne laser ? never thought about that before!!! Not a bad idea, the SC was to fly 15000 ft higher than a stock 747... the highest you fly, the best the laser works  :wacko:  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

Looks difficult and beautiful.
BTW: I DO LIOVE Caravelle. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

frank2056

Looks great, and with those leading edge extensions, it reminds me a bit of the Orion, from 2001.

With that long nose... how about a recon or side scan radar under the fuselage?

Frank

PolluxDeltaSeven

QuoteI've started butchering a Mach 2 Caravelle (1/72) into a Sonic Cruiser.
People were killed for less than that... :ph34r:  (Said the JMN !!)

But as a whiffer, I do appreciate what you're doing!
:wub:  :wub:

What about a Maritime Patrol aircraft? ;)  
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Mossie

Hmmm, I like it!  :D

SIGINT, lots of lumps & bumps to contrast with the sleek lines?

Air Force One???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

More pics!!

I've to add some pics of the underside...

You give me inspiration guys... SIGINT and MARPAT would be cool... still don't know...  

Rafael

Archi, this is whiffing to its highest!!!
A daring project, my hat is off to you!!

The "Canards" and the LERXes are a touch of elegance, and locating the wings in the rear must have been a pain in the ***

All in all, an extraordinary concept

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

The Rat

A lot of people shed tears when the Sonic Cruiser was shelved, I was one of them.  :(

I admire your guts at trying this, and wish you all the best! Keep them updates coming!!!  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

John Howling Mouse

Beautiful!  Beautiful!  If you still wanted to do it as a passenger airline (would be my favorite choice), could you not simply cover the existing cut-out windows that are too large and too few with a long, narrow strip of thin plastic and end up painting the smaller, more numerous windows in place (more or less black/grey ovals with maybe a highlight blotch of off-white?)????
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

anthonyp

Nice one, Archie!  I'd go civvie and do it as an Air Jamaica plane.

What?  Yes, I know I've got Air Jamaica on the brain, what of it?!

Ok, ok, if you HAVE to go military with it, I'd say VIP transport for some nation, or at most a fast cargo plane.  No MARPAT, no ABL, no tanker, no SIGINT... none of that nonsense as it'd just add warts and what not to a very sleek and fast looking aircraft.

The Sonic Cruiser was definitely ahead of its time.  It may yet fly, in another form, sometime in the future (technology is nowhere near what it needs to be to make the thing work as advertised today).

Keep the airframe clean.  Build another and give it acne  :P

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

ysi_maniac

Is there a 3 view of Sonic Cruiser?
Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

Archie this is a true whiff masterpiece in the making! It's a real delight to see you amazing talent and imagination at work! I am anxiously awaiting your next update on this beauty!

Brian da Basher

dragon

Beautiful! :wub:

If you are going CARGO, have you by chance seen the scheme on the Blue Angels' C-130 (Fat Albert)?

NASA trainer would be kind of plainish
VIRGIN ATLANTIC Airliner?
You could of course throw caution to the winds and paint the Super Cruiser in a scheme similar to what one finds on one of those street racers. B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST