Boeing Sonic Cruiser

Started by Archibald, April 11, 2007, 03:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

Archi, what a great shape! I like what you have done so far and look forward to seeing more :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Archibald

QuoteNice one, Archie!  I'd go civvie and do it as an Air Jamaica plane.

What?  Yes, I know I've got Air Jamaica on the brain, what of it?!

Ok, ok, if you HAVE to go military with it, I'd say VIP transport for some nation, or at most a fast cargo plane.  No MARPAT, no ABL, no tanker, no SIGINT... none of that nonsense as it'd just add warts and what not to a very sleek and fast looking aircraft.

The Sonic Cruiser was definitely ahead of its time.  It may yet fly, in another form, sometime in the future (technology is nowhere near what it needs to be to make the thing work as advertised today).

Keep the airframe clean.  Build another and give it acne  :P

:cheers:  :cheers:
I thought about a "fast tanker" able to supercruise at mach 1.2 along F-22s for fast deployment to Japan or Germany.

The aim was not to refuel at supersonic speeds (kamikaze!!) rather slowing for refueling then accelerating again (copyright Ollie for this idea, concorde and
CF-105s)

But grafting a boom on this model is (maybe) too much (and I really know nothing about USAF tankers paint shemes!!)

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

QuoteIs there a 3 view of Sonic Cruiser?
Yes there is, in a 5-years-old french magazine I've scanned  ;)

French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Archibald

I've atempted to "clean" it with Paint to obtain a basis for a profile (I wanted to graft a refueling boom on it) , but it didn't worked  :(  

ysi_maniac

I am thinking on a bigger widebody: Aoshima 1/300 Boeing 777 would be a nice base.
Will die without understanding this world.

frank2056

QuoteI've atempted to "clean" it with Paint to obtain a basis for a profile (I wanted to graft a refueling boom on it) , but it didn't worked  :(
Here's a quick and dirty cleanup:

Sisko

Can't wait to see this turn out. B)  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Daryl J.

:o    More power to you!    This is great.  :wub:

Daryl J.

Archibald

QuoteI've atempted to "clean" it with Paint to obtain a basis for a profile (I wanted to graft a refueling boom on it) , but it didn't worked  :(
Here's a quick and dirty cleanup:

I stand corrected!!!  :lol:  What software did you used ?  

I've spread putty on the "LERX", to gave them volume (they were flat, because I've build them from  a styren sheet).
This cost me a whole tube of Tamyia putty  :wacko:  :blink:  

I've bought strong glue this morning, so undercarriage is now on the way  :wub:  

Thanks for all the cheers comments!

I've elected Mach 2 Caravelle as basis for two reasons.
First reason is,  its one of the rare -in my humble knowledge- 1/72 scale airliners (with Heller Boeing 707/ C-135FR/ AWACS).
I've also noticed that Caravelle cockpit is rather similar to the Sonic Cruiser in the sense that it is "blended" in the fuselage (no nose radome as in modern airliners).

Backstory for this model is located in the Alt-history section

Rafael

Archi, if you're using styrene or cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!) to build airfoils, try this simple approach:
- cut two shapes (upper and lower) of the wing
- Laminate: at the leading edges, glue a narrow strip (or as many as you need) of material all along the wing span, root to wingtip
- sandwich the laminate with the corresponding top/bottom wing shape
- now you have a perfectly square leading edge, from the front, wich you can easily sand to shape.
- If the wing has a cambered/concave profile,  carefully bend it by hand
- Voilá, mon cherí amí, you have a wing without wasting putty!!!

Rafa
Expecting more pics of this amazing build
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Archibald

Lol, mon cher ami
"Cher" is dear, "cheri" is... sweetheart. I fear you're not my kind of woman  :lol:  :lol:  (nothing nasty there!!!)

Thanks for the tip, really, I promise more pics soon...

Archibald

frank2056

I stand corrected!!!  :lol:  What software did you used ? 
Archi,
I used Canvas, went into bitmapped mode and selected the blue background pixels. If you want a dxf (vector) version or cleaner 3 view, let me know.

Frank

Archibald

I stand corrected!!!  :lol:  What software did you used ? 
Archi,
I used Canvas, went into bitmapped mode and selected the blue background pixels. If you want a dxf (vector) version or cleaner 3 view, let me know.

Frank
Thanks but I'll keep on with Paint. I've just understood how this one worked  :rolleyes:  
With my poor knowledge of software I fear your post sounds like sanskrit for me!!