Boeing Sonic Cruiser

Started by Archibald, April 11, 2007, 03:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Quotehiya Archie ... rather hard to find over here but i managed to picked up a Mach2 Caravelle to do as a Swedish ELINT. bird, looks an ok kit with a lil work methinks!

just wondering, as im sure many of us are, could you give us a run down of your materials and techniques used on your models

my usual route for my 'project type' models is to spend weeks (months!) sanding, puttying sanding, puttying, etc. with dozens of spray primer coats between to finally end up with a finish im happy with! then a few coats of finish paint followed by a few laquer coats sealing everything in to a smooth finish

just a thought..have you tried using wood for your models (traditional techniques) as its easily shaped and filled, another poss material would be suitable diameter plastic pipe (again with wooden plugs nose and tail) as a way of making circular section fuselages (saves butchering expensive kits too!) iv used this technique on a number of occasions to satisfactory results

cheers, joe
Quotemy usual route for my 'project type' models is to spend weeks (months!) sanding, puttying sanding, puttying, etc. with dozens of spray primer coats between to finally end up with a finish im happy with! then a few coats of finish paint followed by a few laquer coats sealing everything in to a smooth finish

Have you red Supertom's post (earlier in this thread) ?
He's amazed by the speed I build my models.
Well, it's simply because I more or less skip (or at least, shorten a lot)  the step you describe... I use putty and paint (of course!) but not as carefully as what you describe. Its mainly because of a lack of materials (I mean, finding paint others than Humbrol cans is nearly impossible, and I have to go to Bordeaux, 150 km away  :o  to find putty!!!!!)

That's why I recycle a lot what I have on hand  ;)  
On the other hand JHM helped me very much by sending a box full of tools and styrene. God bless him!!!

Rafael has more or less similar problems (albeit  reasons are quite differents!!) that's why he model from cardboard...  

Concerning Mach 2 kits I would say they are very, very unequal in quality... on the other hand, they propose some very rare aircrafts in 1/72 scale (RB-57, french types neglected by Heller such as the Trident, E-1B Tracer...)

Since JHM send me a dozen of styren sheets I use less cardboard (sorry Rafa!!).

Another material I use is this one... floppy-disk tags are a fantastic material!!!  :wub:

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Rafael

Way to go, Archi!!!

I love to watch your building threads!!!
It takes a LOT of imagination and co**nes to do what you do!!!
I'm sure you would still build something if you were left with only twigs and dry leaves!!!

Rafa
(sits comfortably waiting for more of this build)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

B777LR

Quoteimagination and co**nes to do what you do!!!
Hey rafa, saying coolness isnt a crime :D  :lol:  ;)

:cheers:  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:

Archie, have you ever seen a real carravelle?  :huh:  

Archibald

QuoteWay to go, Archi!!!

I love to watch your building threads!!!
It takes a LOT of imagination and co**nes to do what you do!!!
I'm sure you would still build something if you were left with only twigs and dry leaves!!!

Rafa
(sits comfortably waiting for more of this build)
As would my spanish fellow say (I spend 5 months in Malaga 3 years ago)
"un par de cojones!!"

QuoteHey rafa, saying coolness isnt a crime

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bloody good joke !!!  :lol:  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

QuoteI'm sure you would still build something if you were left with only twigs and dry leaves!!!

hope I'll never left only with twigglets  :rolleyes:  

Archibald

Well the model is near completion. TSR joe you were right, I PSR again yesterday evening (after two coat of paints, I smashed five old tubes of putty and managed to extract enough putty to correct many flaws on the fuselage). A bit of sanding after that...
et voila!
Another coat of paint is planned for today...

Archibald

the quantity of putty one can extract rom old tubes is amazing...  

B777LR

Archibald

I had huge difficulties making the windows... the Caravelle didn't have a good number of windows (something like 16 when the S.C needed at lest 45 !!!) , so I had to "fake" a largest number of them.I spended a whole  afternoon trying various methods, including using Mach 2 windows decals. They disintegrated in water  :angry:
 I ended digging holes in a narrow strip of paper, gluing the paper strip to the side of the fuselage. Then, a bit of PSR (in order to mask the gap between the paper and the fuselage) and grey paint to mark the windows...
As I ranned out of putty (even after smashing the old tubes) I ended using bubble gum to fill the biggest gaps  :lol:  That's really a "poor man's putty " !!!

Archibald

In the end there's 40 "windows " (some of them have been masked, it's no longer an airliner). And the Caravelle flour had five seat front... (3 + 2+aisle in the middle)
This mean that my S.C had more or less 200 passengers, not too far from the truth  B)  

Brian da Basher

Archie I am simply astounded at your amazing skill and creativity! Every new project of yours is another wonderful marvel to behold! Your Sonic Cruiser has a co**nes (interpret that either way) factor that's totally off the scale!

I think she'd look really fetching in an Air France scheme, but whatever livery she wears will look great on this sexy bird!

Brian da Basher

B777LR

Archie, you forgot to add raked wingtips!

Archibald

Joder, that's true!! Waiting for that, here's a whole bunch of pic,the Sonic Cruise has met a guest on my workbench...

:party:  

Rafael

Archi, now I don't know wich one I like the most!!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Seriously, all dressed up she looks still more amazing

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Archibald

Muchas gracias!!

On request of Mr Boeing-san...

voila les raked wingtips!!!  :lol:  

:cheers: