Spey Powered Super Sabre

Started by van883, April 11, 2007, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

van883

Looking through the June 1964 issue of Air Pictorial I found a pic of a model of a Spey powered Super Sabre (very small and not worth reproducing) shown at the 1964 Hanover show. Seems very strange that this was proposed in 1964! Anyone know anything about it?

Van

Jennings

I've heard of it.  Proposed to the RAF (naturally), but I don't think it ever got beyond an idea backed up by a small GA drawing.

Interesting possibilities for whiffing though!

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Geoff

Spooky that I picked up an F-100F in 1/48th at a club meet tonight and was thinking about an MEAF Hun.
Do any of our engineers know if it would need a bigger intake or fatter fuselage?????????? :huh:  

Jennings

You couldn't *possibly* put a bigger intake on the Hun without totally ruining it.  That intake defines the characteristic look of the entire front end of the airplane.  Do as you will, but don't ruin that beautiful nose!

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Geoff

QuoteYou couldn't *possibly* put a bigger intake on the Hun without totally ruining it.  That intake defines the characteristic look of the entire front end of the airplane.  Do as you will, but don't ruin that beautiful nose!

J
Don't worry I think such major surgery is beyond my capabilities anyway, and as you say it's a lovely looking bird as it stands.
Maybe I'll just do a paint job, sand, earth, and night; or fit an AB from an F-102 which I think they were rebuilt with in real life.  :huh:

elmayerle

QuoteYou couldn't *possibly* put a bigger intake on the Hun without totally ruining it.  That intake defines the characteristic look of the entire front end of the airplane.  Do as you will, but don't ruin that beautiful nose!

J
Don't worry I think such major surgery is beyond my capabilities anyway, and as you say it's a lovely looking bird as it stands.
Maybe I'll just do a paint job, sand, earth, and night; or fit an AB from an F-102 which I think they were rebuilt with in real life.  :huh:
I suspect that an inlet that'll handle a J57 will likely handle a Spey, at least as fitted to British Phantoms (the TF41 is based on a later Spey with a larger core and is of greater diameter).  A number of F-100D/Fs did get fitted with the F-102 AB nozzle late in life as F-102s were retired before these F-100s.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Jennings

You picked up a 1/48 F-100F model?  Really?  No such thing exists!  Only a couple of resin conversion kits for the venerable Monogram Hun.

What exactly *did* you buy!? :)

J

NARSES2

QuoteSpooky that I picked up an F-100F in 1/48th at a club meet tonight and was thinking about an MEAF Hun.
Do any of our engineers know if it would need a bigger intake or fatter fuselage?????????? :huh:
Geoff - MEAF sounds fantastic, but go 112 Squadron - Sand/Dk Earth/Azure Blue with a shark mouth  :wub:  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Once did a "history" of 112 Sqn.....after Hawker Furies, they had the Sabre (real) and Hunter (real) but then went to the Super Sabre as indivated above.
The Sqn Ldrs aircraft had a full sharkmouth extending the bulk of the fuselage length apparantly. :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

TsrJoe

sounds really interesting...any chance of posting up a scan of the pic? wondering if there were any obvious differences from std?

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

van883

The pic in the mag is VERY small and low res-I have no scanner so took a photo!

cheers

Van

Geoff

QuoteYou picked up a 1/48 F-100F model?  Really?  No such thing exists!  Only a couple of resin conversion kits for the venerable Monogram Hun.

What exactly *did* you buy!? :)

J
BUGGER IT! I just had another look at the box and it's 1/72!  :angry:
Its the AMT/Ertl kit, I didn't look in the box as it was still sealed in the shrink wrap. Silly me. <_<  

Geoff

Thank you Evan and Van, thats what I needed to know, It will still get done as a MEAF plane but I also picked up some WB-177s in 1/72, so I want to do a 2 seat F-100K interdictor to replace the F-84s; whilst waiting for the F-105K's

I still have a Monogram 1/48th F-100D that I got off Radish recently, so the I still might do that as RAF as well, as the USAFE used the Hun for nuclear strike in Euroland.

Captain Canada

Neat stuff. Maybe we should all build a 100 ? A CF-100 !

;)

Seriously, tho, I love the mighty Hun. That old Monogram 48th scaler was an absolute beauty.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Daryl J.

Geoff,

The F-100F kit is quite decent so no worries there mate.

Now, if Monogram had tooling  for the 100F tucked away like the PhotoPanther......... :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Daryl J.