Possible British Manned Spaceflight In The 60s

Started by MartG, April 12, 2007, 03:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

Just finished reading a book about British rocketry ( A Vertical Empire by C N Hill ). Toward the end of the book there is an interesting possibility raised....

A launcher using a Blue Streak as 1st stage, with 4 Black Knights strapped to it as boosters, a 2nd stage with 4 Stentor motors ( from Blue Steel ), and a 3rd stage with a single Stentor or four Gamma engines, could have put approx 6000lbs into a low Earth orbit. It is noted that this is similar to the weight of a Gemini spacecraft B)  
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

BillSlim

That's an excellent book. It makes me a bit sad reading it though, we withdrew from rocketry just before the satellite boom. The Heath government said that there would be no money in launching satellites, and predicted only a small market.  :dum:
The Black Arrow, and the proposed Black Arrow/Blue Streak combination could have captured a sizable part of the market; at the end Hill does list satellites that could have been launched by Black Arrow.
A manned space programme would have garnered Britain a great deal of prestige, even if it was just something relatively small like the Gemini. Blue Streak was a very reliable missile; when used for the ELDO project not one failed; and would, IMVHO, make an excellent space capsule launch vehicle.

Hill has a website with much of the material from the book, and some extra goodies. It can be found at SpaceUK. It's well worth a look, and replete with 'Whiff' possibilities'.

Sadly Britain, typically for a country that cancelled TSR.2, P1154, the APT etc, is the only country to have developed a satellite launch capability, only to have abandoned it.  :(
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.

Lawman

I would have loved to see the UK investing properly in manned spaceflight, even as a part of a NASA program. The UK could probably have become involved with Gemini, and in particular, might have been able to complement the US program by following on with Big Gemini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Gemini). Since NASA didn't choose to take it up, the UK might have been able to do it jointly with Australia and Canada. A Big Gemini would have made an excellent project, and would have made an excellent complement to the American's later Apollo flights (e.g. Apollo-Soyuz, Skylab etc...), and the shuttle. In particular, it might have been good for NASA to have a Commonwealth-owned shuttle alternative, or even stick with Big Gemini instead of the shuttle entirely!

Any UK manned spaceflight program would have been good news, it is such a pity that the government decided to not even have a small program. If the Commonwealth countries had gone ahead with Big Gemini, perhaps using an indiginous launcher, then we might have seen the ISS fifteen years earlier. The US launches a series of Skylab sized modules, and shuttles for building the station, and the Big Gemini is then used as a crew return vehicle and for crew exchanges. No need to buy Russian Soyuz flights, you simply buy Gemini launches - a proven launcher, especially if it has been running in one form or other since the '60s, it would have hundreds of launches under its belt by now!  

TsrJoe

http://www.baxterium.org.uk/

have a looksee at 'sample fiction' then have a read of 'Prospero One'  B)

many years ago i came across an illustration of a 'Blue Streak' launcher with a 'Mercury' capsule atop a second stage, i recall pasting it on a page of an early issue of the R&D. SIG. newsletter...def a 'should have been'!

cheers, Joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

GTX

Of course if Britain goes into space back then, Australia would have to be involved given they trialed a lot of these rockets in Woomera.  Many years ago, I saw the Black Arrow etc still at Woomera.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

BillSlim

Joe, thanks for posting that link, it was an excellent if bitter-sweet story.

According to the Space UK site Woomera would not be suitable for all sorts of launches and Darwin was looked at as an alternative.
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.

GTX

QuoteAccording to the Space UK site Woomera would not be suitable for all sorts of launches and Darwin was looked at as an alternative.

I agree.  Woomera was/is a horrible site for space launches.  It was only ever useful as a weapons range - hence why it was used in the first place.  A much better choice would be Cape York, Darwin (though away from populated areas) or even Cocos Island (now there's a nice place!).

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

wagnersm

I think Arthur C Clarke did several Science Fiction stores about UK/Commonweath space program.  I think Austrialia was used as the lauching point.

Steve

Bryan H.

If the UK or Commonwealth had an independent manned spaceflight capability, it is entirely possible that the Skylab could have been saved with their help.  

Early Shuttle flight were to have boosted the Skylab's orbit.  However, due a bad combination of Shuttle program delays & solar heating expanding the atmosphere, the Skylab 'de-orbited' in the late 70's.  NASA had hoped to keep it through the 80's.  Keeping the Skylab would have possibly short-circuited the 'need' for the ISS.  NASA could have redirected the $$$ (that has been frittered away on the ISS) to more exciting & scientifically productive programs like...  More & more capable unmanned missions to Mars & the outer planets or resuming manned missions to the Moon as a precursor to a permenently manned lunar station and missions to Mars.  It's possible we'd be at least 10 years ahead of where we are now.

:cheers: Bryan  

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

elmayerle

Speaking of frittering away $$$ on the ISS, Congress was quite certainly complicit in ordering some three major redesigns.  The final version being built is one I'd've been tempted to jump to after the first mandated redesign.  "You want reduced costs?  Then let's start with a core of one Mir, or equivalent, delivered to low Earth orbit."  As 'tis, based on data from the Astrnautix site, I'd much rather have the Russian-made FGB module as part of the ISS than as what it was originally built for, the Control hub of an orbital battle station.

Mind you, I'm of the opinion that NASA ought to turn all the ops functions over to non-governmental entities (corporations or whatever) and get back to an expanded version of NACA's charter; the dreamers have moved on and the buros (bureaucrats) have moved in, with all the delay, empire-building, etc. that brings.  I've talked with some of my contemporaries in the industry who've worked with NASA and we're in agreement that they are far more pain to deal with than any part of DOD or the FAA.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Zen

It was during the Mcmilland government that the Armstrong Whitworth re-entry capsule was abandoned. Apparently it was to be a waverider, which would've been another first for the UK had it flown.
To win without fighting, that is the mastry of war.

Archibald

QuoteIf the UK or Commonwealth had an independent manned spaceflight capability, it is entirely possible that the Skylab could have been saved with their help.  

Early Shuttle flight were to have boosted the Skylab's orbit.  However, due a bad combination of Shuttle program delays & solar heating expanding the atmosphere, the Skylab 'de-orbited' in the late 70's.  NASA had hoped to keep it through the 80's.  Keeping the Skylab would have possibly short-circuited the 'need' for the ISS.  NASA could have redirected the $$$ (that has been frittered away on the ISS) to more exciting & scientifically productive programs like...  More & more capable unmanned missions to Mars & the outer planets or resuming manned missions to the Moon as a precursor to a permenently manned lunar station and missions to Mars.  It's possible we'd be at least 10 years ahead of where we are now.

:cheers: Bryan
Wrote some pages on the subjects two years ago... I imagined that the two Skylab (there was a second space station, which was never laucnhed) were docked together, an european module and a saliout  station. This was a kind of early 80's ISS  ;)  

I have to found this story, and translate it in english  :rolleyes:  (sacrilège, mon dieu!!)
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.