Il-10 On Steroids

Started by McGreig, April 19, 2007, 09:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

The recent house move uncovered an old Eastern European moulding (lots of flash, kit packed in instruction-free plastic bag) of Frog's Wyvern. Was just about to bin it when I came across Wyrmshadow's "Il-10 Beast on steroids" in his Rodina Air Fleet thread and an idea was born. Take one KP Il-10, add sundry Wyvern parts  and then stir thoroughly - - -

I've taped some parts together to get a rough idea of what it might look like. If I go ahead, the fin and rudder will be reshaped to a more Ilyushin-style profile, I'll probably use the Wyvern tailplanes, I might use a longer Il-2 canopy and, of course, the wings will be properly integrated into the fuselage.

What do you think - is it plausible/worth doing?

B777LR

Captain Canada

Quoteis it plausible/worth doing?
What kind of question is that ? I think you need to ask yourself if you're going to enjoy building it.....as I know most of us will !

:cheers:

I think it's an awesome idea. The wing looks too small, tho...but that might change once you blend it into the fuselage. An early Russian Navy gets alot of us worked up here !

:party:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

John Howling Mouse

Yes, this will be cool.  Agree that some nice, imposingly large wings would work best.  Maybe swap some from an old Dauntless kit (were there any Shturmovik kits done in 1:72?).
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

As someone who has fond memories of the Frog Wyvern, I SAY DO IT! WHIFF THAT SUCKER!!!  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

McGreig

Problems, Problems!  This is not going to be as easy as I first thought.  :angry:

I wanted to use the Il-10 wings partly because the idea was to create an Il-10 development, partly because the wing profile is relatively thin, which seemed appropriate for a turboprop, and partly because they have squared off tips which help make it look less Wyvern-like.

But I agree that the wing looks too small. I was going to use part of  the Wyvern centre section and mate the Il-10 wings to this to increase the span but test fitting is not encouraging.

However, I've looked at Ilyushin's subsequent Il-8, and Il-20 Shturmoviks and at his Il-40 jet Shturmovik and it may be that the thick Il-2 wing wouldn't be so bad.

So the current plan is to add squared off tips to the wings from a Zvesda late-model Il-2 and use these instead of the Il-10 wings.

I plan to work on this (and the MiG UAV) over the weekend, so expect a progress photo soon.

Archibald

QuoteProblems, Problems!  This is not going to be as easy as I first thought.  :angry:

I wanted to use the Il-10 wings partly because the idea was to create an Il-10 development, partly because the wing profile is relatively thin, which seemed appropriate for a turboprop, and partly because they have squared off tips which help make it look less Wyvern-like.

But I agree that the wing looks too small. I was going to use part of  the Wyvern centre section and mate the Il-10 wings to this to increase the span but test fitting is not encouraging.

However, I've looked at Ilyushin's subsequent Il-8, and Il-20 Shturmoviks and at his Il-40 jet Shturmovik and it may be that the thick Il-2 wing wouldn't be so bad.

So the current plan is to add squared off tips to the wings from a Zvesda late-model Il-2 and use these instead of the Il-10 wings.

I plan to work on this (and the MiG UAV) over the weekend, so expect a progress photo soon.
Don't discourage!! You have something very, very cool between your hands... don't give up! This russian, "angled" Wyvern promise much  :cheers:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Dork the kit slayer

Its got all the makings for  a brute of a machine.........fires my imagination...go for it.   :cheers:  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

John Howling Mouse

QuoteDon't discourage!! You have something very, very cool between your hands... don't give up! This russian, "angled" Wyvern promise much  :cheers:
Yes, yes, to Archibald you listen!

Styrene Yoda

BlackOps

I agree, if you think you will follow through to the end I say go for it! Sounds like a great idea.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

McGreig

Well, the first substantial work has been done and it's beginning to look like a viable project after all. Thanks for the encouragement.

As you can see, it's back to Plan A - use the Il-10 wings and cockpit.

I've assembled the Wyvern's fuselage, incorporating the upper fuselage and cockpit area of the Il-10, and squared off the fin and rudder.  

McGreig

By incorporating the Wyvern centre section and splitting the one piece Il-10 wing at its mid-point, rather than taking each wing from its wing root, I think that I've overcome the wing size issue. The current wing has less chord than the Wyvern but the span is greater.

Still a lot of trimming, filling and sanding to be done round the wing roots and, although I'm generally happy with the fuselage shape, there's still a lot of work needed there too.

McGreig

I think that I may have marginally under-estimated the work involved in this project! There's a lot more filling and sanding then I'd anticipated when I started and I made no progress on the MiG UAV and the P-40 rocket fighter projects that I'd originally intended to work on over the weekend. (Although, to be fair, this may be due more to the time taken up by Under-9 Sunday League football as my son pursues his ambition to be the next Jens Lehmann - - - )

John Howling Mouse

McGreig wrote:
"By incorporating the Wyvern centre section and splitting the one piece Il-10 wing at its mid-point, rather than taking each wing from its wing root, I think that I've overcome the wing size issue."

JHM: Agreed!!  Looks freakin' GREAT!

McGreig wrote:
"I think that I may have marginally under-estimated the work involved in this project!"

JHM: Agreed!  But it will be worth finishing----------I can feel it!