Il-10 On Steroids

Started by McGreig, April 19, 2007, 09:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

McGreig this looks soooo very Russian it's scary! I've just got to admire the imagination at work here. Three cheers for such an awesome concept and another one for excellent execution!

Brian da Basher

P.S. I can just see this beast in North Korean markings for some reason...

McGreig

Slow but steady - the fuselage has now been tidied up, the wings have been trimmed and blended and the tailplanes added, stolen from an Airfix Skyraider. (The Skyraider parts are the only cleanly moulded parts in the entire project! I seem to have spent as much time removing flash and dealing with poor fit as I have on the actual whiffing.)

Once I've filled and sanded the tailplane roots, it should be ready for a first coat of primer and then some work on the cockpit.

McGreig

I can just see this beast in North Korean markings for some reason...
I agree - they used the Il-10 and their star in a circle would add some colour.

However, as this is inspired by Wyrmshadow's Rodina Air Fleet thread, I think that I'll probably build a Soviet Navy machine, although not necessarily carrier-based. Colours will probably be dark grey or green as I don't think that the more attractive light grey or two tone grey or blue camouflage would fit the time period.

GTX

Is it going to hace a rear gunner?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

McGreig

QuoteIs it going to have a rear gunner?

Yes.

I thought about adding Me-410 style barbettes but I've decided to go with the original Il-10 cockpit and crew arrangement, with a traditional rear gunner. This is one reason that I've incorporated the Il-10 upper fuselage into the model as this will make the fitting of the Il-10 canopy easier (I hope).

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Mike Wren

that's looking great so far  :wub:  

ysi_maniac

I do like your concept :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

And all those models in background...?
B)  
Will die without understanding this world.

McGreig

And all those models in background...?
B)
Organising for last November's house move and joining this forum has revitalised my modelling and brought a number of partly finished projects back on to my work bench.

In these photos you can see a Hasegawa A6M2-N, to be finished in Communist Chinese markings, a Czech Omega resin of a Russian radial engined Hurricane project and a JV Jetkit resin of the MiG Ye-8.  

The Ye-8 wasn't meant to be a whiff but as I've now got the much better Czech Omega kit, I'm thinking of finishing this one as a projected production version.

Not sure of the timescale on these, though, given that I'm currently working on the Il-10/Wyvern, the MiG-29 UAV and the MiG Reconnaissance System rebuild - - -

And then there are the various P-40s not in the photos - - -  

elmayerle

Where can one purchase these Ye-8 kits?  Other than one in 1/48, all the kits I've seen of that have been 1/72 scale vacforms.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

McGreig

QuoteWhere can one purchase these Ye-8 kits?  Other than one in 1/48, all the kits I've seen of that have been 1/72 scale vacforms.
I think that you should be able to get the Omega resin kit directly from the manufacturer. I checked their website - www.omega-models.com - and the kit is listed at 38.10 Euros.

I got both my JV Jet Kits and Omega Ye-8s  from Hannants but I think that the JV kit is no longer available and the Omega kit is currently listed as "sold out". However, even if they get it back, the Hannants price is £45.99 which seems slightly excessive compared to Omega's price in Euros.

McGreig

If you've been having difficulty recently getting hold of Squadron White Putty it's probably because I've used the entire global supply on the underside of the Turbo Il-10.

McGreig

It's now had the first coat of primer and it's looking much more like an Il-10 development and much less like a Wyvern than I had expected when I began the project. You can't see from the photographs but the priming has shown up several flaws, so it's back to the white putty and sandpaper before we go any further!  :(

I'm also reconsidering the paint scheme - I think that a disruptive pattern would probably look better than plain blue/grey or green. At the end of the War the light grey/dark grey scheme used on fighters was beginning to be applied to other types such as the Il-10 but I suspect that this would have been replaced by a single upper surface colour by the early Fifties, which is the likely time period for this aircraft. Although it is a whiff - - - .

Alternatively, some of the Soviet Navy's Tu-14 bombers were finished in a three tone sand, grey and green scheme. Although the logic of this colouring for an anti-shipping bomber escapes me, it could look interesting. Maybe I need to do a poll.  :huh:  

Chap

Beautiful work McGreig! :wub: I really like how this one is turning out, definitely has a Soviet look to it. Keep up the fantastic work.

~Steve

Daryl J.

This is good!  
    :wub:

Daryl J.