The Daring Conversion Attempt

Started by Spey_Phantom, April 30, 2007, 10:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

the idea came to me when i was visiting a hoobyshop in brugges earlier today.
with some of the people saying that the J-10 is similar to the typhoon, i decided to see for myself.
i bought an adittional eurofighter kit to specially convert into an J-10A.
its good to do some "Plastic Surgery" for once  :lol:

work done so far:

-cutting up the typhoons standard wing into the j-10 shaped wing (smaller and cornered)
-scratchbuilding of the new tailfin
-scratchbuilding the ventral fins
-taking a spare MIG-29 outlet
-taking 2 MIG-29 tailplanes for canards (the typhoons ones were to small)

still to do:

-scratchbuild intake
-constructionwork
-painting
-modify canopy
-finding or scratchbuild chinese or russian weapons
-find or build F-16 style landing gear

the kit itself makes a crappy typhoon, but it make hell of a J-10 conversion kit  B)
here a pic of how the kit looks now before i posted  :)  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Mossie

I like this idea Nils, good luck!  It'll get the JMN's scratching their heads, maybe the next step is to turn a J-10 kit into a Lavi!!! :lol:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Spey_Phantom

update:

i decided to do a one-nighter for this one, but there will be no landing gear added since i got nothing usefull in my sparesbox. i pasted most parts together now and applied a layer of primer.

one things for sure, paint the nose black and she looks like a J-10 already.
i will post pics later if its ready. although the canards look a little to big, she really is a stunner up to now  B)
as for decals, im thinking a chinese one (real world alike)  <_<  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Shasper

Quotemaybe the next step is to turn a J-10 kit into a Lavi!!! :lol:
That'll be a giant leap.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Mossie

Or a smaller one.....

Just going on all this speculation that surrounds the J-10 Shas, some have said it's based heavilly on the Typhoon, some say the Lavi (someone posted about this recentley, can't remember who off the top of my head).  Yes, there are similarities & there might even have been some inspiration or even a little espionage at work but it's more a case of design convergance than copycatting if you ask me.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Spey_Phantom

Time flies when your having fun, the kit was so easy to build, ive bearly begun and its already finished.
the result was remarkable, it really is looking like a J-10 to me  :wub:
im just gonna do some modifications tommorow, im to tired to do them right now  :zzz:
what do you think of the result :ph34r:

(ps, i posted this before Mossie's reply, but i made a mistake by pressing delete instead of edit  :dum: , lucky i managed to re-post this message)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

ysi_maniac

Hi Nils,
This is a really good job :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Hi Mossie,
What I read is that IAI just plainly sold key info from Lavi project, along with Python missile and I do not know more ... Of course, Chineses had to deal with additional problems, like engines and that is why it is bigger.
Will die without understanding this world.

Shasper

That may be Ysi & others, but if you check the specs, the J-10 is a hell of alot larger than the Lavi was ever intended to be (the original purpose of the Lavi was to be a 2-place advance LIFT to replace the Skyhawk, the single seater was also to replace the scooter and I think the Kfir as well). Heck, the engine dia. tell you alone how much bigger the sino is (AL-31 is roughly in the same class as the F100/F110, while the PW1120 was originally meant for an alt. to the J79, same class as the F404).

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

famvburg

That'll be a giant leap.

Shas B)

Your best bet is to use an F-16 as a basis for a Lavi.  

famvburg

That'll be a giant leap.

Shas B)

Here's my 1/72 J-10 made from a Typhoon. As I was literally putting on the decals a couple of years ago, Squadron received Trumpeter's kit........

famvburg

That'll be a giant leap.

Shas B)

My 1/72 Lavi made from an F-16. I had started it about the same time as my J-10 & as I was finishing the paint, you guessed it, Anigrand's kit was released.

famvburg

That'll be a giant leap.

Shas B)

Lastly, the pair. The 2 a/c are no more copies of each other than the MiG-15 & F-86. If they were, wouldn't I have used an F-16 for the J-10 & the Typhoon for the Lavi just as easily?

Mossie

QuoteThat may be Ysi & others, but if you check the specs, the J-10 is a hell of alot larger than the Lavi was ever intended to be (the original purpose of the Lavi was to be a 2-place advance LIFT to replace the Skyhawk, the single seater was also to replace the scooter and I think the Kfir as well). Heck, the engine dia. tell you alone how much bigger the sino is (AL-31 is roughly in the same class as the F100/F110, while the PW1120 was originally meant for an alt. to the J79, same class as the F404).

Shas B)
QuoteYour best bet is to use an F-16 as a basis for a Lavi.

Blimey guys, it was meant as a joke for the reason you've both mentioned, hence the :lol:!

Nils, nice job on the J-10, & your J-10 & Lavi look good too Famvburg!

famvburg

QuoteThat may be Ysi & others, but if you check the specs, the J-10 is a hell of alot larger than the Lavi was ever intended to be (the original purpose of the Lavi was to be a 2-place advance LIFT to replace the Skyhawk, the single seater was also to replace the scooter and I think the Kfir as well). Heck, the engine dia. tell you alone how much bigger the sino is (AL-31 is roughly in the same class as the F100/F110, while the PW1120 was originally meant for an alt. to the J79, same class as the F404).

Shas B)
QuoteYour best bet is to use an F-16 as a basis for a Lavi.

Blimey guys, it was meant as a joke for the reason you've both mentioned, hence the :lol:!

Nils, nice job on the J-10, & your J-10 & Lavi look good too Famvburg!

Thanks. My comment was just a suggestion. There was an article in a British model mag some time ago that showed the F-16 - Lavi conversion. It's posted 'somewhere' on the 'net, IIRC.

elmayerle

Actually, the original Lavi proposal had a F404 and not a PW1120.  That was the basis of some studies between IAI and Northrop about using portions of the F-5G/F-20 (depending on when the study was written) to reduce costs of the Lavi.  Ultimately, IAI decided to do it all themselves.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin