Little Known Tank Buster

Started by van883, May 02, 2007, 09:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

van883

In 1943 there were moves afoot in the RAF to rush into production a successor to the Hurricane IID. This new aircraft had a far superior performance for those low level sweeps across northern France....
Due to production difficulties with the teardrop canopy, this aircraft retained a version of the unloved car door canopy.
This was an enjoyable distraction from the still unfinished Hawker P1121!

I can't decide, is it a Typhoon IID or a Tempest ID
Van

Dork the kit slayer

I can't decide, is it a Typhoon IID or a Tempest ID
Van
either way...looks "right" to me. :cheers:  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Captain Canada

Oh yeah, nice one, Van ! Sure does look right !

:wub:

I'd say Tempest, with that wing.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Very nice Van!  Production version of the Hawker Tornado?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

van883

Actually its a Heller Tempest V with a Ventura Tempest 1 conversion which contains a new fuselage, canopy and wing mounted radiators> Looks very fidfferent without the "beard" radiator under the nose. To this I added some Airfix Hurricane Cannon.
Thanks for the comments!

Van

The Rat

SUHWEEEEEEET!  :wub:

Um, can't quite tell from the photo, but does it have the rear fuselage strengtheners that were added later? I can see the low-level stresses doing a number on it otherwise.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

Woah gorgeous, van!!! :wub:

Now why didn't I think of that?!

Brian da Basher

The Rat

QuoteActually its a Heller Tempest V with a Ventura Tempest 1 conversion which contains a new fuselage, canopy and wing mounted radiators
Okay, forget my earlier post then, I must have still been 2-finger bashing while you were posting and I didn't see it until now. Still love it!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

ysi_maniac

Top notch, really!
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Archibald

I thought it was a spitfire fuselage with Tempest wings and canopy  :wacko:  :blink:  
Lovely model  :wub:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

cthulhu77

Very cool...love the airborne tank killers! :wub:  

GTX

Yes, very nice - it's interesting just how odd the Tempest 1 variant looked:

Another different Tempest variant was the Tempest 3 (Rolls-Royce Griffon V-12 engineed):

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

van883

Nice pics-
I wonder how well the Griffon version performed?

Van

GTX

QuoteThe Tempest Mk III and IV, both earmarked for installation of Rolls-Royce Griffon engines, diverged significantly from the Sabre engined Tempest program. Only the Mk III prototype (LA610) was actually converted (Mk IV prototype LA614 was cancelled in Feb 1943). The aircraft was testflown during September 1944 as a "lightweight" Tempest powered by a Griffon 85 engine. Later it was re-engined with the final version of the Sabre, the Mk VIII, which developed over 3000hp, and in this form it achieved 483mph making it the fastest of the Hawker piston-engined fighters.
The Tempest Mk III was the last of the Tempest line and led to the RAF Fury and Royal Navy Sea Fury.

source

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Glenn Gilbertson

A handsome beast, Van - well modelled. I always liked the lines of the Tempest I.
:cheers: