Raaf And Ran Birds

Started by anthonyp, May 02, 2007, 06:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

First up in this thread is an RAAF B-47L.  It's a slightly modified Academy 1/144 B-47 model.  I frakked up the outriggers, so it always looks like it's lifting off.

RAAF B-47L

In the early 60's, the RAAF was in need of a way to deliver their nuclear weapons long range.  The USAF was divesting itself of B-47's, which were sold abroad to trusted allies at cutrate prices.  The RAAF picked up 72 of the intermediate range bombers and stationed them along the Northern coast, as well as deploying them to friendly bases around the Pacific Rim.  These were modified over the years using technology similar to the USAF's B-52's, increasing the bombers' survivability and effectiveness.

But not everything lasts for ever.  These bombers began to stand down from nuclear alert beginning in the early 80's, with their nuclear mission being overtaken by F-111's, and some ex-USAF B-52's, though the airframes still had a good many years left in them.  A refit program was undertaken, converting the bombers from the nuclear role to sea control.  Forty-eight of the bombers were refit to fire and control six AGM-84 Harpoons hung from underwing pylons.  Mines and other conventional weapons could be carried in the internal bay, though it was usually filled with an auxiliary fuel tank to extend range.  Squadrons of these modified bombers would have proven useful should the Indian or Pacific Oceans explode into the expected all out war should the Cold War go hot.

This particular example is shown without the undernose fairings most of the fleet has.

The fleet is expected to continue flying until an acceptable number of P-8 maritime patrol aircraft can be brought online.

For more pics, click here.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

This model is a 1/72 Frog Sea Vixen that I happened upon on a bargain table sometime last year.  Very nice old kit, but I had no idea what to do with it when I completed it.  But I had just built the above B-47 and the RAN Wyvern, so this was a natural.

RAN Sea Vixen

The RAN found itself in need of an effective interceptor for it's carrier force in the early 60's, but anything the Americans had was simply too big (F-4), too expensive (F-4K this time), or didn't fit their needs (F-8).  The RAN did buy some F-11's, but promptly found the little fighter lacking for fleet defense.  While effective at what they were supposed to do, they simply didn't have the range to reach out and defend the fleet.

The UK, on the other hand, had a fighter that seemed tailor made for the RAN's needs.  The Sea Vixen was offered to the RAN and eagerly purchased.  Six squadrons were bought in all, though only four of them ever put to sea, due to shifts in RAN strategy and purchasing habits.

This example of the venerable Sea Vixen flew off the HMAS Australia, Oz's Malta class carrier after it had been refit with an angled deck.

anthonyp

The following is a Trumpeter 1/72 Wyvern kit.  As is typical of modern Trumpeter kits, this was easy to build, though there's a lot of parts.  I gave up on the armament after looking at the rockets and thinking "You've got to be kidding me."  Too many parts for simple little rockets!  The decals seemed to have yellowed since they were applied, but they were ancient decals to begin with, so no surprise there.  I still think it looks sharp.  The fuselage stripe is from a USN A-4 sheet.  Wasn't really feeling this one after I painted it, I dunno.

RAN Wyvern

In addition to the Sea Vixens, the RAN purchased the Wyvern as a counterpart strike aircraft.  Though of the six squadrons purchased, only four were delivered, as the US offered A-4's, which were much less problematic than the Wyvern.

This particular plane was a companion to the above Sea Vixen aboard the HMAS Australia.

anthonyp

This last plane is my pride and joy for the RAAF.  This is a Hasegawa 1/72 F-15C.  Eagles are just fun to build, and I think more countries need them!  Australia was an obvious recipient.  I took the decals from some F/A-18 kit (the early Italeri one, I think... the decals fell apart often, so I'm pretty sure it was old Italeri), and the paint scheme was one of those "Let's see how these shades look together" things.  I mean, I didn't want to do yet another light/dark ghost grey schemes (though cool they are) and just slap someone else's roundels on it, so I took a page from the RAAF's own playbook and invented an experimental scheme for use over the South Pacific (ala the RAAF's dark grey F/A-18 scheme from a few years ago).

RAAF F-15C Eagle

The RAAF was looking for a new fighter in the early 80's, though they were looking initially for a dual role aircraft.  This changed when the US offered F-15C's with immediate delivery in 1984.  The initial requirement was changed from a single dual role model winning to two planes:  An interceptor and a strike aircraft, capable of taking on interception duties.  In the end, Oz bought 54 of the heavy fighter (36 F-15C's, 18 F-15D's), deploying them around the continent as well as allied bases around the Pacific Rim.

This particular example is shown in experimental camouflage for use over the waters of the South Pacific.  Several schemes were tried over the compass ghost and mod Eagle schemes the Eagles were delivered in, though this had the best chance of actually entering service.

It is expected that the Eagles will continue in service until sometime after 2025, long after they are to be supplemented with F-22's.

DropBear

Sounds intriguing.

I especially like your B-47 model/scenario.

:cheers:  

ysi_maniac

I like your completely alter Australia
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

Anthony, it's great to see more of your work! I especially like that B-47 in Aussie markings! The backstory is great too! I'm glad to see Detroit's One Man Whiff Factory back in business!

Brian da Basher

anthonyp

Oh, always have been, just hate taking pictures (and the editing and renaming that is associated with the pics).

More about to be posted...

Rafael

I love that Sea Vixen.

.....and the others!!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER