Revell Dornier 335 In Progress

Started by Allan, May 04, 2007, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxioux

The red, white and blue scheme is great! :thumbsup:  I can sympathize with the airbrush troubles.  Sometimes those things just kick your a**.

Brian da Basher

That scheme's a real winner, Allan! I just love the subtle tones in the blue and how the red on the tail and the yellow ID markings on the leading edge set it all off! I have a feeling you're in the process of building something that will really make them sit up and take notice!

Not to worry about it appearing "toy-like" as a little weathering will take care of that.

Two thumbs up!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks for your support and encouragment.
Brian--I'll have to get your tips on appropriate weathering pretty soon to make this bird look reasonable.
I've used Xtracrylix RLM 74 for the gun barrels and later on will draw over them with a pencil--I imagine any sort of dark grey would be okay. Revell gloss dark blue, WEM RLM 76 and Humbrol number something or other for the fuselage.
While holding the model last night to do some touchup work I accidentally smeared some paint onto one of the yellow leading edges (port)--see photo--so will have to touch that up tonight. So I'm going backwards a little which really frustrates me at times. I'll use a brush for the yellow touchup--just can't run the risk of spraypaint overspray. I'll also remove the tape from the barrels tonight--it's there to make a sharp dividing line between the barrels and the rest of the gun.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

Hi fellows,
It's a little hard to see but a smudge of yellow has majically appeared near the hole for the upper wing radar.
Now I have to decide how to get rid of it-brush-sponge or airbrush white.

Here's how the lower surfaces look. I've applied a coat of Humbrol matt varnish on the Lifecolor acrylic on the cannon barrels and next will use a pencil followed by some more varnish. The white bands look impressive in the photo but in real life they don't bear looking at closely. Not really good airbrushing at all.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

Hi fellows,
No, you're not seeing things. This is the first time I have posted in ages, but I'm well and still proud to be a Whiffer.
Here's my 335 as she is now, with the paint changed a little because I had such airbrushing woes and the original white bands refused to dry properly and then cracked. Much frustration ensured, but after a curry tomorrow evening with my wife I'll pluck up the courage and remove the masking tape, fully bracing myself for some touch-up work to be done. The tail's still red, but the undersurface color has been changed to RLM 76. I still intend to give it Japanese rising suns, however. Some of the gun barrels were snapped off in the airbrushing melee, so I may replace them with pencil from a mechanical pencil.
Again, apologies for the delay in getting back to you, my Whiffing brothers, but this plane gave me a lot of grief. But now, armed with his new Iwata, doughty Allan intends to soldier on to complete this project.
Allan in Canberra

cthulhu77

It's tough to use another airbrush after getting an Iwata !  Looking good Allan !!

Brian da Basher

It's great to see you posting again Allan and I'm glad to see you working on the 335 again and back home from your travels.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

BlackOps

Nice to see this one back on the bench Allan!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

Thanks fellows,
Photos tomorrow as the touch-up paint is now slowly drying. More touch-up work will be required, sometimes with a small brush and sometimes with the airbrush producing a very fine spray. I'll keep you posted.
Later on I may need some help on how to weather the plane to prevent it looking too toy-like.
Allan in Canberra

cthulhu77

I'm not sure if you have read some of the stuff at Swanny's, but it is worth perusing:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Weathering.html

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Benjo

Wow dude! never expected the scheme!!!!!!
Being creative can be a gift - And a curse...

Allan

Hi fellows,
Here are some photos of the Dornier sans tape and slightly, but not completely, touched up. Still a little more to go and then the decals go on, at which point I think it will really be in the home stretch. At that point I'll need some tips on how to weather the thing. But that's a little time off.
Allan in Canberra

ChernayaAkula

This latest set of pics doesn't work. :(   "This Image <...> has been moved or deleted"

Looks cool so far, though. I'm excited to see what it looks like when all the tape comes off!  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Allan

Hi fellows,
Here're the leading edges masked to an inch of their lives and sprayed with Gunze acrylic RLM 04 cut with water and some of that retarder everyone talks about. There's a little overspray, but not so much as to give me a headache.

Allan in Canberra