Revell Dornier 335 In Progress

Started by Allan, May 04, 2007, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

From everything I've read, your idea for markings would be accurate.

Neat idea BTW. Love the extra work you're doing.

GP
Getting back into modeling

Allan

Hi fellows,
Some more photos of the two cockpits, now with a control column made of sprue and a bent guitar string, top E I believe. Seat belts made of tape and PE.
Alert readers of this threat may notice that I have added some pieces of PE from a Mustang fret and reduced in size the dabs of red, yellow and white on the consoles and instrument panels. They looked a little too cartoonish before. Even now they look grotesquely huge in the photos, but in reality are quite small.
The cockpits were weathered with a silver pencil and then drybrushed with silver and light grey.
Well now, I think I'm ready to close up the two fuselage halves. Hopefully the rest will be plain sailing.

More photos soon.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

Hi fellows,
Here she is all buttoned up and with the wings on courtesy of Revell glue, Tenax and superglue.
First I've got to put a little weight in the nose and cement the nose guns.
Next comes the filler, sand, filler, sand dance.
Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

Looking good, Allan! I'm particuarly impressed by that Japanese wheel well color you used. It certainly looks striking on a Do-335. It's realistic details like that which turn heads.

Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks Brian,
It's WEM Aotake, the blue-green paint that supposedly goes onto Japanese wheelwells. Actually there is a Japanese plane of some description in the Australian War Memorial here in Canberra which clearly has this paint on it.
I'm not 100% sure but I tend to think that my Dornier should have a little more dihedral, but on the whole I'm satisfied with the way things have turned out so far.
It's the sanding routine that I'm not looking forward to.
This is how I'd like to paint my Dornier: overall silver with green blotches, though light grey undersurfaces and silver/green on top would be great too. Red tailplanes. Colorful stripe, maybe blue, mid-fuselage nose to tail. Maybe flat black anti-glare panel. Yellow leading edges.
I'll put the radar on but don't have a good explanation as to how a day fighter can have radar. This is turning into a fun build.
Allan in Canberra

GTX

Quotebut don't have a good explanation as to how a day fighter can have radar

Perhaps it's either an all-weather fighter (not just night) or it's some sort of ASW radar?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Allan

Thanks Greg for the convincing explanation. Does that mean Anti Submarine Warfare?
Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

ASW = Anti-Submarine Warfare. I'm glad you're having a blast with this build, Allan! Are you still going with the surrender markings?

Brian da Basher

Allan

Hi Brian,
Much depends on what sort of result I can get with the camo. If it looks really good with the silver and blotches and hinomarus then I think I'd be reluctant to overspray white and then slap on some green crosses. That might destroy a good paint job.
I'll decide a little further down the track.
Allan in Canberra

matrixone

Looking very good so far. You are correct about the dihedral, the Do 335 did have some, maybe a little than your model has.

Matrixone

GTX

Allan,

Actually, I was thinking Anti-Shipping/Surface Warfare (probably should have used ASuW), the Anti-sub could work as well - especially against those pesky American subs!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Allan

Greg
Still sounds pretty convincing to me so that's the story I'll run with.
Thanks for the cover story
Allan in Canberra
have done lots of sanding with three grades of sandpaper and will present more photos soon

Allan

Hi fellows
Here are some more pics of my Dornier in sanded and unsanded state.
We will have our club's annual comp this Sat and Sun and I have entered three of my Whiffs. I'll take some shots of the proceedings and post them next week. Also I will look for some sort of torpedo to put on my Dornier, but it'll have to be a short one. Also some good Japanese hinomarus and squadron emblems.
On one of the tailplanes there was a small section of deformed plastic, so I cut it away and replaced it with white plastic card. The addition will be quite unnoticable once the paint has been applied. Still have a little sanding to do around the fuselage to horizontal stabilizer joints.
I think I used 400, 1200 and 1600 grade sandpaper in between dabs of silver paint. I also used Mr Surfacer 500 and found that if I let it dry only about 10-11 hours it was unbelievably easy to sand away.

Allan in Canberra

Jetfixer

Looking great, can't wait for the finished model pics. this looks like its turning into a labour of love for you mate.

all the best.

Greg
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

Allan

Thanks Greg

Do you see the area behind the seats with the very visible seam?   I think I might cut some plastic card into shape and position it behind the seats to disguise the seam

Allan in Canberra