Revell Dornier 335 In Progress

Started by Allan, May 04, 2007, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Good looking plane Allan. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

Looking good, Allan! Those yellow ID markings will compliment your camo scheme nicely!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks fellows,
The yellow is drying vvveeerrryyy slowly in the garage and so I've been making myself busy preparing the smaller parts to be attached to the plane following decalling. This includes undercarriage, propellors and the like. Once the yellow's dry I'll remove the masking and post some more photos.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

More photos for you--just a little touching up to do.

Allan in Canberra

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sequoiaranger

Hate to rain on your parade, but you might want to make some sort of adjustment to your fuselage-mounted cannon bulges. In the attached photo excerpt, I have drawn arrows to the rectangular, sunken marks in the cannon mounts that I believe are expended shell-ejection chutes. As such, they "should" be pointing downward or at least sideways (as they would have been if they were underwing) so gravity helps the shells fall away and not get stuck or jam the chute. Note the similar chutes on your underwing cannon mounts. I don't know if it is possible to switch the two fuselage mounts, or maybe just fill in the sunken rectangle so no one like me notices!  :mellow:

But, the plane looks menacing---are Hinomarus going in the white patches?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

cthulhu77

I didn't know we had jmn's on whatiff. Huh. Go figure.

Allan, it is looking sharper than a tack !

Eddie M.

The shell ejection chutes make sense to me in that they are being expelled up and over the tail and not dinging things up. Makes sense in  my whif world. ;D

Sweet work Allan! Looking forward to more photos as you go along... B)
Look behind you!

sequoiaranger

>The shell ejection chutes make sense to me in that they are being expelled up and over the tail and not dinging things up. Makes sense in  my whif world.<

Good on You!

Sisko

Nice to see this one moving along!!!

I am really liking the finish on this :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Allan

Hi 'ranger and others,
Thanks for your kind comments and opinions. Yes, it had occurred to me that the shell exit chute looked peculiar on the topside, but I decided to press on with the model anyway.
I now need to do some touch up work, which will require some delicate airbrushing. I'm leaning towards putting a large fuel tank under the belly.
More photos in a few days.
Allan in Canberra

ChernayaAkula

That is one cool paintjob! :worship:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

noxioux

Eddie M.

Quote from: sequoiaranger on December 09, 2008, 10:40:03 PM
>The shell ejection chutes make sense to me in that they are being expelled up and over the tail and not dinging things up. Makes sense in my whif world.<

Good on You!

Thank you!
Look behind you!

sequoiaranger

Allan: The ejection-chute recommendation was not trying to tell you how to do the model--believe me, I subscribe to the "IT'S MY FECKING MODEL" theory. I really like how it is coming along, and I support your whif. I was just trying to "improve the reality" of the whif for whatever it was worth.

If you will indulge me yet again, I just realized that ANY metal ejected by the fuselage gun pods are going to go straight into the rear propeller. There isn't enough force, even in whif imagination, to eject the shell far enough out into space to clear the rear prop. The wind (considering you're going some 400 mph) will cause a resultant vector of nearly straight back motion, and the heavy brass would severely ding the prop and cause consternation to the pilot. So it's better to just have NO ejection chute. Presumably there is ample room in the fuselage to store the shell casings until the bird gets back to base (plus, that metal would be precious and would best be conserved).

The drop tank, however, is far enough from the edge of the propeller arc that it should drop away and clear the prop. Wouldn't want THAT humongous thing hitting the propeller!

One of these days I am going to do a whif using the Do-335 as a base aircraft, so I am eagerly watching your project.
I love the camo scheme, and look forward to seeing the completed model.