Revell Dornier 335 In Progress

Started by Allan, May 04, 2007, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Looking very slick. Hey, we all have decal fiascos now and again !

BlackOps

I think a grey wash would look best with your color scheme.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

matrixone

Allan,
Your Do 335 is shaping up nicely, for your exhaust stains try and airbrush them on. Use highly thinned brown/black paint and low air pressure (no more than ten PSI) and slowly build up the stains on each side of the fuselage. Your HP-B airbrush should be able to do this without much trouble but if in doubt add the exhaust stains with pastel chalks.
Also don't forget about weathering the tires and wheels too, some dry brushing of earth colored paint on the treads look good in most cases.

Matrixone

Allan

Good morning fellows,
Here's how it looks with matt varnish on. I've done some weathering and will post piccies in a day or two. It was a little toylike like this so this is how I did the weathering. I wasn't confident enough to use my airbrush, but Matrixone, thanks for the suggestion.
1. Silver pencil here and there
2. Drybrushed with some charcoal and powdered lead, sometimes mixed together and sometimes separately
3. Drybrushed with silver paint
4. Very thin wash of burnt sienna mixed with water painted all over the plane and rubbed off with tissue paper

Allan in Canberra

sotoolslinger

Gorgeous . :wub:Not toylike as the Japanese paint schemes were very colorful according to my references. :lol: :rolleyes: Looking forward to the weathering :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

Just gorgeous, Allan! I really like your Aotake green in the wheel wells and your treatment of the exhausts. Everytime update on this epic project just keeps getting better and better!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks for the kind comments.
Here's the plane being weathered with a wash on the uppersurfaces and the acrylic craft paint I use mixed with water. I'll show you the lower surfaces in my next post--it's pretty filthy. This wash lark is lots of fun.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

Underside weathering with copious washes of grey and burnt sienna.
I'll let it dry now, use powdered lead for the gun powder residue and then slap on a coat of matt varnish.
Then on with the undercarriage.
Allan in Canberra

BlackOps

Allan, this is going to look great when ya finish her up!  :thumbsup:  Glad your having fun, weathering is one of my favorite things.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

Finally, tape off the canopy, which will need some touchup paint here and there. I'll use silver.
Allan in Canberra

Rafael

Impressive, Allan. This build is a real class for those of us who would like to paint well. You make it look like it was sooo easy. And it's been a most enjoyable process. Can't wait for her being ready to pose.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Brian da Basher

The weathering is the icing on the cake, Allan! I don't think I've ever seen it done better, nor done on a more challenging paint scheme!

The fellows in your modelling club will be dazzled beyond words by this beauty just as I am!
:bow: :bow:
Brian da Basher

Allan

Slowly getting there--I'm working on the canopy framing right now and have completed the weathering of the undercarriage doors.
Here's the workbench with a glass of Aussie rose to keep me company.
Allan in Canberra

sotoolslinger

Dang but that is a pretty airplane :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Allan

Undercarriage weathered and ready for a final coat of matt varnish. A number on the undercarriage door is a cheap and effective way to brighten up a battered Japanese warplane.
Allan in Canberra