Revell Dornier 335 In Progress

Started by Allan, May 04, 2007, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Good idea that Al - looking good
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Brian da Basher

Wow that's some great progress there Allan! You could go the plastic card route on that seam or just use a little dab of putty. I'm really impressed how you fixed that tailplane. That's some very professional looking work! Thanks for keeping us updated on this cool project!

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Coming along well, Allan !  If you have a small fingernail file, the metal kind, you could smear some filler back there, use the round end of the file to smooth it out, and then sand it once dry...it might be easier than having to cut card, and then fill and sand the edges of the card.

Sisko

Looks good Allen.

That seam should not be that hard to fill. Greg pretty well summed up what I was going to say anyway.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Allan

Hi fellows,
Thank you for your kind comments. I've painted the area behind the seats dark gray and have fashioned two pieces of plastic card to place over the seam line. I had to make a cutout for the seatback otherwise the thickness of the card would have pushed the seat forward. I'm still not 100% if I will actually use these pieces of card. We'll see. I would really like to make up some sort of headrest using thin strips of card.
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

My LHS has the Tamiya 1/48 kit reduced to £16 - after this build I'm tempted - may go back tommorow  ;)

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Allan

Chris
that might be a good idea as the plane is a wonderful design and is very hefty as well..you can really go to town on it with underwing stores and radar and the like

I'm sure that Tamiya would've made the cockpit work easy for you

Allan in Canberra

please tell me what you decide to do and if you buy it is there some way you can let me have a look at the instructions for the cockpit?

Allan

Hi fellows
Saturday morn and just about to head off to the model comp.
Here's my Dornier with the pieces of plastic car attached firmly with lots of Revell glue. Have to sand them into shape next.

Allan in Canberra

Damian2

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Allan

Thanks Damian
Got some work done at reception today at our annual comp and bought some hinomarus for A$15
plastic card more or less sanded into shape

me at reception

Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

That's a great shot of you holding up the 335 Allan! I also enjoyed the club pics you posted. You did some nice work on those bulkheads. This is one cracker of a build!

Brian da Basher

Allan

thanks Brian and here are some more shots prior to undercoating in silver, which I hope to do today
later on I'll remove the tape from the canopies, mask them, white glue them to the fuselage dnd then final paint it

Allan in Canberra

Allan

Hi fellows
I've put some silver on the plane as sort of undercoat, but am uncertain whether I will attempt this color on the final plane. If I do, it might be better to rattlecan it silver as I don't seem to be able to apply the silver paint with my crappy airbrush too well. I might abandon silver and go with green upper and grey lower.
We'll see.
As you know, the Arrow came with a wing leading edge light, so I've cut and sawn one out and lined the resulting hole with plastic card. Later I'll sand/cut it into shape and use Surfacer 500 to smooth things out. I think the head of a pin might past muster as the actual light, but I'm in need of suggestions on how to cover the hole with something transparent. Sticky tape perhaps?
The saw I used was cut from a box of aluminium foil and it proved to be very useful.

Allan in Canberra
Off to see Dinosaur Junior at the local university on 11 July!!!

HOG

Hi Allan
For the leading edge/landing light how about a piece of clear sprue. A slightly drilled hole in the back can represent the bulb.
Paint the back silver and fix with clear glue and when set sand to leading edge shape and polish to regain transparency
Regards Gary[8-]
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

cthulhu77

Looking good there...what kind of silver are you using?