Revell Dornier 335 In Progress

Started by Allan, May 04, 2007, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Wow Allan this project is coming along very nicely indeed! I second the suggestion about using clear sprue. Best method I can think of to scratch landing lights.

Brian da Basher

HOG

Hi Allan,
Just to add that you may need to shape the back of the sprue before you fix it in place as the 335 had a `square` shaped light. Below is a pic of mine in 1:48, For the bulbs in this I used 2 small ball bearings but in 1:72 a drill hole will prob` be easier.

It`s not very clear but hopefuly it will convey the method
Regards Gary

H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Allan

thanks for the tips fellows
the silver I'm using is Revell metallic number 11
later on i'll probably ask for some tips on plishing the clar sprue
allan in Canberra

cthulhu77

See if you can find Snj Talon metal paints...wonderful stuff, according to the press. I've always used alclad, but with this new product out, will probably switch over.

John Howling Mouse

Quoteme at reception

Now, if our local clubs had these kinds of friendly, inviting faces, I'd attend their meetings!!!

Your Dornier is looking great, Allan.  Nice to see you incorporating new techniques all over the place.  There's a definite sort of courage in that.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Allan, looks like your making good progress on this one. Keep up the good work, I'm very interested to see how your light turns out!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

thanks fellows
Apres sanding, although if truth be told I have since added a tiny drop or two of 500 to help smooth things out.

Allan in Canberra

Allan

first coat of red on the tailplanes
it's Humbrol 19 gloss, which I don't really like as I don't like gloss paint...give me matt any day, but gloss is all I had
mixed the paint a little thin so will have to put on another coat in a few days

Allan in Canberra

BlackOps

Allan, you may not be too fond of the gloss but the red tail looks pretty cool, you could always hit it with some dull coad after you get all your decals on.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

second coat of red applied the other night    
then some Testor's Dullcote the next morning (this morning), but no photos of that just yet
so here's the second coat of red, still glossy
it went on pretty well and dried a lot faster than using a brush
next I'll mask off the tailplanes and then apply some flat grey primer
white backgrounds for the rising suns, fus and wings, next followed by yellow for the wings' leading edges
then silver from a rattle can, I think

Allan in Canberra

HOG

Hi Allan,
I see now you`ve got to the painting stage, and I hope I`m not interferring but it might be easier to fit that wing light soon as it may need sanding to the shape of the wing and polishing to return it to transparent state.
Looking good so far and keep the pics coming
regards Gary[8-]
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Allan

thanks for the tip Garry...much appreciated
and what do you suggest I polish it with apres sanding?

Allan in Canberra

HOG

Hi Again Allan,
Normally I keep on using higher and higher grades of wet n dry used wet up to around 2000 grade. Some times a final polish with a piece of denim or similar material helps or another old favorite of mine was Flixigrit. Similar to wet n dry paper but had a plastic backing paper and went up to seriously high grade no`s for polishing but DON`T use a dremel or similar. These I find tend to burr the surface even when used at the slowest speeds.
regards Gary[8-]

oh just remembered Johnsons klear brushed on as a final coat helps as it fills any small gaps between the surround and the clear piece.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Allan

thanks Garry   great tips and I'll get onto it pretty quickly
Allan in Canberra

Allan

a few more photos of the Dornier with red tail and wing light ready for sanding

Allan in Canberra