Revell Dornier 335 In Progress

Started by Allan, May 04, 2007, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

"Sometimes 'less' is just...well...less.  Increase the dosage!"

----Dr. Sven Goydenblum
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

I like the cannons on the sides of the fuse. But then again, I tend to think you can never have too many weapons!

It's great to see the mock-up, Allan! I like the drop-tank too. Watching your progress on this build is better than cable tV!

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Hmm, I kind of like the fuselage mounts coupled with the underwing mounts...yeah, it is a little over the top, but weren't they at the close of the war?
 That sucker would have some kind of punch!

Allan

Hi all,
Photos later on in a day or two, but what I did last night was cement two of those small cannons to the wingtips.
Also, I used white glue to blend in the pods to the surface of the underwings as the curves didn't quite match.
Using white glue has saved me a lot of sanding, and all I have to do is slightly moisten a cottonbud, buff away the surplus white glue and then seal it with a thin coat of grey paint as an undercoat. You'll see.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

More photos. As you may notice, I've sanded away the nose gun protrusions. Just didn't like them. Also, have added some more cannons, this time under the back cockpit. I'll add a cannon barrel to one of the cannons on one of the wingtips later on down the track using a piece of lead from a propelling pencil.

Allan in Canberra

HOG

Hi Alan

A couple of points,
I know it`s a wiff but the wing tip guns, apart from the weight where do you keep the ammo.
As for the guns under the rear cockpit,they will hit the rear prop with spent cases when they fire, and the one in front of the intake will fill the turbo will gungas fumes when it fires.

Sorry if this dissapoints but IMHO even wiffs have to have some sembelance of reality.

regards Gary[8-]
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

BlackOps

Allan, maybe your aircraft was testing a new top secret caseless ammo. I say if you like the look of it, anything can be explained away  ;)

Of course I might not be the one to ask since I like guns, if you remember, my beaufighter might have been a bit over the top  :lol:

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

I really like all the cannons! I didn't notice those wingtip ones first time around but they really add to the look of this beauty! As for spent ammo from the fuse mounted guns, it could be diverted via ductwork to a collection bin in the belly. Black Ops is right, you can always explain any anomolies in the backstory!

This one just keeps getting better and better Allan! Are you going for a B-29 killer or a ground-pounder?

Either way, I give your 335 a Bravo-Zulu!
:salute:
Brian da Basher

P.S. Nice job filling in those gaps with white glue. Isn't that stuff awesome for small gaps?  

Allan

Thanks for your comments fellows, they're always interesting to read and digest.
And you're right about those cannons being peculiarly placed-oh well the modelling part of this project is turning out to be a lot of fun. Once the guns and so on are in possie, I'll spray white (Gunze flat) on the aft fus and wing tips and then mask that off prior to slapping on a coat of something, maybe silver from a rattle can and then again maybe grey under and green upper. Have to mask those damn canopies first, though.
One of the fus cannons has quite a gap between it and the fus that may not be fillable with white glue, so I'll use Mr Surfacer 500 instead. The undersides of the fus cannons have a little gap that normally I'd fill, but it's hard to see as it's shielded by the wing, so I'll do nothing about it. So there!
I'm off to see Dinosaur Junior tomorrow evening at the local uni.
Allan in Canberra
Oh and another thing while you're still here, I've got a 109G spinner that I might put on the nose instead of the kit one. And I may team it with a real large four-blade prop that I have lying around, but it'll mean some surgery on the spinner, though.

Brian da Basher

Wow a 109 spinner and four-bladed prop would really look great, Allan!

Painting the requisite spiral on the 109 spinner is up to you. ;)

Brian da Basher

Allan

Hi all,
Some white now on the wings and fuselage, but it didn't go on just as I would like so I'll sand it a little once it's dry  and mist on some more coats in a few days.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH, it looks like acrylic and me will never be good friends. Once I've finished with my Tamiya and Gunze white I'll return to the loving arms of matt Humbrol. In the meantime, this is what it looks like. Once the white is done to my satisfaction, I'll mask it off and then decide on colors for the rest of the plane, maybe all silver, but then again lately I've been leaning towards grey lower and some kind of green upper. But light blue lower and dark upper might be nice too. Deciding on colors is really the fun part of modelling.

Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

Nice progress, Allan! Thanks for keeping us up to date on this cool project. You're right, chosing a color schemne is one of the really fun parts of the hobby.

With all those fish on your background, I'm surprised you're not considering hanging a torpedo off that plane!

Brian da Basher

lancer

Seriously enjoying this build Allan, looking forward to some more pics and stuff.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Allan

Hi fellows,
The white on the wings and the fus has been masked and yellow sprayed to the leading edges. I did the yellow after work today in the garage for about 30 minutes or so. Now I'll let the yellow really dry for about 4 days--- it's Humbrol matt 69 I think.
In the meantime I'll mask the two canopies and attach them, followed by the upper and lower colors. I'm now leaning towards light grey or pale blue lower and dark blue upper with streaks of white on the dark blue to resemble breaking waves as my plane will be a Japanese anti-aircraft carrier attack plane.

Allan in Canberra

ysi_maniac

Hard hitting indeed. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.