Revell Dornier 335 In Progress

Started by Allan, May 04, 2007, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Wow that sounds like one killer camo scheme there Allan! It's going to be a real treat to see something so different on a 335.

Eagerly awaiting the next update,
Brian da Basher

BlackOps

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished Allan!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

Thanks fellows and here's an update
canopies now masked and ready for whiteglueing to the fus
here're my masking knives   I like to use frosted tape and burnish it down with a sharp pencil  
the little box of knives I bought for about A$2....they'll get blunt quickly but are quite useful
the other knife I picked up in a Bangkok department store and it comes with three blades that plug into the handle and return there when you're finished using it
before painting the canopies what I'll do is give them a coat of flat varnish to hopefully seal the edges and give the paint something to grab hold of

Allan in Canberra

Mossie

One Sharp(e) knife!!!

Coming along great Allan, can't wait to see the finished result!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

I can't decide which I enjoy more Allan, your progress on this awesome build or your backgrounds!

It's always a delight to see you post where you are on this 335. I think the end result is going to cause a lot of "ooohs" and "aahhhs" at your modelling club!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks fellows,
Here's the Dornier with the two canopies whiteglued on. What I'll do next is run a thinned-down solution of white glue and water/iso alcohol, just to be differerent, in the seams just to make sure they're filled.
Then a coat of matt varnish from the spray can, followed by a coat of some sort of dark grey, who really cares what shade, to represent in inside color. Then I think one more light dusting of yellow on one small part of the leading edges.

Allan in Canberra

HOG

Hi Allen,

Looking real good.

THat little box of blades and handle look useful, I get something very much like that here in the UK for 0.99p for figure conversions and also find that they blunt quickly. I use an old stone for a cutthroat razor and resharpen them.  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Allan

Thank you for the tip, Hog, I'll have to give it a try. To date, I've tried sharpening cheap  blades with sandpaper.
Here's the Dornier with the canopy painted in a Lifecolor acrylic light grey brushed on. I may or may not mist some more yellow onto the leading edges because that will mean four more days waiting for the stuff to dry and I'm anxious for more progress to be made. Will decide later. I'm not sure if I can spray neatly next to the fus guns so may have to brush paint a thin coat onto the area between the upper wings and the guns just to ensure uniform coverage. A few shots of the sunny modelling desk as well.

Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

That's some fine progress, Allan! I know exactly what you mean about wanting to make more prgoress on a project. The leading edges look fine in the photos but only your eye knows for sure. I can tell you that from my experience, I've never regretted taking a bit more time on a project. The huge errors I make tend to come from rushing it.

Thanks for including the shot of your modelling desk. It makes me feel like I'm watching this build over your shoulder.

Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks Brian
I've just come in from the garage where, upon mature reflection, I decided to touch up the yellow with  some light coats of Lifecolor RLM 4, so it will dry pretty fast, or at least faster than my Humbrol enamel. Photos later on.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

Dornier update,
First undercoat applied using Agama RLM 78. I don't have a lot of this paint left, so might as well use it up as undercoat. As you can see, it dries to a beautiful uniformly flat finish, which is why I would love to get more of the stuff here in OZ. I'm not crash hot with the airbrush and the paint spit a little here and there so I'll have to sand some of it off and also add some putty or superglue to one of the trailing edges, but on the whole Agama has give me a lovely palette for the final camo scheme, which by the way I still haven't really decided , but I do have a bottle of acrylic Japanese navy sky grey by Polly Scale that is crying out for use. Whew! What a long sentence. Here're the photos.

Allan in Canberra

Rafael

Wow, Allan, this is coming up very nicely. I like your work on the canopies. Being a heavy-handed tinlet and brush painter myself, I can't imagine the trouble you run into while painting so delicately and precisely with an airbrush. I gotta try it someday :salute:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Allan

Thank you Rafael
I was a brushie for years too.
The airbush I'm using is a Chinese knockoff of a Paasch H and it's okay, but just okay. The whizbang dual action jobbie I scored on Ebay hasn't been used yet as I'm not keen on getting it dirty--pathetic excuse I know. All things considered, I wish I had bought the Badger 100G as that one looks like a real useful brush. But one day I'll get around to using the dual action one and like modellers all over the world I'll probably wonder why I didn't make the change earlier.
These photos show the undercarriage covers sprayed with Polly Scale Imperial Japanese Navy sky grey to check out the effect. It dried quickly and went on well, so I think I'll use my remaining meagre stock on the undersurface of the Dornier.

Allan in Canberra

Sisko

Making good progress allan!!!

Can't wait to see more.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Allan

Here's the Dornier with the Japanese sky grey on the undersurfaces. I'll need to touch up the paint in only one small place, so I'm pleased with the result. I don't have much of this paint left, so the uppersurface painting will have to be masked quite carefully to keep overspray and consequent touchup to the minimum.

Allan in Canberra