Main Menu

Stirling

Started by Captain Canada, May 05, 2007, 09:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Hi there,
  My name is Toad and I build CDN what-ifs. This one is gonna be a long range anti shipping bird, done in those lovely colours that the Mossie was with the Banff Strike Wing.

Here's the prelim on the Centaurus conversion.

Notice the new leading edge opening for the oil cooler/ air intake or whatever it was on the wing of the Sea Fury. Does it look big enough for two Cents ? Or should I enlarge it ? Maybe cut another hole on each side of the nacelles ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Daryl J.

From the viewpoint of an ignoramus, it looks good.  Much bigger and the area behind the cowling would look over done.     But that's just my opinion.  B)

Any Stirling whiffer is great.    Airfix kit perchance?

Daryl J.

Captain Canada

Yup, she's Airfix.

Thanks to BdB for the kit !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Allan

Good one Toad,
I'm going to keep my eye on this thread for sure

Allan in Canberra

The Rat

Carrying torpedos perchance?! I've realised that shallow bomb bay is tailor made for that sort of ordnance now you mention what you're up to. I suspect a lot of whiffers just had one of those D'OH! moments!  :cheers:

I built the Airfix Stirling over 30 years ago, and that fuselage can be a bugger. It's so long and skinny that there can be a pronounced twist to it, they should have molded it differently.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Ya, the bomb bay is pefect for that ! And I thought the little wing would be great for the low level environment, and the big Centaurus for those high speed dashes when they swoop in for the kill !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Can't wait to see further progress on this one, Captain.

;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Mossie

I like the idea Cap!  The Striling is one of the great neglected aircraft of WWII, not improved much in it's lifetime, forgotten over the Lancs & Halifaxes & neglected in kit form too, Airfix's is an oldie but a goodie.

I agree, that short thick wing would be good for lower level anti-shipping ops.  Maybe lose the front turret with a Mk.V style nose, better for observation & bomb aiming?  Or simply fair the turret, leaving the lower bob aimers position?  Many Coastal Command bombers had this kind of modification.  Magna do a Mk.V conversion, but it's a little on the pricey side:
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=MAG7284

Here's some pics:

Stirling Mk.V

Stirling with glazed fairing over forward turret position.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Thanks again, guys ! I had no idea about that Mk. V ! Cool ! I do have a plan for the nose........
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dogsbody

Wouldn't you want to keep the nose turret, for flak supression?

Will it be armed with bombs or torpedos?

If equipped with radar, will you fit it with an H2S type blister under the rear fuselage, or with twin under-wing blisters, as fitted to the late model Sunderlands?
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Brian da Basher

Cap'n I'm pleased as punch to see you've started the build already! I am watching your mods with great interest! I can't wait to see how she turns out!

Brian da Basher

Captain Canada

Wow, good questions, Dogsbody !

I was thinking that the underwing rockets would take out the flak....but maybe you're right about having guns in the nose ! I'll have to look into that.

I was thinking of a ventral H2S set up, as I plan on modifying the bomb bays anyway.

BdB...stay tuned, updates coming up !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Underwing bomb bays covered. The space is needed for cooling/ air or something for the Centaurus, as well as extra fuel.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Sentinel Chicken

You might consider an underfuselage tray of cannons like some Liberators used in the antisubmarine role in the Atlantic.

Captain Canada

Might work....I was also looking for pics of the RAF Fortresses with the big cannon. Anybody got a good link ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?