Main Menu

Stirling

Started by Captain Canada, May 05, 2007, 09:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Keep plugging away at it-----this is going to be cool when it's done!   :)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Already taking on a nice shape, looking forward to more updates :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

NARSES2

Looks like the head of that Purple Dinosaur thingy beloved of parents around the world - Barney ?  :D

Nice start Capt'
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

this is looking very good captain.  ^_^  
Keeper of George the Cat.

Captain Canada

Thanks guys !

But I'm afeared I may have screwed up somewhat. The nose thing is a gondola for the gun aimer, but if larger would have been perfect for the radar. Originally, I was going to divide the bomb bay into two smaller ones, and add the radar in between them. Then I decided to keep the giant bay as I was planning on filling in the wing bays in lieu of more fuel tanks. So I was going to put the radar behind the bomb bay....but now it seems that it would be too far aft and drag on the ground when taking off and alighting.

So.....either I go back to the two smaller bomb bays with the H2S in the middle, or add a retracting radar like the Shak behind the standard bomb bay ?

:wacko:

I was also looking to add a 'hose nose' kind of radar like the B-25 had. I have to admit knowing pretty much nowt about radar types, so would it be plausable to have an air-to-air type night fightyer radar in the nose and the surface scanner in the rear ?

Any help/ suggestions greatly appreciated !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Dunno Todd, but here's some Stirling Inspiration  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Martin H

Some sterlings did carry H2S just behind the bomb bay so locating your radar there shoul mean u wont have to do any mods to the bomb bay.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Oh yeah, right on, Martin ! That's exactly one of the answers I was looking for ! Now, how about the 'hose nose' ?

And Nevster.....thanks for that link ! What a build ! That thing should be in a museum !

I'd love to someday have a set of all three big, beautiful Brit bombers adorning my shelves. And then a set of V-bombers as well !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I think our good friend here should be given the keys to the freedom of whatever city he chooses for coming-up with two of the most unforgetable phrases ever posted on this here site.....

G P S R - Get Pissed, Sand Repeat....... Priceless

"Anyone recognise this bulge" - unintentionally (?) hysterical in a rude schoolboy stylee

Thanks, Toad, I needed that !.... Great project BTW.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

Hehehe...thanks IHG ! But I never intended it in that manner......I was just wondering if anybody would notice that it's a sponson from and Airfix Sea King !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dogsbody

The Stirling had almost the same wing as the Sunderland. You could mount radar fairings under the wing, a la Sunderland.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Captain Canada

Mmmmmm.....Sunderland !

I had almost forgot about that bird, and never really thought about the similarity in the wings ! I can't put the radar there, tho....as mine will have rockets.

I gotta go see my LHS and grab me a Sunderland, tho. I've been wanting one for years !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dogsbody

So you mean somrthing like this?
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,

dogsbody

I have the following H2S fairings in the spares, all 1/72.

Matchbox Wellington nose mounting
Matchbox Lancaster  belly mounting
Matchbox Halifax  belly mounting

The above are molded in regular styrene.

Airfix Lancaster belly mounting, molded in clear plastic.

I'm willing to donate any one of these, if you would like to use it.
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,

Captain Canada

Wow...thanks for that pic ! After Martin mentioning it, I've been looking for a pic to see how it was fitted. The Stirling is a funny aeroplane, one which I never really liked. Now, the more I see of it, the more I like it ! Especially after seeing that pic, how majestic she looks with all those little people about her......

:wub:

As for the H2S fairings, I've got a few. The Shak kit has one as well as one in a retracted position. I am wondering about the Wellington nose mounted one, tho. I wonder if it would be suitable for an underwing position ?

Cheers
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?