Civilian Aircraft and Military Training Aircraft Converted to COIN Missions

Started by Thorvic, May 09, 2007, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Harrier?  They've probably missed out on the Shar, they're mostly scrapped or in museums now.  The RAF have a few Jags going begging though.....

Hawks a good idea, Archie, especially since the Navy already have T-45's (although that might count against it!).  Pilatus PC-21?  Hunter??? Buccaneer????? Gnat???????

Maybe BAe should ressurect the SABA program???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

Quote[ Now that the A-10 has gotten high-tech (becuase no general in the USAF worthy of his rank can *STAND* having a low-tech airplane in his service),
I'm not sure that cobbling together off the shelf mobile phones to make a stand off/relay targeting pod is hi-tech.

Still, at least using something like a Tucano will stop dumb-arse CAS like using a 2000lb LGB to take out a couple of guys with a mortar....  <_<  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Martin H

QuoteHmm!  Isn't the RAF sitting on a few Pucara's at the moment,  they could be put to good use.
not in the condition their in lol. Only fit for museams, I think one was airworthy when we got our hands on it, or made airworthy after it changed hands. RTCB can provide more details, as he's the forums resident pucara experten.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Archibald

Ok, here's an idea... we all know that first (and only?) atempt to fit a turboprop into a Skyraider fuselage ended into a costly and miserable failure (the skyshark).
But this was nearly 60 years ago...
What modern turboprop would fit into a Skyraider ?  ;)  

Can someone imagine a Tyne or T-56 Spad ?  :wub:  

I still have four T-56 (from Heller) left by what become the FSW soviet bomber (I have to end this one one day  :(  )

Now you give me ideas... a T-56 Skyraider...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Shasper

I dig the idea about new-built OV-10Ds (sometime ago I read that the MC was looking into pulling a few from AMARC for OEF & OIF ops) and the new AT-6.

I'm surprised no one has thought about a 2-seat A-10 based off the old N/AW. Surely there's a quite a few A-10s sitting out in AMARC that could be pulled, and the AF could convert the OA-10 into a true FAC.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

B777LR

Hasnt the USMC been planning to bring back a few of the AMARC OV-10s? Could the USAF jump onto the same wagon? Why havent they looked at more predators? (non-recon version with forwards looking camera and rockets and gun?)

How many Skyraiders are currently parked in AMARC/storage? Piston engine will do :wub:

Does argentina still operate Pucaras? Are they still in production? Could the US make an agreement with argentina to licensebuild it?

Then theres the: Yak-130/M-346. Lockheed could pull off a C-27J ish deal with it perhaps?

And the Mig-AT and its italian counterpart?

Or even better... AV-22!  

jcf

You know of course what will actually happen doncha?

Billions spent on 'studies' and 'proposals' ,maybe some test hardware and 8 - 10 years down the road the program will be canceled as 'no longer a tactical requirement'.  <_<

They don't just need a COIN 'aircraft', they need a COIN 'plan'. Creating the plan should be the first step.

Jon

p.s. Nev that 2000lb bomb IS the Air Force version of CAS. The Marines/USN will tell ya the USAF don't know no betta.  :ar:  

ysi_maniac

QuoteMaybe BAe should ressurect the SABA program???
Of course they should: It would be cool B)
but IMHO, SABA was not in COIN league. :unsure:  
Will die without understanding this world.

tinlail

The planes are for the Iraq's air force. I think that makes the small turbo props much more likely. Add in GPS guided bombs, and hellfire missles and I think you would have a much better attack plane than was possible 20 years ago for the size.

Archibald

QuoteDoes argentina still operate Pucaras? Are they still in production? Could the US make an agreement with argentina to licensebuild it?

good idea, Lockheed already bought shares of Iae/ FMA and actually market a modern Pampa. So a Lockheed Pucara must be possible... but I'm quite sure the type is no longer in production...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Shasper

Trip-7, at the moment the USAF has about 9 MQ-9 Reapers (Predator-B) on order.

I dont think the UCAV is whats needed for COIN due to the Situational Awareness issues & the need for quick re-tasking and reaction time, something that the UCAV cant do by itself at the current moment & having the human in the loop would severly inhibit the operation, not to mention the whole possibility of shooting-up the wrong people.

What is needed is the old fasion armed FAC-A: 2-seat, armed with a variety of stuff & tough as my grand pa.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

I wish the USAF would stop stealing my ideas - see here.  Though admittedly, my idea is for a new Iraqi Air Force one.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Burncycle

Mossie

QUOTE (kitnut617 @ May 9 2007, 02:36 PM)
Hmm! Isn't the RAF sitting on a few Pucara's at the moment, they could be put to good use. 

not in the condition their in lol. Only fit for museams, I think one was airworthy when we got our hands on it, or made airworthy after it changed hands. RTCB can provide more details, as he's the forums resident pucara experten.
Martin, we definately brought home one airworthy Pucara, ZD485.  There were two others as well, ZD486 & ZD487 but I've no idea what condition they were in.
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...ine_version=6.0

QUOTE (Mossie @ May 9 2007, 02:47 PM)
Maybe BAe should ressurect the SABA program??? 

Of course they should: It would be cool 
but IMHO, SABA was not in COIN league.
I know what you mean Carlos, SABA was more of a helicopter killer, but I always thought that it would make a perfect COIN/CAS aircraft, able to get low, high dash speeds, very high maneouverbility.  Kit it up with a new mission fit & it would have fitted the role nicely, IMHO.

Saying that, hang some bombs or CRV-7's off the wings of an Extra 300.... :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Iranian F-14A

Well,I bet the USAF is wishing it would have ordered those PA-48 Enforcers back in the '80s.Granted they'd be a little old now,but,no more so then most the other aircraft in the fleet.Imagine a model of the P-51 flying in 2008.Still,if you can't have the Enforcer,I'd go with the EMB-314.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter