Civilian Aircraft and Military Training Aircraft Converted to COIN Missions

Started by Thorvic, May 09, 2007, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Quote from: Nils on August 21, 2008, 10:42:12 AM
personally, i thing the tirst Belgian designed trainer, the Promavia Squalus would be a good platform for a FAC/COIN aircraft (first picture)

however, my preference go to the planned tandemseat version (2nd picture) witch was designed in cooperation with RSK MIG and Boeing  <_<

Was the trainer in the 2nd picture a development of the trainer in the 1st picture?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

elmayerle

Quote from: philp on August 22, 2008, 12:16:04 PM
Thanks Weaver,
Anyone know if these are available in 72nd scale?

Doesn't one version of the Airfix Hunter have this option as part of the armament?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

kitnut617

Quote from: elmayerle on August 23, 2008, 08:59:11 PM
Quote from: philp on August 22, 2008, 12:16:04 PM
Thanks Weaver,
Anyone know if these are available in 72nd scale?

Doesn't one version of the Airfix Hunter have this option as part of the armament?

The early issue of the Airfix Mk.6 has stacked RP's but they're not like these in the photo Evan, they're like scaled down 60lb RP's found on Hurricanes or Mosquitoes and are stacked in threes IIRC.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

philp

Thanks guys, the pic I have is a Mauritanian bird (5T-MAS) with the 2 stacks of 5 on the outer pylon.  Assuming the same load on the other side that is 20 rockets with 4 fins each...
Maybe my model will be unarmed :rolleyes:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitnut617

kitnut617

I've just received an old Airfix bagged Folland Gnat and it has four stacks of three RP's that look a bit like those in the photo, only the fins are at the rear.

Weaver

I recall somebody saying on here that T-33 kits are hard to come by. Well the LHS has three old Hasegawa T-33s and three pre-turbo Mentors in: £7 each, and when they're gone, they're gone.

I'd be tempted myself, but I've already got my Trainers with Teeth GB kits sorted. If anyone wants one, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to pick them up and post them for you.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

chrisonord

I have done both a tucano and a turbo mentor as Coin aircraft. The mentor has a centreline gun, 4 rocket pods and a FLIR pod under the fuselage also.The tucano can bite aircraft also, as it is armed with sidewinders a wing mounted gun pod and 3 rocket pods. I have another tucano waiting to be built and given similar treatment. Also on the coin/point defence role is a Hawk 100 and a Hawk 200. Oh and another F-84 to be turbopropped, and made into a 2 seater.   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

GTX

Ok folks, I know we had the "Trainers with teeth" GB and there were a lot of good ideas put forward/created, but here's a thread to allow the continued posting of such ideas:

Here's one I was just thinking of - a Saab Sk60/Saab 105) modified into a COIN bird ala the A-37.  I know there were various light attack versions/proposals (the Sk 60B, C, G, 105XH and 105XT all had attack capabilities/roles to varying degrees), but what about one with internal minigun etc?

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Stargazer

I have always thought the Beechcraft T-34 would have looked great with a more streamlined cockpit à la Temco... But what about a single-seat COIN version?

Here's my version of it... the Beechcraft XAT-34E Victor...

philp

Nice but I would do it with the Turbo Mentor for more power to carry more weapons.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

elmayerle

That pic looks, from the cowling, more like a conversion of a straight T-34 than a T-34C but it certainly conveys the idea.  If I was going for a single-seat T-34C, I'd step up to a larger engine that the PT6A-25 that the T-34C uses and do a general wing redesign to allow the carriage of more, and heavier, stores.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Shasper

The ol' Ryan Navion would've been perfect for a light armed FAC/COIN, given it's observation role.
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Stargazer

Great ideas, everyone. I think I'll give' em a go some time soon. The idea of a COIN Ryan Navion particularly appears to me...