Modern Skyraider ?

Started by Archibald, May 09, 2007, 10:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damian2

FTWalker from the ARC forums has been kind enough to send me the engine nacells, props etc from a junked AC-130 kit so I'll be starting as soon as I get them whoo hoo!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

kitnut617

Thinking about what propeller you would use on this project, I myself wouldn't use the Herc prop.  These have a very distinctive sound and very noisy.  I can hear these for miles and quite a long time before the aircraft becomes visible to me.

If it got known that this noise preceded an attack, I think anyone would be diving for cover as soon as they heard it.  My observation for what it's worth.

I have the same feeling about the AC-130's, It is well known what the configuration of the guns are and that they have to circulate in one direction, I'm sure that anyone could figure out where it might be just by the sound.

Robert  
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Here's a Douglas project for a turbo-prop attacker in the Skyraider size range:

Cheers, Jon

B777LR

Yes, yes, to joncarrfarrely you listen must, archie! To his picture look! Propellers! Sollution for your problem this is!

GTX

This Douglas project reminds me of the Breguet Br.960 Vultur:

See here for more info.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Damian2

Hmmm you see I happen to have a rather abused 1/48 Matchbox AD-5...think I should turbo-prop the excrement out of it??

Of course it means cracking the fuselage open and having to scratch build the cockpit as the person who started it didn't know about modeling and really stuffed it up. I was going to cheat and just paint the canopy but that would be a cheat (I actually feel kinda guilty about not taking a whack at it)...

So should I?? Oh it would send JMNs up the wall that I butchered such a sought after kit!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Archibald

Hmmm another turboprop Skyraider... and, like the Skyshark, a rather complicated engine mount.
Seems that, at Spad time, good 'ol piston-engines were more reliable than early-turboprops. These only become viable at Skyhawk time, after 1955... too late for the A-1...

The Vultur was something of a machine!  :wub:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

QuoteThis Douglas project reminds me of the Breguet Br.960 Vultur:
Very close too to the early designs of the Gannet, it had originally had a slimmer, longer fuselage & a straight wing, put the later cockpit on & the two are very similar:

Scanned from British Secret Projects: Jet Bombers Since 1949
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

Yeah, the Gannet and AlizĂ©e (Vultur grandson) were very, very, very similar...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

kitnut617

Cheers, Jon
Oh-me-god!! contra-props  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

kitnut617

QuoteThis Douglas project reminds me of the Breguet Br.960 Vultur:
Very close too to the early designs of the Gannet, it had originally had a slimmer, longer fuselage & a straight wing, put the later cockpit on & the two are very similar:

Scanned from British Secret Projects: Jet Bombers Since 1949
even more contra-props ---- s'cuse me a mo I've got to do something !!!!!!!

Mossie

Quoteeven more contra-props ---- s'cuse me a mo I've got to do something !!!!!!!
What-you-doin.....?????   :huh: :unsure:  :wacko:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quoteeven more contra-props ---- s'cuse me a mo I've got to do something !!!!!!!
What-you-doin.....?????   :huh: :unsure:  :wacko:
well there's a good job no nuns are around -- wink, wink   :lol:

I just love contra-props   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Mossie

Thought that was what you were up to.... dirty bugger!!!! :blink:  ;)  :lol:  

GTX

Quotewink, wink

Not for long - you'll go blind!!!

Anyway, I'm always willing to feed a fetish, so here you go:

And if you go here you will find a video of some in action.  Enjoy!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!