Modern Skyraider ?

Started by Archibald, May 09, 2007, 10:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I've drooled all over my keyboard,    :lol:  :rolleyes:

nice bunch of photos there Greg!  The photo of the Un-ducted Fan is really interesting, while I was still a current member of the Aircraft Engine Historical Society they had an article on it and a link to the *patient number for the design.  I found the *patient and printed it off, it makes some really good reading.

Robert
*editted:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Archibald

aaaargh, got four T-56 and their props, shall I put contraprops on my Spad ? I'm really tempted to do it now...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Lord Darth Beavis

Quotewink, wink

Not for long - you'll go blind!!!

Anyway, I'm always willing to feed a fetish, so here you go:

Regards,

Greg
Pray tell, Greg, what is this beauty?  I do not ever recall seeing such a beautiful machine before...

Anybody needs me, I'll be in the loo taking a COLD shower! :lol:  
3 Time National Champions: 1958, 2003, 2007

2 BCS Championships: 2003, 2007

How many BCS trophies in your trophy room, USC?

Geaux Tigers!

Maverick

Looks like an early model Wyvern TF.1

Archibald

It is - one of these eagle-powered machines of 1946, which never flew!!!  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

kitnut617

Quotewink, wink

Not for long - you'll go blind!!!

Anyway, I'm always willing to feed a fetish, so here you go:

Regards,

Greg
Pray tell, Greg, what is this beauty?  I do not ever recall seeing such a beautiful machine before...

Anybody needs me, I'll be in the loo taking a COLD shower! :lol:
see here:

http://users.skynet.be/Emmanuel.Gustin/his...ory/wyvern.html

jcf

QuoteIt is - one of these eagle-powered machines of 1946, which never flew!!!
Where did you get that idea, Archie?

Jon

MAD

What would have been wrong with a de-rated Rolls Royce 'Dart' turboprop engine used by the Skyshark, Tradewind etc.....(except for the fact that it was not American! - but saying this so many engines used by some of America's most successful Post WWII era aircraft, were license built variants of British origin)

This would have been so much simpler and effective

Would anyone be willing to have a crack at a RR Dart/Skyshark model ?????

M.A.D

Archibald

Jon
Here!

http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=Westla...rn%20TF1&u=type

kitnut617

Jon
Here!

http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=Westla...rn%20TF1&u=type
I've a book which is called Westland Aircraft-since 1920 (or something like that) which has a lot of narration by Harold Penrose (Westland's Chief Test Pilot for many years)  which IIRC, says there was nine of these Eagle engined Wyverns built before they switched to the turbo-prop version.  I think some of the nine never were flown but some of the first ones were.  There's even a photo showing one piled into a house (which killed the pilot and occupants of the house) after an engine malfunction.  I think the Yeovilton one is one of those which wasn't flown (I think I've read that somewhwere - maybe when I visited the museum when I was in the UK a few years ago)

Ironically, this is the only surviving Wyvern.

Archibald

Le Fana de l'aviation, June 2001 mentionned this peculiar Wyvern on its article ;)

GTX

Quoteone of these eagle-powered machines of 1946, which never flew!!!

The RR Eagle powered TF.MK1 certainly did fly - the first flight was 16 Dec 1946 to be exact.  I even have a photo of one airborne.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Lord Darth Beavis

Thanks, Greg.  The Eagle is what threw me.  All the Wyvern pics I've seen were of the turboprop variant.
3 Time National Champions: 1958, 2003, 2007

2 BCS Championships: 2003, 2007

How many BCS trophies in your trophy room, USC?

Geaux Tigers!

Archibald

Quoteone of these eagle-powered machines of 1946, which never flew!!!

The RR Eagle powered TF.MK1 certainly did fly - the first flight was 16 Dec 1946 to be exact.  I even have a photo of one airborne.

Regards,

Greg
Yeah, but I meant the aircraft of the FAA museum This one aparently never flew (only three or four eagle-powered machines flew ;) )  

Archibald

The T-56 Skyraider saga keep on. I've build the first one, and after reading again this thread i think I've obtained a result a bit similar to the D-557C presented at page 3. Someone also suggested a nose wheel... well done, mine has now a nose wheel.
I'll probably build another T-56 Spad, this time (maybe) on floats, with USN livery. SAR aircraft in Vietnam to pick up Cunningham and Driscoll on 10th May 1972 (after the close encounter with a SAM).