U2? Me Too....

Started by Jetfixer, May 13, 2007, 08:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetfixer

well, i got me an Airfix U2 to do a NASA one and then someone told me the later boxing has NASA decals in. so i did the easy way out thing and got me a later boxing, this left me with a surplus U2. getting my head round a few ideas i thought of doing silly things like extending the wings and tail to make it a VERY high altitude bird. ir doing a high altitude bomber version with twin hardpoints under the fuselage and a couple of guided bombs but then i saw a piccie of a rather nice looking Canberra PR9..... rusty cogs start to turn..... YES, an RAF U2 in hemp and light aircraft gray. so thats what i am on with, its going to be a 2 seater and will have bigger wing tanks than standard. and maybe a modified nose, don't know yet but i will keep you guys informed. btw, am calling it a Lockheed/BAE Albatross PR1. silly name or not?.

all the best.

Greg  :dum:
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

B777LR

Well, another idea, caused by the title:

Messershmit (how do you spell this?) Me-2!

High altitude reconasaince jet plane. Can be armed with 4 radio-guided bombs  :wub:

Archibald

U-2 rocks (what a joke  :rolleyes: ) ! I like your idea! Beautiful day!  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Shasper

Hey Greg, try moving those tanks out a little bit & add a set of retractible outriggers.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Jetfixer

Cool idea, i'll have a think on that one. I have decided to leave the wing tanks as is though but the retractable outriggers sounds good. . the fuselage is built with only some finishing to do then its on with the wings. there have been a couple of mods to the fuselage and piccies are being taken after typing this and will be posted tomorrow

bestest.

Greg

Shasper

Cool deal, reason I suggested moving the tanks outboard a tad was so you could scab-on the outrigger housings onto the tanks, instead of having to scratch something completely new.

Anywho, should still be a great project!

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Jetfixer

Cheers Shas, i hadn't thought about doing anything with the outriggers till you mentioned it. now i'm thinking of something like the units on the Harrier and placing then at the flap/aileron join. cheers for planting the idea mate. much apreciated. I have also decided it needs a fuselage spine like that on the U2CT trainer. the thicker sprues are just the right size and section for this too  :D  .

Greg

Jetfixer

Thought i would share a piccie of progress as of last night. more to follow.

all the best.

Greg

Jetfixer

Latest pic, spine added.

all the best.

Greg

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Mossie

Good progress Greg, looking forward to it!

Nice post Joe, that pic of the recce Hunter reminded me that once you strip the U-2 to it's fuselage, it's quite convential looking (the early variants at least).  Wasn't there a long wing very high altitude version of the Canberra proposed as well, something like an RB-57?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Jetfixer

Cool link Joe, have seen the PR Hunter done at a few shows, very impressive it is too. Moz, the U2 fuselage sort of reminds me of the F104. I'm sure a bit of cross kitting could go on with these two types. tonight i am mostly workin on the wings, after attaching the tailplanes.

bestest.

Greg

Jetfixer

well, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that. the outriggers have been finalised, going along with Shaspers suggestion though i have left the tanks as is and have added the doors for the outriggers to them. also i have drilled through the fuselage at the wing attachment point and wings and put in a brass rod spar for strength, wings are now attached and its filler time. I have decided to resurect 79sqn in its old PR role. so its these markings that will adorn it.

Greg

Brian da Basher

Nice work, Gregers! I really like the brass rod....good idea on a bird with a long wingspan. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Brian da Basher

elmayerle

QuoteMoz, the U2 fuselage sort of reminds me of the F104.
As well it ought to since the original design proposal used the basic F-104 fuselage as a starting point.

This one's looking good, Gregers.  I'll be looking forward to seeing the final version.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin