Hawker P1121 Just About Finished

Started by van883, May 14, 2007, 02:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

van883

What a difficult kit to make!-I ended up replacing the jet outlet with a combination of parts from other kits-Crusader and Skyray if I remember correctly-better than the metal bucket shaped thing supplied I hope.
I've armed it with 3 Shrikes , a fuselage mounted ECM pod and a pair of Sidewinders on an F104 underfuselage mounting. I will probably add a chaff dispenser like a Phimat to the spare pylon.
One remaining problem: I removed the cockpit masking to find the canopy is mishappen with a one side more bulged than the other. It wasn't really as noticeable before the masking was removed. I think I'll redo it some time.
:(

Comments welcome

Van

P.S The fuselage code is on straight-the area rule makes it look crooked-strange but true.

Howard of Effingham

well done! :cheers: the 219 sqn markings are a good and plausible choice.

i have nearly finished mine and it will be going to the SIG meet at aeroventure as
the first prototype.

difficult? yup, but well worth taking time over.

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

ysi_maniac

Looks wonderful.
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

van883

Thanks for the comments! I really have a love hate relationship with this kit-as its only my second vacform I think I've done ok-except for the canopy over which I am kicking myself! I wonder how this aircraft would have performed compared to an F105 Thud as they are similar in size.

Van

Mossie

Good work Van, & well done on perservering.  I think we all know what it's like to fight a kit!

Could you take pics of it with another contempary aircraft?  The size of it amazed me when I saw a model next to some others, would make a good comparison.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

van883

Here is a size comparison of the P1121 with a Buccaneer and a Jaguar

Van

Mossie

Thanks Van, just shows it's quite chunky for a fighter, but I guess it's comparable to F-105 & F-4.  When I saw it model of it it next to some Harriers & such so it probably over emphasised it's size, but it's still a big guy, if not in the class of the FDIII.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rafael

Admirable performance, Van, specially after all you have told us you have to bear with this build.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

SPINNERS

Really nice and a lovely scheme, one of my faves.

It's got a Beyonce rear end, no?

Brian da Basher

That's a good looking bird there, van! I'm glad you were able to overcome the kit's challenges!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Glenn Gilbertson

Looks good - the hard work was worth it in the end!
:cheers:  

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Mmmmmm, like that, like that a lot !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Archibald

Man's, that's a superb machine (and kit, and execution! :wub: )

Tell me if I'm wrong... Martin-H build a short-run series of P.1121 kits (composed of resins, metals and vacuforms).

Hmm a french machine with a recessed AN-52... (in the tactical role like the Mirage IIIE, or even the strategic role like the Mirage IVA)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

van883

Thanks Archie-its a vac form by Whirlybird with resin and white metal parts included. I think its the old Maintrack kit with extras.

Van

Martin H

It is the old maintrack kit.

nope not me Archie
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.