Main Menu

The 500 Phantom Group Build

Started by Radish, May 14, 2007, 03:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Chaps, I'm taking part in the 500-Phantom Group Build for Telford 2008.

So far planned are naturally some real Phantoms...USN, USMC USAF ANG and some others, like Iranian AF RF-4Es.

But what else?

These are 1/72nd by the way.....most builds are.

I think the USAF ANG had plans to update F-4C/Ds at one time, along the Boeing project idea, so an updated F-4D in ANG greys could look amusing (but it'll be based on a 1/48th kit).

I DO have plans for many F-4S in schemes that they never wore:

some USN/USMC ones that'll really confuse..."did they have those"??
a Pakistan AF F-4S
a RAF F-4S
a South African F-4S
a Rhodesian F-4S
a Saudi F-4S

I have the decals.
Also, the Italeri kit is a sweet build....basically can be built with a smidge of filler on the spine, in around 3 hours flat.

Also on the build list is the lovely Revell 1/72nd RF-4E kit...RAF Hemp/grey scheme.
I shall adopt the Israeli and Iranian philosophy for operating these Phantom RF-4Es as the RAF's Phantom PR.4, by attaching them to normal Phantom units. Hence, I can use 111Sqn markings!! Cool.

Gonna be fun.

And don't forget the Penguin Defence Flight RAF in the Falklands! With Penguin pilots :lol:
Coming soon to an asylum near you :party:  :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

TsrJoe

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f4_27.html

... i kinda like the idea of RAF, recce birds, either as 'RF' noses fitted to 'Spey' Phantoms or 'straight' US. Recce birds transferred to RAF. service

... another one id love to see would be early RN. schemes either overall 'anti flash white' or even standard USN. 'Gull Grey/White'

cheers, Joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

The Rat

QuoteChaps, I'm taking part in the 500-Phantom Group Build for Telford 2008.
If you see Lee walk into the hall with a box of cats...  :P  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GeorgeC

RAF F4C/D?  The Air Ministry looked at a 'vanilla' F4C in about 63/64 as an alternative to the P1154 as a FGR replacement for the Hunter FGA9/FR10 sqns.  The RAF had little interest in the Spey's extra power which the RN needed to meet its deck limitations, and saw the project as a diversion of funds away from a 'good enough' solution.  The 'Spotswood' study included the FGR requirement as well as the TSR, envisaging up to 10 sqns (2 Air Support Command, 4 RAFG, 2 MEAF, 2 FEAF).  The funds would then have gone into TSR2, F4 and an AD aircraft as Lightning replacement in 75, the latter the initial scope of the AFVG.  However, there would have been no Harrier or Jaguar.

So you could pick some of the following as a 'slightly strange' UK Phantoms:

60s/70s - 8, 43 or 208 markings in ME, perhaps flying from Bahrain.  20 and 28 Sqn flying from Changi.  2, 4 and perhaps some of the Canberra sqns from RAFG.
1 and 54 in the UK.

80s - Any of the above in wrap round green/gray as low-level FGR.

90s - Granby Pink, again in the FGR role.

Radish

GOOD MAN!!!

Some great ideas :wub:
Thanks.

Almost finished building the first Italeri F-4S, which'll be USMC real (but others, real DAFT ones are coming!!) :lol:  

Spey_Phantom

sounds like a great idea, i say lets go for this "i love F-4 phantoms GB"
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Radish

Right on, dude.

There's huge potential in J79-powered RAF Phantoms.
Love 'em. :wub:  

Howard of Effingham

chaps! i am taking part in this one too.

fact is a wif RAF F-4 is already on the What If and Phantasy pages of ted bayliss and phil butlers website.  :P

its all my work as they say!  :party:  :cheers:  ^_^

yeah lots of scope for phantom wiffs. 141 sqn RAF F-4 on the bench at the mo'.

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

B777LR

USAF F-4S!

Sweden? (instead of viggens?)

France? Perhaps if they had better relations with the US?

Australia! Yes, they did operate some for a year, but what if they decided to buy F-4 S as well, and operate them today?

New Zealand! If australia had them, why not?

Brazil. Theyve got  carriers ;)  So has Argentina ;)

Radish

That's what I like, boys...think BIG :lol:  

Daryl J.

How about the Hawker-produced variant that paved the way for the Harrier cooperation?   All flying surfaces received Hawker ogival contours.    

Tah dah!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Daryl J.

Mossie

There was the VG variant & at on time the FAA wasn't interested in anything that didn't have a swing wing.  Maybe go with 897 NAS markings, they used a large Tern's head marking on the nose, not quite a Penguin but not too far off!  Only know of a decal sheet in 1/72 though.

Oh, & if your going daft, how about the personal aircraft of the Comic Book Character The Phantom 'The Ghost Who Walks'?  F-4 in Purple with skull markings???

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Why not just build some of Richard's profiles - here or here?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Geoff

The Italian AMI seriously looked at the F-4C but bought the F-104G/S in the end.

Rhino1953

USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com