Main Menu

The 500 Phantom Group Build

Started by Radish, May 14, 2007, 03:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

So far;

2 x F-4S painted grey, need u/c and weathering painting as well as detail painting, then decals REAL ones.
1 x F-4S with conformal tank, in desert colours, awaiting detail painting and decals.
2 x F-4S awaiting a gloss black/gloss white Bunny colours.
1 x Army single-seater...needs paint, probably wraparound grey/dark grey/black.

all built to the above stages.

I need to thoroughly tidy my room, clear space to progress.
I can build these buggars forever, but I need my room!! At the moment I'm inundated with bloody females....wife(good) daughter and grandaughter (OK...but they have a LOT OF STUFF!!! Also I still am a storage facility for younger daughter's stuff....which I'm happy to say is reducing.
I hope (if I'm left alone to get on with it!!) to have my room "back" by the end of the week.
Then.....happy days, FINISHING SOME F*CKING MODELS!!! :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

Working on clearing my room for mass model finishing and as a haven from women, but in the meantime, built another F-4S which'll be a whatif? RAF example.

I'm really looking forward to PAINTING properly with a brush, weathering and decalling.

Not sure yet what finish the F-4S will be, but I really do fancy one heavily laden with funky gear, and I've lots available with all the A-7 hardware around!!

Next "real" F-4 build will probably be a Greek one....I just "lurve" the weathering!! :wub:  

Howard of Effingham

QuoteWorking on clearing my room for mass model finishing and as a haven from women, but in the meantime, built another F-4S which'll be a whatif? RAF example.

no copying mr campion!  :D 85 and 141 sqns, RAF have already been wiffed
on the wiffy site.  :D  
Keeper of George the Cat.

Radish

Nah....we're looking at 2 Sqn, 43 Sqn, 111 Sqn, 92 Sqn, 56 Sqn, 112 Sqn etc :lol:

Variety of finishes too...NOT A SINGLE LIGHT GREY one amongst 'em, although a USMC-type low-viz scheme is highly likely.
Did I mention 16 Sqn, 32 Sqn, 54 Sqn???? :banghead:  :banghead:  

Mossie

Rad, there's a lot of Luftwaffe F-4 experimental schemes on Don Color.  Some of them are different enough to make nice subjects, wether real or whiffed:

Un-named blue disruption pattern over grey

'Milchkuh' (Milk Cow) scheme

'Polizeimuhle' (Police Car) scheme

Un-named scheme with mixture of straight lines, curves & splotches
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

Brilliant, thanks.
That first scheme, the light grey and medium sea blue one.....I did that one a very long time ago, in 1/72nd too......I wonder if it's still upstairs in the loft.

The Germans have had some really great schemes, and by the time weathering, markings and the all-important Sidewinders are added, a great appearance!

Phantoms are a true "man's" aircraft.....much better "well-hung" :lol:

Gonna have to do a "flyer" too....fully loaded.

That Desert scheme with black undersurfaces is a definite.
The USAF operated some in Vietnam with gloss black undersurfaces...definitely another dimension!

I can also "see" one in traditional RAF Bomber command....all black, but with the plan-view upper surfaces in dark earth and green....the demarcation line being wavy too.
Dull red codes?

Let's all build a Phantom, guys...they're quick, easy and fun.
We could dedicate them to Wooksta :lol:  

nev

Quote112 Sqn
Sharkmouth!  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Howard of Effingham

Quote112 Sqn
Sharkmouth!  :wub:
and don't forget the 56 sqn 'toom as was at IAT one year with a sharksmouth either, nev! early 1980's i think and on a modeldecal sheet and in the fujimi FGR2
'toom kit [first issue boxing]

wonder if my P1121 F1 should get one?  :unsure: i have LOTS spare in the decal
stash!
Keeper of George the Cat.

Mossie

Rad, carrying on the 'Milk Cow' scheme from the second pic I posted, how about a Phantom in black & white patches???

Mooooo!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

Choosing schemes from animals is a favourite of mine.

The pilot of the 56 Sqn FGR2 that had the sharkmouth on it took the idea direct from the Microscle sheet of VF-111's F-4B....he was a modeller you see.

My 112 Sqn F-4 will have a different sharkmouth and I haven't chosen the scheme yet either!

elmayerle

QuoteLet's all build a Phantom, guys...they're quick, easy and fun.
We could dedicate them to Wooksta :lol:
Presumably a "crashed and burnt" one?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

dy031101

Recently I heard about a Japanese alternate-universe novel, which IIRC is called "CVN Shinano"...... it's about Japan purchasing a nuclear powered carrier (which I think doesn't make sense since Japanese have a tendency of going ballistic over anything nuclear...... but anyways) from the US and equipping her with navalized F-4EJ and EW/Wild-Weasel F-4S (called EF-4S).

Someone was trying to build a model of the EF-4S (the bottom pic shows the model in progress)......

To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Radish

Belters!!!!
EF-4S.....on the way!!
Japanese Navy (of course) but USMC too.
Wild Weasels.....can do some as I've the Italeri/Bilek kit which as the "G" option and I'm building mine as "E"s with slatted wings.
Cool.
Stunning.

dy031101

QuoteEF-4S.....on the way!!
Japanese Navy (of course) but USMC too.
The author of that link appears to be simply modding F-4S to get the Wild Weasel bird.

Perhaps a line drawing of EF-4D (which I found to be scarce; the In Action book on F-4 doesn't have it, but is there one on Wild Weasel?) would help, but it'd probably be easier to combine the nose and cockpit section of F-4G with the rest of of F-4S......  I've never read the novel and therefore don't know the exact configuration.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Radish

I'm going with the F-4S format....big radome, but with an extra pod for the undernose probe, plus the underwing goodies in the F-4G kit.
Just to make it look different from the standard "long-nosed" G, I'm keeping the short-nosed look.
Also...apart from the Japanese one, I'm thinking USN and USMC and have the schemes/decals already sorted.
The Luftwaffe have some wonderful camouflage patterns which can be adapted.

Whooooooohooooooooooo :party:

Instead of Wild Weasel as a name, should an RAF one be called "Wild Wooksta!" :lol: