Main Menu

The 500 Phantom Group Build

Started by Radish, May 14, 2007, 03:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino1953

One idea I've had, how about a 112 Sqdn (or 25 or 85) Toom with a Bloodhound Missile under it somewhere. The Squadrons were Bloodhound operators, so the toom and the missile could be in the same scheme.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

Radish

What a sensible man you are, Ted.

Need a Bloodhound now....didn't Airfix re-release it a year or so ago? :cheers:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Mossie

Yep, I think the Bloodhound's still part of the catalouge.  Models For Sale has it in stock Rad.
http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/advan...odhound&x=7&y=8
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

elmayerle

QuoteI'm going with the F-4S format....big radome, but with an extra pod for the undernose probe, plus the underwing goodies in the F-4G kit.
Just to make it look different from the standard "long-nosed" G, I'm keeping the short-nosed look.
Also...apart from the Japanese one, I'm thinking USN and USMC and have the schemes/decals already sorted.
The Luftwaffe have some wonderful camouflage patterns which can be adapted.

Instead of Wild Weasel as a name, should an RAF one be called "Wild Wooksta!" :lol:
Start with the undernose pod of a "B" or "C" and enlarge it to take the sensor from the front end of a "G" nose, though you might have to extend the fairing back over the nose landing gear doors, much as the "E" and "G" have their fairing extended.

Personally, since, prior to becoming a gunfighter, the "E" was supposed to be teh USAF equivalent of the "J", I've no problem with combining a standard "E" or "G" nose with the rest of an "S" airframe.  Hmm, that's a suggestion for cross-service feedback, an F-4J/S TSF (much as what we now call the F-4E was originally the F-4E TSF, TSF isgnifying "Tactical Strike Fighter") with a gun nose but USN or USMC markings.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

What I'm thinking of for my EF-4S is extending the nose of the "S" kit by adding a couple of plastic card filler discs behind the seperate nose on the Italeri kit...this'll change the appearance a bit and I can fashion some nice extended proby things from sprue. Aerials, of course, from plastic card as well as some additions on the spine. I like that big bumpy hump seen on F-4G spines.....or is that just connected to the QF-4G programme?

Of course, a nice RAF drone in Red and yellow would be cool?

Also, my longer-nosed EF-4S would look nice in the German Wolkenmaus scheme.

And I've got some US Army decals (courtesy of me scouring my old SAM magazines) for my olive drab AF-4D+. Might do a fully laden one too (the first one is perhaps as displayed at an airshow after the Gulf war 1990) from 1973 in what Ted suggested, gloss olive drab and high viz markings!!

The room is nearly done....just need to clear/tidy my desk and bingo...."sounds" will leap forth from the twin speakers and painting will ensue.
About bloody time as well. :banghead:  

Rhino1953

I've been working things out and there is no way to get 8.5 metres of Bloodhound Missile underneath a Phantom, so.... how about overwing pylons like on a Jag. To make it look right, it will have to be above and instead of the outer pylons, and there will have to be 2 of them.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

Scooterman

QuoteAerials, of course, from plastic card as well as some additions on the spine. I like that big bumpy hump seen on F-4G spines.....or is that just connected to the QF-4G programme?

That's part of the drone conversion Rad.  But hey MFM right? ;)  I won't tell.

Radish

Yes, I was thinking the F-4 would need to be on stilts.....but I have a plan, of course!!
Instead of the Jaguar overwing fitting, why not have one nearer the centreline, like mounted on the fuselage?
One each side so as not to burn the fin off??
Or.....

Why not have one on the fuselage top and get rid of the single fin and have an X-tail Phantom....and I have a spare set of tailplanes too.

Mmmmmmmm :party:

gods, it'd look bloody impressive!!! :dum:

Great idea, Ted. :blink:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  

Radish

Damn that's a great idea.....bloody marvellous.

Two Bloodhounds need ordering :lol:

Can you imagine the weight? Blistering!!
Ye gods, wonderful....... :ph34r:  

Rhino1953

Radish, with the weight problem, I reckon more powerful engines are needed, so..... how about 2 large podded engines strapped to the side of the fuselage, then maybe 4 Bloodhounds?
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

Archibald

QuoteDamn that's a great idea.....bloody marvellous.

Two Bloodhounds need ordering :lol:

Can you imagine the weight? Blistering!!
Ye gods, wonderful....... :ph34r:
Wooooow! A bloodhound armed Phantom ?  :blink:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

too right.

Already ordered, and the F-4 is "in stock" as they say. :lol:  

Radish

Another idea is a "zero-launched" one with very big booster rockets and fuel tanks strapped somewhere, on a ramp....like a Space Shuttle but a Phantom?

Intergalactic Phantom? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Rhino1953

QuoteAnother idea is a "zero-launched" one with very big booster rockets and fuel tanks strapped somewhere, on a ramp....like a Space Shuttle but a Phantom?

Intergalactic Phantom? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yeahh, a ZEL F-4. Cool. Need the launch rail to go with it.
You're as bad as I am Radish.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

elmayerle

QuoteAnother idea is a "zero-launched" one with very big booster rockets and fuel tanks strapped somewhere, on a ramp....like a Space Shuttle but a Phantom?

Intergalactic Phantom? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yeahh, a ZEL F-4. Cool. Need the launch rail to go with it.
You're as bad as I am Radish.
How about one B** F****** booster rocket in place of a centerline tank?  With the correct adjustment of the nozzle, it'd work without as much trouble as two boosters would be (getting the booster thrust line(s) through the combined air vehicle cg was a major concern with ZELL efforts and with other boosted-launch, ground-launched air-breathers such as the Snark which had a fairly detailed procedure for this).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin