Main Menu

The 500 Phantom Group Build

Started by Radish, May 14, 2007, 03:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Hey, just got an idea! I need another Phantom (mine had been changed onto a Blackburn P.141). As the only Phantom left at the shop is a German one, why not a Hartmann flashy livery (or was it Graff ?) ?  :wub:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

Strictly speaking, the black triangled nose decoration was Hartman's, the red ones were Grafs.....so why not green ones, or yellow?
Why not The Black Spades of JG53 resurrected, or a Ghost Squadron would be appropriate.

The Phantom with the BIG BOOSTERS will be in the VTOL display, of course.

But let's remember, guys, I've gotta built real ones too :salute:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

The VTOL Zero-Launch  Phantom is, of course, virtually built....just needs the fiddly bits added...u/c doors (closed of course), stores (full) and aerials.
Scheme.....RAF, of course!!!

After that?
The Bloodhound one naturally.
A VX-30 Bloodhound unit is too obvious amd inappropriate for the Bloodhound missile anyway....so again, a RAF one, but X-tail and lots of scorching on the spine.

Rock n' roll babies :banghead:  

Radish

Buggar, buggar, buggar...

You know what I'm going to have to do?

Create a spreadsheet of F-4 builds....real aircraft and whatifs.

This is terribly organised, I know, and smacks of the John Howling Mouse organisational flair, but it's really the only way I can believe I can keep track.

I've already got a Phantoms Only spares box....lots of bombs, etc., and the same goes for a growing box of decals....everything from kit/commercial F-4/what'll go on whatifs....and the whole thing is taking off with a BIG WHOOOOOOOSH :lol:

I must admit.....I've not enjoyed modelling as much for a long time.
Fun....a combination of reality and imagination.

And in 1/72nd....manageable.

Received 4 more "S" kits today and there's 2 more E/G kits coming. :thumbsup:  

Radish

Got the 2 x 1/72nd "E/G" kits  :wub:

Oh, and the Bloodhound :wub: arrived :wub: , together with the simply HUGE 1/144th Shuttle....Revell with lovely boosters/fuel tank and base!! Oh joy!!
In fact, I can add the RAF figures and Land Rover (Bloodhound kit) to the base.
Gods, this VTOL RAF Phantom is going to look bloody impressive.

The Phantom (almost built now) of 19 Sqn based in Germany (hence the VTOL option) will be interestingly coloured, as will the boosters and fuel tank...after all, it'll be hidden in trees! :lol:

I must mention my suppliers.....Models For Sale....great website in as much as they tell you exactly how many models are in stock, they offer discounts to regular customers AND supply quickly...in the case of the Blood Hound and shuttle kits, by return of post. Fantastic service!! Well packed too. :bow:  

Archibald

QuoteStrictly speaking, the black triangled nose decoration was Hartman's, the red ones were Grafs.....so why not green ones, or yellow?
Why not The Black Spades of JG53 resurrected, or a Ghost Squadron would be appropriate.

The Phantom with the BIG BOOSTERS will be in the VTOL display, of course.

But let's remember, guys, I've gotta built real ones too :salute:
Thanks for the tip, and cool idea! Well, could also make alternate black and red triangles, this would be Erich Graffmann aircraft...   :wacko:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

Remember that Graf lived in East Germany and Hartmann was in the West German AF....they had widely differing political views.

Done the "big list"....actually cut it down somewhat to around 45 models over 2 years.
Sounds a lot, but Ted "Rhino" Bayliss knocks Hasegawa 1/72nd kits after 3 days...see his builds on IPMS(UK)Forum....and I'm starting Number 9 today. I've also scheduled the build to last another 15 months so bags of time to finish other stuff too, including lots of A-7s, Kfirs, Mirages, etc..

But at the moment, concentrating on the EF-4S of the JASDF :lol:  

Radish

Well the VTOL one is sprayed up in Black Primer ready for its dark Forest Camouflage.
The camo will, of course, be on the boosters and big bostin' fuel tank. I'm starting that Monday, as tomorrow it's the joys of Rocky Horror and Sunday is returning home and a rest before headbanging at the pub.
Lots of North German colours.

Squadron....19 or 92 of course.
:wub:  

Radish

I've had a bit of time, and been able to rub down the filler, seams etc., on the F-4E build that'll be Greek one in Aegean Blue camo (REAL), and also added a section to the EF-4S -Kai nose (and the nose too) so that just needs overnight drying, then some filler.
U/C on both these on Monday, along with the other twiddly bits.

The EF-4S-Kai (hence the extended nose) will be suitable for carrier operations in a multi-blue/grey colour scheme with nice Japanese markings. :wub:  

Radish

Rubbed down the nose on the EF-4S....it's a killer!!

Looking at the profile, it reminds me of the RF-4X with that big camera nose....

which leads me towards building another AS a photo one:

RAF?
Chinese? for photographing the mainland?
Chile? For photographing Argentina?

One of the above, or all three? :lol:

The F-4E has also had a good rub down, and the tiddly bits will be done tomorrow too, along with painting some F-4s models. :wub:  

Brian da Basher

Any chance we might see some pics, Radish? I'd love to see how your fleet of Phantoms turned out.

Brian da Basher

anthonyp

Good grief!!  Reading this thread, and realizing Radish is apparently going to build 500 Phantoms on his own, it's like a thread about my own insanity  :wacko:  

I agree with Brian...  the peanut gallery demands pics!

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

elmayerle

QuoteRubbed down the nose on the EF-4S....it's a killer!!

Looking at the profile, it reminds me of the RF-4X with that big camera nose....

which leads me towards building another AS a photo one:

RAF?
Chinese? for photographing the mainland?
Chile? For photographing Argentina?

One of the above, or all three? :lol:

The F-4E has also had a good rub down, and the tiddly bits will be done tomorrow too, along with painting some F-4s models. :wub:
Chinese to replace their RF-100As.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

Chinese would be good.

No Anthony, I'm not building 500 Phantoms (am I???)....just seems like it to my wife!
The 2008 Display is called "500 Phantoms" and I'm just contributing.
The idea is to have a Phantom for every 10 produced, a sort of "scale representation". Also, although the SIG under the guidance of Ted"Rhino" Bayliss is happy to display whatiffery, and by his contributions on here encourages the fun, the "500 Phantoms" display is for real ones.
That's why the majority of my builds are real, but lots, oh lots, aren't!! :wub:  

Geoff

Chinese as in PLAAF to help defend against "The Evil Empire" in the late 80s'? Well they wanted Mirage 2Ks harriers and Varks/Tonkas (and they did promise not to use them on us as well :banghead: ) so why not throw in some Rhinos??????