Main Menu

The 500 Phantom Group Build

Started by Radish, May 14, 2007, 03:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Just a couple thoughts - Spey-powered Phantom with the F-4E/F gun nose, this design later used as the basis for the RAF's first dedicated Wild Weasel aircraft?

I know it's been done, but a USMC gun-nosed Phantom?

The originally proposed F-4EJKai design with a wing aerodynamically derived from that of the F-15 (take a look, span from root to tip is near spot-on the same for both and the root chord is, too), esp. if combined with single-piece windscreen.  Then take that combo one step farther with PW1120s.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

QuoteThere was the VG variant & at on time the FAA wasn't interested in anything that didn't have a swing wing.  Maybe go with 897 NAS markings, they used a large Tern's head marking on the nose, not quite a Penguin but not too far off!  Only know of a decal sheet in 1/72 though.

Oh, & if your going daft, how about the personal aircraft of the Comic Book Character The Phantom 'The Ghost Who Walks'?  F-4 in Purple with skull markings???

I've seen at least one Phantom comic book with those markings on a Harrier (makes a lot more sense given  his AO).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

Hey, we're cooking on gas.

I've got Richard's ideas firmly in mind. I know that he'd thought "British Phantoms" but hellfire, colours are colours, eh?
And Glanini's Phantoms surely figure.....Italian, anyway.

Italian...surely....lots of F-104 decals around.
And there's a lot of options in NATO....

Belgian
Dutch
Danish
Norwegian

a FREE Poland?

Portugal?

And Rhino....the Imperial Roman Phantoms were operated in Natural Metal and known as "Imperator".
A Roman one? gorra be....especially with the bright markings the Romans used on heavily weathered natural metal airframes.

1/72nd Phantoms can be very quickly built and then it's just a matter ofhow quickly you want to paint. I must admit, having gone to the trouble of building the buggar, I'd prefer to luxuriate in a decent paint/decal/weathering job. I find actually doing this takes twice as long (at least) as building the thing.
But that means, with a bit of effort, creative timing, etc., I can finish a 1/72nd beast in a week and probably build a couple of others ready for painting too.
The F-4S I've got on the go will be a real one, low-viz greys, USN, but the next build (starting tomorrow) will be a Revell 1/72nd RF-4E in RAF colours :wub:

I'm concious of the fact that the 500 Phantom build is really aimed at REAL stuff, and so I'll respect the idea behind that....but slip in some fun builds too.
I could well end up with LOTS of fun builds in 1/72nd anyway, but hey, so what. ..they can go on other tables  :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Daryl J.

RNoAF--->  Very light grey with a Norske flag on the tail?   Streamlined of course.

These phantom Phantoms sound rather entertaining!

Daryl J., 50% Norwegian by blood........uffda

Radish

Would a Viking Phantom have oars?? Silly idea.

I'm making a list.
Gods know how many I'll build, but really I want a real one for every what if Phantom. Building the what if ones isn't a problem...lots of variety with airframe and decals, but the real ones are more problematical.
I'm building 3 x "S" models (Italeri kits with Hasegawa decals) and another couple of Italeri "S" kits using Aeromaster/Superscale decals.
Then 5 x "S" models in what if schemes.....that'll be real fun!
The Hasegawa "S" will be built as a "J" as I've some really nice Superscale decals for that.
A Revell RF-4E will be Iranian, while another will be RAF.

Plans include getting hold of more Phantom models. I've got the above, but I need more!
And real decals.
I've a couple of really nice RF-4C schemes to build in USAF colours....all SEAsia schemes, and hope to counterbalance with a couple of other RF models in what if colours, but if it's easier, I'll put photo pods on what if F-4S kits :lol:

This'll be fun, and I'm HAVING fun.
Way to go.
Expect squadrons of F-4s whenever I'm about :lol:  

Radish

Thanks Geoff.
The Spanish RF-4Cs are a favourite of mine....lovely weathering, great schemes and that Israeli-designed inflight refuelling probe. Got some Hi-decals for those and some Iranian ones too.

Thinking of RF-4Es in different schemes now...obviously RAF, Pakistan, Saudi (an all gloss black one), etc..
the USMC could have some too as RF-4Js :D  :ar:

Huge possibilities here....lorra, lorra fun!! :lol:  :party:  :party:  :party:  

Rhino1953

the USMC could have some too as RF-4Js
Radish
The last 10 USMC RF-4B's were effectively RF-4J's, with the late engines, fat wings, and the last 3 even had the later rounded nose profile.
Now an RF-4S with slatted wing, that would be cool (the only slatted wing RF being the famous 62-12200 when she did the slat trials for the F-15 program)
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

Radish

An RF-4S would be nice wouldn't it. :wub:

Got some more kits in the post today, but strangely, by orientation is towards REAL ones at the moment. No doubt this lunacy will pass and I'll resume full scale honest whatiffery before long.
Phantom PR4 in Desert Pink any one? :lol:  

Radish

Huge possibilities with the absolutely BEAUTIFUL Revell RF-4E....it just clicks together. Not as quick a build as the Italeri F-4S but much finer detail, a huge quantum leap in quality too, even the ejection seats are terrific.

I can see mega Photo-builds, I really can.

Hannants have sold out of Italeri "S" kits (all my fault, sorry!!) and lots more on order.
Just built the entire body/wings of an F-4S.
1 hour.
I'll slap a sliver of filler on the fuselage top, front half and leave it to set/congeal tonight. Tomorrow morning I'm off to Cambridge for Rocky Horror, but no doubt will have some time to sand things a bit, ready for the u/c on Sunday :lol:  or more likely Monday. :rolleyes:  

Radish

Just "added up" and I've 22 Phantoms either in the stash or on order. More to be sent for too....I need F-4Ds but if I can't get 'em, then the Italeri F-4S will be equipping Italy, etc.. :lol:

REALLY looking forward to painting and decalling these :party:  

Rhino1953

Radish, you're a beginner, I have just counted my 1/72nd stash, and I have 148 to start, with B's, C/D's B/N's N's E's (short of those) F's, 1 G, S's, J/S's, 1 RF-4B, RF-4C's, and RF-4E's, all Hasegawa, plus 10 or so Fujimi FG.1 and FGR.2's.
Already built over 100, with 14 on the go, including a 56 Sqdn what if with a F-4E nose and slatted wings
I have a spot reserved in the loony bin, although working for BAE is considered the same.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

Archibald

French navy instead of Crusader (the Spey variant variant only, no way of fitting a J-79 Phantom into the foch).

Armée de l'air as an interim type to replace Mirage IV (before G8, ACF or 4000 enter service). AN-52 (or even ASMP!) on the centerline.

CEV (flight test center). They used Vautours and Canberras  until the 80's because these big twin engine machines had a lot of internal space... just like a Phantom!
Phantom in high-viz french markings with lots of bumps and antennas, Mirage noses, R-530 / super 530 AAMs...

I'll check some CEV Canberras / Vautour pics ("the Super Mystere collection" website has some superb pics)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

Geoff, true, the F-4 airframe's tightly packed.
That's why some of my updated thingies will have bulges all over the place...like MiG technology!!

I haven't got a "gun" F-4 yet, but I'll follow the USMC course with that....

Got others to build first, but for now the delights of Rocky Horror call.
Off to Cambridge in a bit :party:  

nev

Brazil wanted F-4E's but got F-5s instead
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Archibald

QuoteArchi, I don't know how true it is; but the blokes I have spoken to who have worked on the F-4 say there is only tiny amounts of internal space, a real maintanence nightmare.
Mind you lots of options if you can use a pod?
But there would be much more internal space if you get ride of the weapon system and some others things  ;)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.