Main Menu

The 500 Phantom Group Build

Started by Radish, May 14, 2007, 03:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

hmm, i was thinking about a FAA RF-4E could i update her by having a modern
catapult hookup rather than a bridle/strop launch, and say fit the nosewheel leg
from a F-18 or F-14 kit?  :unsure:  :D

over to you guys.

HoE
Keeper of George the Cat.

Radish

I'd "go" for extending the nose on an "S" and then make the big radome into one of those revolving camera noses used by the Israelis.
Certainly adds a new dimension to the term, "going for a spin" :lol:

Sky/Grey?
Standard colours?....BORING!!!
Light grey?
USN colours?? :ar:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Howard of Effingham

:wub: :huh:  i'll take that rad' as a yes i can then.   ;) :D  
Keeper of George the Cat.

anthonyp

QuoteChinese would be good.

No Anthony, I'm not building 500 Phantoms (am I???)....just seems like it to my wife!
The 2008 Display is called "500 Phantoms" and I'm just contributing.
The idea is to have a Phantom for every 10 produced, a sort of "scale representation". Also, although the SIG under the guidance of Ted"Rhino" Bayliss is happy to display whatiffery, and by his contributions on here encourages the fun, the "500 Phantoms" display is for real ones.
That's why the majority of my builds are real, but lots, oh lots, aren't!! :wub:
Yeah, I gathered that from the early descriptions in the thread, you just seem to be doing a fair amount of the GB yourself  :lol:

Looking forward to seeing pics!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Archibald

I've bought Revell F-4F (not the wildcat!) this afternoon. No German markings on it, rather french one (how surprising...). Not AdA, not Aeronavale, rather CEV. WTF is CEV ? the Centre d'Essais en Vol,, Flight Test Center if you prefer.

They had Vautours bombers, on which they grafted Mirage noses, radars, AAMs and others goodies.  Some cool NMF finnish plus High-viz markings  :wub:  

AND according to an article I've found somewhere in the web, when the Vautour reached the end of their useful lives in the late 70's, the CEV wanted some second-hand Phantoms to replace them...

Even better, I still have some Atar-9 exhausts left by a Mirage IV... I think the Aussies thought about an Atar-powered Phantom in the 60's...
Just like the Mirage IIIO (first prototype) which had an Avon turbojets, because Aussies F-86s already had it...  

In fact it could be an Aussie Phantom having Atars and build by a public firm, then australia bought stock Phantoms, the lone Atar Phantom was transfered to the CEV were it proved very useful until today... aye, too much cafein today!

Tons of ideas  :wub:
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

Found again the article. Cool website named "des hommes et des ailes" (men and wings).
Their text come from old Air&Cosmos of the late 70's
http://pdennez.free.fr/AVIONS/html/av425.html

According to this paragraph

QuoteLe problème du remplacement des «Vautour» d'essais se pose aujourd'hui au C.E.V., et la solution pourrait être fournie par l'acquisition de quelques « Phantom » .

"The CEV has to to replace its Vautour testbeds, and the solution could be buying some Phantoms "  :tornado:

pics of CEV Vautour testbeds (from airliners.net)

:cheers:  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

5 more 1/72nd Italeri F-4S appeared today :lol:
All to be whiffed too.

I love the French idea....they had pretty cool Meteors too.

Phishnet Phantom....I like it!! :lol:  :lol:  

Mossie

Or, talking about 'Phisnet', you could use that to do a snakeskin pattern.  Spray a dark colour onto your model , then cover in a fine fishnet stocking or nylon tulle.  Spray your base colour & you have a snakesin pattern, or even a fishnet stocking pattern for another Rocky Horror build!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

You've obviously thought this really in detail, Mossie!!!

Meanwhile, added the u/c to an E and an ES-Kai....both now ready for grey primer.

The E to be Aegean Blue camo Greek...

the ES-Kai to be Japanese of course!!

Mossie

I'd often wondered how to do a snakeskin pattern without taking forever painting each scale, thinking it just wasn't possible.  Then I saw one of these American Chopper programs on Discovery, the painter wanted a snakeskin effect & simply slipped a fishnet stocking over the tank.  Went on easily & conformed beautifully.  I'd thought about stockings a lot in the past, but never for painting..... :D

I've thought of a lot of modelling uses for tulle & fabric over the years, although I've never actually used one!  The reason is I used to work for a company that made medical dressings & we used to be up to our armpits in textiles.  I'd see all sorts of weave patterns & sizes that might come in handy.  Some ideas:

Figure painting, produce a fabric effect by dabbing the areas with a piece of scrunched up tulle onto the paint while it's partially dry.
Armour, reproduce grilles by starching fabric or spraying with hair lacquer (don't know how the latter would take paint, should be okay though), or maybe varnish or cellulose dope depending on the fabric.  You could do the same with grip patterned floors, steps, etc.
Digital camo, cut out & mask the shape you want (you could use liquid masks for this), stick the tulle to the model with a light coating of prit-stick or similar & paint away. Repeat for extra colours.
Dioramas, for fencing, chickenwire & such.  You can also add it to plaster, latex etc for extra strength or texture when moddelling scenery.

I've probably thought of others over the year but forgotten them since!  There's all sorts of patterns & sizes out there that could be useful, have a look in craft & textile shops, see what you can find.  I'll pop this in the hints & tips section.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

Found two Atar 9 exhausts, got some spare Super-530 AAM (left by the Mirage 2000 changed into a GD 200)  :party:
I've already imagined the backstory...  

Radish

Good man.
I've a stack of whatiffery that's new, including F-4s in various schemes/configurations, that will appear at the SIG display at Doncaster on the 12th August, as well as being available for the 19th at AVON, where the F-4SIG will get there's too. :party:  

elmayerle

Radish, this is probably a silly question, but have you considered doing a Phantom with the radar and gun nose of a F-18, the cockpit displays of the same, and the F-19's engines?  'Twould still be a St. Louis product, but something of an intermediate step.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

GTX

QuoteI think the Aussies thought about an Atar-powered Phantom in the 60's...
Just like the Mirage IIIO (first prototype) which had an Avon turbojets, because Aussies F-86s already had it...

Hmm - an Australian ATAR Phantom - first I've heard about that one.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!