Main Menu

The 500 Phantom Group Build

Started by Radish, May 14, 2007, 03:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino1953

QuoteOkay, if you can find a conversion for the original "low canopy" F-4A
There is a Falcon triple set conversion available from Hannants, with the F-A, HC-130 variants, and the 2 seat A-10.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

NARSES2

QuoteSo 500 Phantom build - can you do the origional McD Phantom ? Or does it have to be the II ?

Chris
Sorry, it's specifically the F-4, as that is the anniversary we're celebrating, although we had discussed the original Phantom within the SIG and decided against it.
Ted
Thanks Mr Rhino - afraid the II is a little "late" in my period of interest, but I may still get my I out of the stash anyway.

Good luck with the build and do you know what you've let yourself in for with Rad ?  :dum:  :lol:

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rhino1953

Unfortunately,I do, we have encountered each other previously. Just out of curiousity Radish, I was going to a model show not too long ago, and there was a guy in a lay by dressed in stockings suspenders and knickers, and not a lot more, not a pretty sight, that wasn't you was it? If so, the Rocky Horror show has a lot to live down :lol:  :lol:

PS my friends call me Rhino, don't worry about the polite salutation.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

Radish

Wassn't me in the lay-by I can assure you, although I do dress wherever we stay and drive to the venue.
The longest drive we've ever done in full gear/make-up was from home (South Derbyshire) to Cambridge.....around 2 hours....on a Saturday afternoon in the summer.
And "yes", we have stopped at filling stations to fill up with fuel in full gear, and "Yes", I have stopped at a service station to use the loo. (I did use the gents, although at the theatres, it's usual to encounter both men and women in the gents, in fact, "anything" seems to be acceptable! ;)

For the latest Radish photos at Rocky Horror, go to:

http://www.timewarp.org.uk/lab/cambridge07/15.htm

I'm on the right with the purple basque and Norman is the other guy. He's a security guard B)
There's others of me at the same venue too.

Stoke on Trent this coming Friday and Saturday nights!! :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

Oh, by the way, another Italeri "S" started (ie built) last night. Just needs a bit of rubbing down and the u/c and twiddly bits adding later today.
The 1/48th Pakistami F-4D+ is back on the boiler too, and is at a stage when the weathering will begin.
Weathering = washes, repainting, drybrushing, crayon (greys, browns) and a bit of silver chipping.
Plans for my next 1/48th F-4 include:

Italeri (ESCI) F-4E...modified to a single-seat F-4F West German AF
Italeri (ESCI) F-4J....modified to an ANG F-4D+ with an R2 (as in Star Wars R2D2) unit in the rear cockpit.
Revell (Hasegawa) FGR2 in USN colours to operate from smaller carriers.

But I've lots of 1/72nd ones to build first.
I'm going through ALL my Italeri 1/72nd F-4S first (production line techniques) and they'll all (for the moment) be USN or USMC....but not necessarily in the right markings, but they could be. It'll be a case of "confusion" for everyone :lol:

And the Zwilling F-4 is a strong possibility, depending on the availability of kits. Next model show I'll scour around.

I quite fancy an F-4x4 (ie a "quad" F-4) for  banning from Town Centres :lol:  :lol:

Fun, innit.

Got lots of decals, lots of options, and poor Rhino will receive some for his display at the Avon Show in August. :party:  

Radish

Just for "a bit of a change", I'm investigating the possibility of adding the underfuselage conformal fuel tank to my current "S" build. It'll still be USMC, but it'll look a bit different to the usual "S"s :lol:

I've accumulated a substantial number of decal options for the USN and USMC so finding a unit shouldn't be difficult and we all love GREY don't we :lol:  :lol:

Looking through my stash of preformed vac-bits (ie packaging) that will be useful.

With a very full load, this modified F-4S will be one heavy beast!! :party:  

Radish

Of course, Italeri 1/48th F-4E will be Italian, not German.

Also, let's remember I have a 1/48th Monogram F-4J modified to represent an Orkenwaffe Ork "Wraith" :lol:  

Daryl J.

Radish,

You inspired me to order a Phantom in for a Whiffery!   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

HLJ dot com is accepting pre-orders for the Hasegawa F-4S at a very reasonable price.   The plan:   Hawker built the Phantom locally and did some Anglicising of the airframe.    It'll get a Hawker family look to the entire tailplane and main wings along with a few British Bumps for antennae.   It may get some Harrier GR.5 markings in two tone green.

It's slated for a late 2007 or 2008 build.
Daryl J.

Radish

Nice one, dude!!

I think the "S" would have been great in UK service.

Slatted wing FG.1 or FGR2 anyone? :wub:

Got 4x Hasegawa/Revell FGR2s (1/48th) and I'm thinking at least 2 will be F-4L models for the USMC. ;)  

Rhino1953

QuoteSlatted wing FG.1 or FGR2 anyone? :wub:

Got it covered with my Spey E, if I ever complete it.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

Radish

Sounds great, Ted.

Picked up another "S" today....USN or USMC of course ;)  

Radish

I think it was Nev who voiced the idea of a Red Arrows Hawk, in full livery, but used for its alternative interceptor role in the event of a crisis.
Well......what about a Red Arrows F-4, similar concept to that voiced by Nev, in full costume (so to speak) and all dirty and used after a "crisis" as yet to be divised! It'll be a single-seater too :lol:
That's my next F-4 build :party:  

Mossie

I think it was me Rad, the Reds Hawks were covered in the T.1A upgrade for them to be able to use Sidewinders.  I love the idea of a 'dirty' Reds F-4!  With your obsession for dirty birds, I think you've been going to RHS too much!!!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

RHS too much!!
:o

NEVER :P

Off to Sheffield on Tuesday night! B)  

Rhino1953

Still Radish, at least with you going to the Rocky Horror show, we had a nice and quiet show at Tyneside :lol:  :lol:  
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com