Main Menu

The 500 Phantom Group Build

Started by Radish, May 14, 2007, 03:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterman

Why re-invent the wheel guys?  Do what the Blues and Birds did-mount the dye and pumps in dummy Sparrow shapes.

Howard of Effingham

btw, how are you doing the smoke generator? pod mounted on the centerline?
The easiest way is to use a F-15 type centrline pod (more G tolerant, bigger capacity) with internal piping emerging above the nozzles. Even Radish could handle that.
with a 600 gallon capacity, hey! you could have rainbow colored smoke.

radish will probably give this tank a livery all its own.....  :D  :P  :o

yes you could put the smoke generators in a sparrow airframe but an F-15 tank is
much more fun!  :thumbsup:  
Keeper of George the Cat.

Radish

And the Revell RF-4E kit has an Eagle tank too ;)

So lots of options.
The Red Arrows and Sandy one will be at the SIG meet on June 23rd at Doncaster.
I'll bring some more F-4s to work on too.

The Aerofax books have been unearthed...ones on the D, E and RF versions.
There's lots of info I'm re-acquainting myself with as it's years since I read them.

I'm going to build some Phantoms in "flying" mode too....what if? ones anyway, mounted on picture frames so that they can stand vertically or even hang on a wall. I did it with an F-16 a year or so ago and it seemed to work OK, so I'll give it a go. :ph34r:

Tomorrow is painting day (I'm out headbanging again tomorrow night....Meatloaf tribute) but Saturday and Sunday are free....decalling I think.
2 x USMC birds (real) and the sandy and Red Arrows one'll be worked on too.
Decal Monday?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

That gun pod that fits on the rear starboard Sparrow "well" is a cool dude.
Fancy having one either side!!
Hell of a ground attack "ARMY" beast :lol:
A fully loaded "D" would be exceptional, if a little heavy....long runway required?

Meanwhile "E" projects to explore from the Aerofax book are:

E for the Dutch
E for the Malaysian AF
E for Singapore.

I suppose the Royal Yorkshire air Force would have a special "EEEEEE" version. :lol:  Must tell Chris Ayre, he of the RYAF. :party:  

Radish

Versions that lend themselves to building into quite interesting models are concepts devised by McDonnell (according to the previously mentioned Aerofax Minigraph on the F-4E).....

Model 98-DB/ARMY/3-61....based on the early Phanton (F-4C??) dedicated to ground support, no folding wings, no arrestor gear (but a lightweight hook), no Sparrows, but gunpod and a plated over rear canopy....ie, it's a single seater for the US ARMY.
Fancy one with a full weapon load, dark green all over and low-viz markings??

Model 98-GI....an easy one this....F-4E with the dedicated recon pod as used by the RAF FGR2s.

98-JO/USAF/10-28-66....an F-4M (ie Phantom FGR2) with the F-4E Plus nose....the + has FLIR capacity.

98-MX/7-8-69...an F-4E strike reconnaisance aircraft for the Royal Netherlands Air Force :wub:

98-NN/12-28-70...F-4E(modified) for Singapore :wub:

98-NP/12-28-70...F-4E(modified) for Malaysia :wub:

98-NV/2-25-72....F-4 for CANADA :wub:  :wub:

98-NW/4-12-72.....F-4 fighter for German Navy

98-NZ/2-28-72...F-4 Fighter for Taiwan :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

98-PB/USMC/10-10-72....USMC F-4J with an F-4E nose :)

Lots of cool posibilities here, eh?
Also....what's just as important......there's not a lot of specifics, and whatever a project initially looks like, we all know how things develop when in service.
Exciting times ahead. :party:  

Rhino1953

Radish
The US Army one, how about the early Vietnam markings, i.e. semi-gloss green with prominent yellow markings. Now THAT would be cool.
PS, after a certain post on F-4SIG the other day, should I be encouraging you?
Oh why not, after all you're doing some real ones as well.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

Radish

I had no problem with that F4 SIG post, other than that the chap is so highly focussed that he seems to need a humour transplant. His problem not mine.
I knew when I signed up for the "500 Phantom Build" that whatiffery was inappropriate, and I've been checking my decals....around 25 real-builds so far, plus some more decals in transit plus kit options of course.
My sources include the big Phantom book "Spirit in the Skies"(??) as well as several Osprey photo books, Squadron Signal, etc.. Got lots of photos to work from.
The sandy one looks nice....even better with a charcoal disruptive finish and Algerian markings? Can do that one.

I see the blue/grey IIRAF RF-4E on that decal sheet is illustrated on ACIG, so as I've a part-built RF-4E, then that'll be finished next.

Some more F-4s in transit too.

I reckon build 2 real F-4s for every one what if will keep the bounders at bay!

Should I add white diamonds to the spine of that All Blue 92 Sqn FGR2 and say it's from the Blue Diamonds Aerobatic Team?

Rhino1953

QuoteShould I add white diamonds to the spine of that All Blue 92 Sqn FGR2 and say it's from the Blue Diamonds Aerobatic Team?
Now that sounds really cool to me. Is it 1/72nd?
Just about finished my F-4D from Niagra Falls, and I've started painting the F-4D from Lakenheath, which is going to have a Nuke on the centreline. It'll mean extra security at air displays (alright model displays). Does anyone have a couple of hundred fully armed 1/72nd scale US Marines they don't need.
USAF SIG
F-4 Phantom SIG Leader

www.500phantoms.com

nev

QuoteI suppose the Royal Yorkshire air Force would have a special "EEEEEE" version. :lol:
DO IT!!!!  :lol:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

The Rat

QuoteI suppose the Royal Yorkshire air Force would have a special "EEEEEE" version.
Held together 'by gum'.  :P  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

elmayerle

QuoteOn a different tack, how about a single engined toom? Perhaps swap out the two J-79's for a single J-93 - could use a 1/48 scale exhaust nozzle as IIRC the J-93 is just basically a bigger better J79?

Could be an emergency measure after the emergence of the MiG-25?
Hmm, how about adding the upgraded inlets from the G-D RF-4X version, complete with the saddle tanks for the charge cooling water injection.  Redo the back end, keeping the Phantom surfaces, but shaping the fuselage similar to that of the Demon.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

No worries....creativity and imagination is the thing.

Got so many ideas myself.

The Fujimi 1/72nd British Phantoms seem so damned hard to get.
Might have to sort a Matchbox one for the "Blue Diamonds" f-4.....unless they're re-equipped with modifield F-4Ss (yes, the US built 2,500 "S" model Phantoms.....just so I can build plenty....as if!!)
I like the Italeri F-4S as it's so easy to build, I've a lot and more, you can be certain, will find their way to my home.
It looks OK too....mainly because I prefer the big radome on the B/C/D/J/N/S. :wub:
I've some REAL "S" versions to build (at least 8 already) and a growing list of whatiffery. I just hope I can get round to them :lol:  

Howard of Effingham

QuoteNo worries....creativity and imagination is the thing.

Got so many ideas myself.

The Fujimi 1/72nd British Phantoms seem so damned hard to get.
Might have to sort a Matchbox one for the "Blue Diamonds" f-4
rad', i can help you out with a matchbox F4K/M if you can't get one otherwise.

Keeper of George the Cat.

Radish

YES PLEASE, mate!!
A Matchbox dude will fit the bill AND it gives me some extra spares (like the photo pod). :lol:

Can you bring it to Doncaster on the 23rd and we'll "sort something out"?
Cheers.

Sourced some more "S" kits. :wub: