Belgian Light Point-defense Fighter

Started by Brian da Basher, May 14, 2007, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

In 1925 the Locarno treaty eased the restrictions the Treaty of Versailles imposed upon Germany. The small country of Belgium was a signatory of the Locarno Treaty, but this didn't keep them from being a bit nervous about the state of their defenses.

In the mid 1920s Belgium's small air force was in need of an upgrade. A competition was announced for the new fighter and many firms submitted bids. The Belgian government declared a design submitted by Chief Engineer Nils St. Hubert of the small firm of Brussels Aeronautics the winner in 1927. The design was very advanced for its day, boasting a streamlined wooden monocoque fuselage and all-metal, cantilever flying surfaces as well as a pair of the sexiest spats to be seen yet on the continent. The new aircraft was very small yet fast and nimble, being powered by the new Ostend 12 cylinder, liquid cooled inverted V engine. The aircraft was armed with two .50 caliber machine guns which were uniquely placed in pods beneath the wings.

In trials, the little fighter easily out-manoevered all competition and although its range was not the greatest, it could be produced very inexpensively. Orders were placed for the new fighter, designated the F-1, and it entered service in early 1929. The aircraft was universally loved by its pilots and groundcrew who found it fast, responsive and easy to maintain.

The F-1 was the delight of the 1929 Paris airshow, amazing crowds with incredible aerobatic displays. The British press reported on the new Belgian fighter, but noting its small size, dubbed it the "Brussels Sprout" and the moniker stuck. The Brussels Sprout was continually improved upon during its service life, and at the dawn of W.W. II enhanced versions were deployed as light point-defense fighters near key cities, factories and military installations.

The example shown here, #848, was deployed near the fortress of Eban-Emael and was able to devastate the German Ju-52 aircraft carrying paratroops in an attempt to sieze the fortress. Germany's inability to take Eban-Emael stalled their attack and they were forced to seek an armistice in October, 1940 which led to a coup that deposed Herr Hitler and his Nazi minions. Towards the end of his life in exile in San Marino, Hitler was heard to mutter, "Those verdammnt Brussels Sprouts and their spats!!!"

1st of 5 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Some of you might remember the project I started a couple of days ago using cast-off parts from my spares boxes (thread Here). I've always enjoyed the challenge of creating something out of dis-similar parts. This little build was no exception.

2nd of 5 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

This little model is 3 1/2 inches (8.5 cm.) long and the wingspan is 3 inches (7.5 cm.). I scratched a tiny cockpit but very little of it can be seen. I was very careful to make certain a 1/72 scale pilot would be able to fit inside and that was one reason I opted for podded machine guns under the wings as there'd be no room on the engine decking for them. Here's a head-on shot.

3rd of 5 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The entire model was brush painted by hand using acrylics. I used Polly-Scale CDL for the undersides and Model Masters RAF Sky for the cockpit interior. I used Polly Scale Light Olive, Testor's Desert Tan and Model Masters Euro Green for the uppers. Model Masters Steel was used on the tailskid and exhausts and Tamiya Gunmetal was used on the guns. The tires were painted using Mars Black Artists Acrylics. The rudder stripes were also hand-painted using Polly-Scale Insignia Yellow, Mars Black and Napthol Crimson.

4th of 5 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

This little fighter is about the same size as a Nieuport 28 in scale. I kept comparing the size of this build with W.W. I fighters and a 1/72 scale pilot to make sure it wasn't too small. This little project was a blast and it's already inspired me to take on more involved things like my Falklands and Secret Santa GB projects.

Last of 5 pics.

Brian da Basher

Mossie

I'm one of those few who admit to liking sprouts, I guess you'll get a few more today with this gorgeous little build Bri!  It really does look contempary 20's/30's. Guess your out of your slump then! :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Oh yeah, I love it ! Very creative idea, and it sure is a cute little bird !

PS- I love Brussel Sprouts as well !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

I'm standing in a puddle because I'm gushing praise!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Chap

Brian, you've done it again; combining a great little model and a wonderfully lighthearted backstory. Fantastic work yet again!

~Steve

John Howling Mouse

What the----?!  And, just like that, she's fully dressed already?

You're amazing, B da B!

This is a cool little bird.  I'm going to show my daughter what you started with and what you turned it into.

Yeah!   :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

Thanks for the kind words, gents! You encourage my madness to no end.

And yes, the slump is indeed over. I started on my Falklands GB project today and the entire model is built. All I have to do is attach the load-out and paint it.

Vrooooom!

Brian da Basher

BlackOps

Brian, I am always impressed that you can blend completely different shapes and make them work. Another winner!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

B777LR

Spey_Phantom

that airplane really is alot like Belgium.
its small, powerful, efective and cool. excelent work there m8  B)

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PanzerWulff

WAAAAAAY Cool Brian WAAAAAAY Cool B)  B)  B) Great back story as well hmmmm i wonder what spare parts I have floating around ;)
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!