G

F-4 (F4H-1)(F-110) Phantom

Started by Glenn Harper, July 11, 2002, 01:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

If it could be shoehorned into a Harrier, I'm sure you could get it on a Phantom! I think the Phantom fleet would have needed a lot of work if it'd been decided to keep them though - they were pretty well worn out as I understand it, many were close to their fatigue limits. SLEP-ing the whole fleet would be very expensive, and I'd say the money was better spent on Tornado.

If the Tornado programme fell apart though (say the Germans did what they did to Eurofighter) or the Cold War ended a decade earlier, and it might have happened. Downsize the fleet, retiring the worst machines and refitting the better ones. A Blue Vixen variant and AMRAAM capability, Paveways and TIALD pods, swansong over Kosovo?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

I remember someone somewhere posting a picture of all the Century series fighters which included an F-110. As I wish to make a model of the F-110 I would like to get some information from the modeller. I have tried a search or two but with no luck. Can anyone help?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Sauragnmon

Just a little looking around, apparently the F-110 designation was used for the F-4C in USAF service, so take from that what you will...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on January 11, 2013, 02:38:47 PM
I remember someone somewhere posting a picture of all the Century series fighters which included an F-110. As I wish to make a model of the F-110 I would like to get some information from the modeller. I have tried a search or two but with no luck. Can anyone help?

Gondor

There used to be a vacuform conversion kit in 1/72 of that, trying to remember who produced it ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

Gondor

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 11, 2013, 04:09:39 PM
Hasegawa released an F-110 boxing of their Phantom at one point. http://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/previews/has/00618.htm

Trying to get hold of that boxing is like trying to find rocking horse poo and if you do find one you would probably have to pay silly money to get it. The description of how the F-110A came about and then it's demise in the text on that page is a little confusing and Despite my library and trying various searches on the web I still have no idea of what exactly the F-110 was, the B or the C version of what we now know of as the F-4 family.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Geoff

I thought it was the proposed code for the F-4C, could be wrong though.

pyro-manic

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=2320

That says the F-110A was an F-4B (designation at the time was F4H-1) on loan from the USN pending deliveries of the USAF-standard aircraft (which were later designated F-4C). The F-4C didn't fly until May 1963 (after the designations changed in September '62), so the Spectre had to be one of the loaned Navy machines.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2013, 03:54:28 PM

Gondor

There used to be a vacuform conversion kit in 1/72 of that, trying to remember who produced it ---

I think that was Falcon Robert. I had one at one time but traded it to someone on here, quite a while ago now though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2013, 08:15:34 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2013, 03:54:28 PM

Gondor

I think that was Falcon Robert. I had one at one time but traded it to someone on here, quite a while ago now though.

Yes I think it was Kit, I might even have one too ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 12, 2013, 06:25:43 AM
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=2320

That says the F-110A was an F-4B (designation at the time was F4H-1) on loan from the USN pending deliveries of the USAF-standard aircraft (which were later designated F-4C). The F-4C didn't fly until May 1963 (after the designations changed in September '62), so the Spectre had to be one of the loaned Navy machines.

So an F-110A is what became the F-4B (in USAF service) which would make the F-4C probably an F-110B? :blink:

Gondor

pyro-manic

Gondor

Quote from: Gondor on January 12, 2013, 11:40:34 AM

So an F-110A is what became the F-4B (in USAF service) which would make the F-4C probably an F-110B? :blink:

Gondor

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 12, 2013, 12:22:04 PM
Yep.

Great  :thumbsup:

All I need to do now is work out the decals, as I have an F-4B in the stash to be an F-110A, which I should be able to assume are almost exactly the same as the Grey/White F-4C's when they entered service but with different numbers (which is kind of obvious)?

Gondor

Gondor

A related subject to what I was asking earlier is the stabilisers (tailplane's) in the Hasegawa 1/72 Phantom kits. The F-4B/N is provided with the slotted versions that you have to convert back to the non slotted version and I am worried that I will make a real mess of doing this. Does anyone know of a replacement set or is willing to swap a couple of sets of non slotted for slotted version?

Gondor

DarrenP

I wonder if a UK version of the F4E would have been a good Canberra B(I)/Hawker Hunter/ BAC Lightning replacement?

Should the UK F4K/M phantom fleet been updated instead of buying Tornado F3?

could the F4M have been fitted with a greater variety of weapons/systems like maverick/Shrike/Standard/Paveway/ALQ ecm pods?

Could the Phantom FG1 in naval service been fitted with the suu23 pod and the EMI recce Pod and still been carrier capable?