G

F-4 (F4H-1)(F-110) Phantom

Started by Glenn Harper, July 11, 2002, 01:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

what about a stretched nose, similar to the F-4E(S).

rickshaw

Quote from: MAD on September 19, 2010, 04:27:11 AM
Quote from: apophenia on September 18, 2010, 04:01:35 PM
Nice Greg! That canopy is very F4H  :thumbsup:

This may be sacrilege to Phantom-o-philes but the cannon arrangement on the F-4 seems too much the afterthought that it obviously was. An 'empty' back seat provides an obvious space for placing the ammunition drum closer to the c/g if the M61 were moved aft. (I've also moved the radome higher up -- as per the F4H.)

Hell Apophenia, I love your single-seat Phantom II concept as well  :thumbsup:

You make this as hard as having to choose between to beautiful twins  :wacko: (Hell lucky I have never had the opportunity ;D)

I like the idea of the gun relocation, but I think I would stick with the original F-4E arrangement, and utilize the back-seater`s vacated space as a weight saver for improved thrust-to-weight ratio and air-to-air performance!!!

M.A.D

Errr, that actually doesn't save any weight over apophenia's idea of relocating the gun.  If anything it means the gun is kept in the less than satisfactory nose position (as far as weight distribution is concerned).  Putting it under the fuselage, fed from a magazine in the rear seat position, means that the weight of the ammunition is closer to the c-of-g, which means the aircraft would be more manoeuvrable.   All he's proposing is a redistribution of weight, not an increase.  The thrust-to-weight ratio would remain the same and the air-to-air performance actually improved.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

How easily can the gun(s) be made a customer-specified equipment (for example, a pair of DEFA 30mm instead of the M61 if so desired) in apophenia's single-seat Phantom?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

McColm

Boeing F-4 (enchanced)/ super phantom had a raised canopy.

Pablo1965

The Phamtome with variable geometric wings is one of the best ideas over this plane that I ever seen

anthonyp

Quote from: apophenia on September 20, 2010, 05:04:47 PM
In 1976, McDonnell Douglas responds to concerns over the forthcoming Hornet's escalating costs/weight and range limitations with yet another variation on the Phantom. The entire nose section of the F/A-18B is grafted on to the fuselage of the F-4 to lower development costs.

Northrop, MD's erstwhile partner in the F/A-18 program, counters with lawsuits and a fresh proposal of its own. The result would become that most well-known of modern USN carrier fighters, the F/A-17 Sea Cobra series.  ;D

Now, THAT is thing of beauty and demands to be built!!!!!

Great something else I have to think about.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Jeffry Fontaine

I have been wondering for some time what an F-4 Phantom would look like in plan form with the wings of an F-15 added to it.  Now I know.  As you can see in the attached image it is certainly different looking.  I also tried added the wings from an F-18 to the F-4 Phantom but it did not turn out very well so I deleted the file.  This concept certainly has potential if you can manage to mate the F-15 upper wing section with the portion of the lower F-4 wing section that contains the wheel wells it just might work.  The only advantage that the F-18 wing brought to the party was the wing tip mounted missile launch rails. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

Wonder if you could combine the last two ideas, i.e. the F/A-18B forward fuselage and the F-15 wing? Flat F-15 tailplanes would look good too, although you'd have to make the fin even bigger to compensate. You could also complete the update by changing the intakes to F-15-style horizontal ramp types, possibly by scaleorama-ing the intakes off something like a 1/100th F-15 or a 1/144th MiG-25.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on September 19, 2010, 07:09:30 AM
How easily can the gun(s) be made a customer-specified equipment (for example, a pair of DEFA 30mm instead of the M61 if so desired) in apophenia's single-seat Phantom?

How much money are you prepared to spend?  :)

Anything is possible with appropriate funding.  All that is required is some imaginative metal work.  It wouldn't be too hard, put one cannon in each missile well.  Dispersion might be a bit wide, thats all.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

ChernayaAkula

Go for it!  :party: That Hornet/Phantom bash really HAS to be built! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

MAD

Quote from: rickshaw on September 19, 2010, 06:59:56 AM
Quote from: MAD on September 19, 2010, 04:27:11 AM
Quote from: apophenia on September 18, 2010, 04:01:35 PM
Nice Greg! That canopy is very F4H  :thumbsup:

This may be sacrilege to Phantom-o-philes but the cannon arrangement on the F-4 seems too much the afterthought that it obviously was. An 'empty' back seat provides an obvious space for placing the ammunition drum closer to the c/g if the M61 were moved aft. (I've also moved the radome higher up -- as per the F4H.)

Hell Apophenia, I love your single-seat Phantom II concept as well  :thumbsup:

You make this as hard as having to choose between to beautiful twins  :wacko: (Hell lucky I have never had the opportunity ;D)

I like the idea of the gun relocation, but I think I would stick with the original F-4E arrangement, and utilize the back-seater`s vacated space as a weight saver for improved thrust-to-weight ratio and air-to-air performance!!!

M.A.D

Errr, that actually doesn't save any weight over apophenia's idea of relocating the gun.  If anything it means the gun is kept in the less than satisfactory nose position (as far as weight distribution is concerned).  Putting it under the fuselage, fed from a magazine in the rear seat position, means that the weight of the ammunition is closer to the c-of-g, which means the aircraft would be more manoeuvrable.   All he's proposing is a redistribution of weight, not an increase.  The thrust-to-weight ratio would remain the same and the air-to-air performance actually improved.

Fair enough!

Thanks

M.A.D

GTX

As seen on Secret Projects:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Gondor

With reference to the topic title, Are there any after market decal sets for the F-110 or does anyone have some sitting around spare?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

pyro-manic

I know Hasegawa did a F-110 boxing of their Phantom kit. Don't know how easy it will be to find one, but there's a preview of it on modelling madness: http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/viet/previews/has/00618.htm

GTX: That's gorgeous. :wub:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 19, 2011, 01:23:04 PM
I know Hasegawa did a F-110 boxing of their Phantom "A" kit. Don't know how easy it will be to find one, but there's a preview of it on modelling madness: http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/viet/previews/has/00618.htm

It would be more difficult than getting blood from a stone to find one of Hasegawa's boxing's let alone finding one at a reasonable price seeing that it was a limited run boxing. But Yes that is what I am after, or equivelant decals by themselves as I have enough Hasegawa Phantom kits to build one.

Gondor   
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....